As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me choose a DS RPG

HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
So I've got enough store credit to get 2 DS games. One will be Disgaea and I'm not sure what the other should be. Trying to decide between DQ IV, TWEWY, and Sonic RPG. Looking for suggestions, be it votes for these games or others. DQ IV looks fun and refreshingly old school; Sonic looks good but I haven't seen as much praise for it as for the others. Fellow forumers, help me pick a game!

HeraldS on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TWEWY should be the one you get first, of those.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragon Quest IV, I choose you!

TWEWY is good also!

Food on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm dying to play Lock's Quest. Is that an RPG?

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone is going to say TWEWY. Or at least nearly everyone.

Basically get TWEWY for something really different and unlike pretty much every RPG, DQ4 for a remake of a classic RPG, or Sonic for a game kind of like Super Mario RPG but probably not as good. Note that I'm only 7 hours into DG4 and have only played like 20 minutes each so far of the other two.

But yeah, everyone is going to say TWEWY.

Schide on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This:

Srw_w.jpg

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Etrian Odyssey II just recently dropped to $20.

It's great if you like dungeon crawlers and cartography.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Basically get TWEWY for something really different and unlike pretty much every RPG, DQ4 for a remake of a classic RPG, or Sonic for a game kind of like Super Mario RPG but probably not as good. Note that I'm only 7 hours into DG4 and have only played like 20 minutes each so far of the other two.

Actually, I was going to come in and say almost exactly this, so :^:. Though I haven't played Sonic and I'd definitely say go with either DQIV or TWEWY first. They both differ enough from Disgaea that they won't feel like you're playing the same game, so it's really a matter of whether you want a highly customizable, modern, Nomura-designed action-RPG, or a classic, high fantasy, dungeon-drawling turn-based JRPG.

EDIT: Oh god, EO2 is only $20 now? Buy whatever game you can, then scrouge up an extra Andrew Jackson and go buy that, because that's also awesome.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TWEWY, hands down. It's SEnix's best effort in a long time.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darren66 wrote: »
    I'm dying to play Lock's Quest. Is that an RPG?

I played the demo at PAX

It was pretty enjoyable for a tower defense type game.
    My only problem was everything was so big; you have to move the map to get to open area after building one or two things. The graphics look nice; but, I would have actually bought it if I didn't have to spend so much time scrolling across the map with the D-pad.

The little 'poke these dots in this order'-EBA style mini-games involved in combat and repairing are also a lot better than just sitting around waiting for your cannons to destroy the enemy.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FYI Toys R US is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale soon. Maybe you should wait for that?

urahonky on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Because there is something wrong if you don't.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    FYI Toys R US is having a Buy 2 get 1 free sale soon. Maybe you should wait for that?

Shit, I completely forgot about this! So go buy three games for the price of two next week. Problem solved!

Then go buy Etrian Odyssey II.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I suggest picking up Summon Night Twin Age. I had a lot of fun playing it.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I vote for Disgaea and no other game. Sit on the credit or get something for another system. I couldn't imagine splitting my time between Disgaea and something else, let alone another deep RPG. At least, that's my first choice. If you must get something else go for another genre.

Cucco Leader on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    get Sonic Chronicles

I know, sega is awful and should burn in hell

but as long as they outsource to awesome companies like Bioware they should continue to delay their inevitable implosion

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    256px-final_fantasy_iv_ds.jpg
    The only true answer.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aren't we tired of FF4 yet?

I wish they made FF5, 6 or 7 on the DS. When I played the GBA release of FF5 I couldn't believe how good it was (I had never played it prior), why does Square ignore FF5?

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TWEWY and TWEWY. Buy it twice.

(I'd also be willing to consider TWEWY and Disgaea)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DQIV is better than TWEWY.
    TWEWY is still pretty awesome.
    Both are better than FFIV.

You won't go that wrong with any of the above, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Get Mario & Luigi. Both of them. Your DS has a GBA slot for a reason, damn it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DQIV or Chrono Trigger.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    not enough of you are saying sonic chronicles

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not Contact.

TWEWY.

Senshi on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought I'd have a snappy answer here, but then I realized that all my recent RPGs have been on the PSP. Um... TWEWY would be my pick, just because I also want to play it.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like FF4 quite a lot. If you missed the boat on the snes one it's definitely worth a pickup.

I hear great things about Sonic Chronicles though.

zilo on
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Get FFIV and TWEWY. TWEWY is a no-brainer, but FFIV is fantastic. They added a good bit of replay value with the augment system and new game+ if you're a completionist like me. Also, Chrono Trigger will hopefully be released soon.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FFIV is pretty sick - Never played the SNES version, and I've been loving 4. It's like 3, but with a real story! And it's better in every respect, basically. Also just got back into FFTA2 tonight, but that doesn't answer your question. I've yet to try TWEWY, but yes, the response is overwhelmingly positive... Is it an acquired taste, though? Just how weird is it?

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EO2 if you're looking for a really fun challenge.

Chrono Trigger if you can wait for it, a contender for best RPG ever.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    abstlabstl Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seeing as how developers have completely abandoned the console RPG , which handheld has the better RPG's? DS or PSP?

abstl on

Albie the racist dragon supports this post.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    abstl wrote: »
    Seeing as how developers have completely abandoned the console RPG , which handheld has the better RPG's? DS or PSP?

Depends. Do you like RPGs or SRPGs?

urahonky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'd say it's pretty much tied at the moment at least. DS has TWEWY, DQ4 remake, FF4 remake, Chrono Trigger, the Etrian Odyssey games, Sonic RPG, etc. PSP has FF7: Crisis Core, the Sega Genesis Collection (contains Phantasy Star 2-4), Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, FFT remake, Jeanne D'Arc, etc. Both systems have Disgaea & Puzzle Quest. Some upcoming games on the DS include remakes of DQ5 & DQ6 along with the all new DQ9. On the PSP front, we've got Parasite Eve 3 & a FF13 side-game.

In short, if you want portable RPGs, you'll probably want to buy both systems.

And developers haven't abandoned console RPGs. The 360 is getting plenty of RPGs (both Western and Japanese) and the PS2 is still getting a few quality games like Persona 4 and Eternal Poison. Admittedly, the pickings are slimmer on the Wii & PS3, but they'll probably get better as time goes by, we're still fairly new into this generation.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'd say it's pretty much tied at the moment at least. DS has TWEWY, DQ4 remake, FF4 remake, Chrono Trigger, the Etrian Odyssey games, Sonic RPG, etc. PSP has FF7: Crisis Core, the Sega Genesis Collection (contains Phantasy Star 2-4), Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, FFT remake, Jeanne D'Arc, etc. Both systems have Disgaea & Puzzle Quest. Some upcoming games on the DS include remakes of DQ5 & DQ6 along with the all new DQ9. On the PSP front, we've got Parasite Eve 3 & a FF13 side-game.

And developers haven't abandoned console RPGs. The 360 is getting plenty of RPGs (both Western and Japanese) and the PS2 is still getting a few quality games like Persona 4 and Eternal Poison. Admittedly, the pickings are slimmer on the Wii & PS3, but they'll probably get better as time goes by, we're still fairly new into this generation.
    It's not tied because DS has TWEWY and PSP does not.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's not tied because DS has Rocket Slime and PSP does not.
    Better

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been thinking about getting Dragon Quest IV as well, but the last DQ game I played was DQVIII, and I got tired of it really quickly due to the boring combat and incredibly dull plot.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DQ4 is amazing and you should play it. Lest we point and laugh. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm really surprised so many people came away impressed from TWEWY

I don't like Persona either, though, for pretty much the same reason

(TEENAGERS)

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You honestly didn't like Persona because they were teenagers? Man that sucks. The Persona series is great!

urahonky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Beck wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people came away impressed from TWEWY

I don't like Persona either, though, for pretty much the same reason

(TEENAGERS)

I find this amusing since Persona is one of the few Japanese RPG series where there's a game where all of the playable characters are adults (Persona 2: Eternal Punishment). Admittedly, the other Persona games all focus on teenagers, but hey, it beats the pre-teens in other RPGs. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does Golden Sun count? Cause it's most excellent and, darn it, we're in need of a sequel.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MAKE UP YOUR OWN DAMN MIND

Renzo on