As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No More Heroes 2

1515253545557»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    Who designed the rank 1 fight.

Who.

If I ever find out and then meet this person, I will destroy his or her life, and the lives of everyone they have ever met. I will make them beg for death. I will take everything beauty in the world and then force them to watch it all burn.

Hey, person who designed this fight - fuck you.

edit - ...okay, so I may have said some rather mean things in haste. I did just beat that little fucker, after all, so I'm all the sudden feeling more charitable.

Still though. Whoever designed that boss is bad at...things. And stuff.

I tried about 20 or so times and gave up. Fuck that shit so hard.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    Who designed the rank 1 fight.

Who.

If I ever find out and then meet this person, I will destroy his or her life, and the lives of everyone they have ever met. I will make them beg for death. I will take everything beauty in the world and then force them to watch it all burn.

Hey, person who designed this fight - fuck you.

edit - ...okay, so I may have said some rather mean things in haste. I did just beat that little fucker, after all, so I'm all the sudden feeling more charitable.

Still though. Whoever designed that boss is bad at...things. And stuff.

I tried about 20 or so times and gave up. Fuck that shit so hard.

it only started to make me see red on bitter

to beat the last boss (or, you know, the part of it everyone's always raging about) you need cyborg reflexes and two pieces of knowledge

first, you only need to dodge the first and third parts of his punch combo, since unless you're cornered then the second hit will always miss if you dodge the first

second, the gust-punch can be avoided completely with a charged attack

there! now the fight is only mostly luck-based instead of almost completely luck-based

Rust on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was also unable to do almost all of the stamina minigames. I think I did maybe 3 or 4.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was also unable to do almost all of the stamina minigames. I think I did maybe 3 or 4.

yeah, past number 3 i had to flip the wiimote around so that i could tap one of the buttons with my thumb instead of my index finger

after that it became doable

Rust on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rust wrote: »

yeah, past number 3 i had to flip the wiimote around so that i could tap one of the buttons with my thumb instead of my index finger

Oh whoops, I meant the one that you have to have some sort of rhythm... Is that strength?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rust wrote: »

Oh whoops, I meant the one that you have to have some sort of rhythm... Is that strength?

oh, yeah, that's generally regarded as the harder of the two by a fair margin

i beat the final stage on my first try, which convinced me that i was some kind of minor videogame-related deity

it's slightly less frustrating if you know that the pass/fail acts on an invisible percentage, so you can get smacked by a few barbells and still pass (the spinners count for much more, obviously)

but beyond that, there's no tricks aside from trying to maintain a steady tempo

Rust on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finally got around to playing both games.

The first one was quite an experience. I hated the level design, the driving, the jobs and the awful loading times...and yet I don't think I would've enjoyed the game as much without them.

Which the sequel confirmed for me. While it fixed every complain I had with the original, it also lacked the energy that made me love the first one so. I ended up rushing through the second half of the game in one sitting, just to get it over with. I finished it just a few hours ago and it left me both exhausted and done with Travis Touchdown.

I would still recommend both games to everyone I know.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I didn't know where to post this, and I'm not one to start threads, really, but I went off and tried out the demo for the PS3 re-release of No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise.

And, well, god damn.

It's a wonderful little thing, to be honest. Granted, I don't have an Eyetoy or a Move, nor am I really that inclined to spring for all that, thank you very much, but, the Paradise edition seems to be really something to consider. It won't be out until August 16th, but I'm really considering it. Even though I already own the original, and Desperate Struggle, on the Wii.

It simply looks better, for one. The graphics don't quite have the half/cell shaded look, but, there is gorgeous pop going on. Everything is replete with beautiful shaders and nicer textures. I'm not about to begrudge someone remaking a game from a few years' back better, but damn it, it counts for something, and it looks...pretty damn good.

Then there's the additions to the game beyond the port. I'm just snagging from the Wiki on this, really, but it really merits getting noticed:

It's kind of a No More Heroes 1.5, as it sets to include some of the bosses from Desperate Struggle into things. Skelter Helter, Nathan Copeland, Kimmy Howell, Matt Helms and Alice Twilight are in the game as additional fights. How is this resolved in the plot? Hell if I know. But this would seem to be a beefier, better version of No More Heroes, while maintaining the Santa Destroy roaming elements too. Yes, they're there.

However, a lot has been fixed that way too:

- The Ability to warp straight to any Side-Job or Assassin Mission once the player has beaten any of them at least once.

- A retry option was added to the Side-Jobs, Assassin Missions, and Free Fights. However, it only appears when the player has failed in either.
    -Five new Side-Jobs were added: Signaling, Sign Spinning, Kitty Race, Bust A Coconut and People Bowling. (I'm asssuming this somehow works in conjunction with the five additional bosses in the game, perhaps)

-Oh, and Five new side mission types as well.

-Players are now able to revisit Ranking Fights and cinematics from Travis' motel room armchair, in the form of nightmares and dreams.

Additionally:

A "Score Attack" mode has been added that lets the player refight all 15 of the game's bosses and compete for a high score online.
    That's right. A Boss Rush Mode is included too!

Lots of other little touches are in. The special attacks can be stored, now. There are supposedly more customization options and clothing items in the new game. It all sounds just about ideal. There's always something more you can dream up to add to a game, but as it is, this could well be the definitive edition.

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The controls in the demo really killed it for me. Like I thought about getting it, but I'm having second thoughts now. First off I know it takes getting used to, so I can buy that. However the first thing I noticed is that charging the sword doesn't match the speed you shake the controller at. That's fucking stupid, because it kept up pretty well on the Wii. It makes it hard to tell how fast you're charging. Second, and this is inexcusable, is that you have to press R3 to do a Deathblow. What the fuck game, what could possibly be the reasoning behind that? That's like if in the Wii version you had to press C on the nunchuk every time. It's ridiculous, stupid, and breaks the flow of the game. There's no reason at all to not do a Deathblow. Ever. Maybe you want to do a sideways one instead, but no player has ever at any point during either game said "Oh you know what I just don't want to do a deathblow. Nope. I hate them and I hate that the game tries to make me do them. Well fuck you game, I'm just going to sit here." If you can turn on auto Deathblow I'll consider buying it again.

Gilder on
  • Options
    That was a little weird. And I'll admit one of the things I greatly enjoyed on the Wii was performing the deathblow, and, in the frozen instant of it, being able to wheel the camera around to the next fucker to set him up right. Can't seem to to that here.

I do want to say that having high/low strikes mapped to the face buttons plus the kick/grab actions really allowed me to mix it up a hell of a lot more than I ever managed to on the Wii. Not that No More Heroes ever necessarily had combos, but, the play is definitely different here.

Still. A prettier, roam-optional Santa Destroy with more jobs and quests, plus some of the Desperate Struggle bosses? And some redesigned streamlining of the clunky Suda interface (retry options, warp options, replay fights and cinematics at any time)? I wish it had Captain Vladimir and the anime hallucination included, but, you know, honestly, this is a pretty nice deal to me. Plus I dig the premise of any third party game getting an updated re-release with expanded improvements and additional content.

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    It does look really good. The extra boss fights included from NMH2 take place in some generic multipurpose stage. They're not the actual stages from the second game.

Kinda funny that this and and that chainsaw cheerleader game look quite a bit better than Shadows, too me anyway.

Ohh and that Sine Mora game has a trailer, for anyone who remembers what that is.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I picked up Red Zone, and the way it handles the extra bosses is pretty simple. Whenever you save at the apartment you are asked if you want to sleep after saving. If you do, you fight one of the extra bosses. I've only fought Helter Skelter, but I imagine you just go through them in a set order.

The controls for the bike are awful though. It's unresponsive and the collision detection is abysmal. Good thing the bike isn't that important.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    The bike is unashamedly weird, no joke. But...there is something in that weirdness. After admittedly several hours of that damned bike, I was able to start burning donuts and figure eights into the street. It's actually possible to control it. Just, for whatever reason, they chose to make the bike an abusive joke of a vehicle from the get-go.
    Lenore03 wrote:
    It does look really good. The extra boss fights included from NMH2 take place in some generic multipurpose stage. They're not the actual stages from the second game.

WHAT?

Booooo. Matt Helms needs to be in the abandoned hellshack you trash as you fight. Honestly, I guess I couldn't care that deeply about the others, but the essence of his character is a damned soul trapped in the woods. Guess not, now.

• Options
    I'm weak and picked up Hero's Paradise. I thought it was $40, but it was $30. That was all I needed I guess. I haven't checked the trophies yet, but if there's one for golding every side assassin gig I'm not getting it. I already did it on the Wii and getting a gold on the mission with the guys with guns on the beach where you can't get hit is the worst thing in the world. It is completely up to luck if you win or not, because sometimes Travis just doesn't block the bullets.

• Options
    I really miss Heavenly Star. I don't know if they had it in the japanese version of Hero's Paradise, but it's not in this one. Naomi's Lab just has some japanese rap song now, which I guess is okay, but the thing about NMH is the whole game used to have like four songs outside of boss songs. They just remixed them a million times. Without Heavenly Star there's more unique songs and I don't know if I like that. It feels less like the game is screwing with me.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dammit!

I mean, Hurray! No More Heroes 3.

I just... I'd been really hoping it'd star Shinobu.