As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of warrants and speeding tickets.

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got a speeding ticket early of last month and I forgot about it until I found the thing while cleaning today.

The court/pay by date was the 30th of September.

Now, I got this ticket in another city (same state) and I plan on mailing a check in with the fine ASAP. However, will this mean that everything will be ok?

Is there a warrant out for me in my city?

How does this work?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What state are you in?

Call the traffic court tomorrow, ask for an extension.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It depends on the state, but in MI they just suspend your license for a little while till you pay it. I imagine if you take Than's advice you'll be fine.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I will do that come morning.

I live in Kansas, btw.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Do what I do: throw it in the glovebox and forget about it. Seriously, my friends dad got a speeding ticket in utah 10 years ago and his solution was simple: keep the money and don't ever go back to utah.

(please note: this horrible advice and should be promptly disregarded)

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They want your money, they don't particularly want to bother hauling you into jail, so I'm betting there's no actual warrant issued.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Do what I do: throw it in the glovebox and forget about it. Seriously, my friends dad got a speeding ticket in utah 10 years ago and his solution was simple: keep the money and don't ever go back to utah.

(please note: this horrible advice and should be promptly disregarded)

Don't do this post. Ever again. Only warning.

Also most states have agreements between each other to forward tickets. Even most states vs. most Canadian provinces. That's right, get busted speeding up North and there's a good chance that one day that ticket WILL come back to haunt you and it won't be cheap at that point.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    They want your money, they don't particularly want to bother hauling you into jail, so I'm betting there's no actual warrant issued.

Technically there probably is a "bench warrant" issued. Which basically is never acted upon unless you are pulled over for something else and the police look you up, at which point they'll arrest you.

Also, make sure you pay that ticket off quickly. Speeding tickets tend to accumulate penalties extremely quickly and what was once a $150 ticket can balloon into a $800 fast.

Last Son on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Technically there probably is a "bench warrant" issued. Which basically is never acted upon unless you are pulled over for something else and the police look you up, at which point they'll arrest you.

In Michigan, if you don't pay, don't show up for court, and don't respond when you're notified you're license is suspended, this is what they do. However, there's a slim chance you won't be doing anything else and still get pulled over. Happened to my girlfriend last month, an officer for some reason just happened to check her plates at a red light and then pulled her over and arrested her.

And tickets do crank up fast. She could have had it all out of the way in June for $175, but ended up in September with $1200 in fines (the original ticket plus driving on a suspended license), $650 in bail, and $200 in impound fees.
    Edit: she caught me typing and corrected me on the amount. I'm also not having sex tonight.

I don't know the timeframe this all happens in. She did get a notification in the mail that her license was suspended until she showed up and paid, which she also ignored. Not all places might give that notification, but either way, get it taken care of before things get worse.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hevach wrote: »
    And tickets do crank up fast. She could have had it all out of the way in June for $175, but ended up in September with $1200 in fines (the original ticket plus driving on a suspended license), $650 in bail, and $200 in impound fees.

This is why you pay your tickets on time and say "thank you sir".

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg