As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alternative to coffee

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a replacement for my morning coffee. I only have 1 cup a day in the morning, but my doctor recommends that I lay off it(cholesterol, etc. :P). I usually put cream and sugar in my coffee because the taste of straight up black coffee is unbearable to me.

Energy drinks do squat for me, so they are out. I heard green tea is good, but I run into the same taste issue I have with black coffee.

Anyone have a good morning pick me up drink I can look into? Doesn't even have to be a drink.

tallgeeze on

• YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I replaced coffee with Green Tea. I hated the taste too at first and it took a while to get used to it, but now I love the stuff.

Plus it's good for you.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Try green tea with some honey in it.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yerba Mate, sometimes with a touch of splenda. It's good stuff and apparently quite good for you. Try reduced or 1% milk instead of cream (which I use for coffee etc because HOT COFFEE COLD MILK).

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Try different kinds of tea and maybe you'll find one that you like. If it's too bitter, try adding a little bit of honey to them. A little honey can make tea awesome and it's better for you than cream and sugar.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I'm looking for a replacement for my morning coffee. I only have 1 cup a day in the morning, but my doctor recommends that I lay off it(cholesterol, etc. :P). I usually put cream and sugar in my coffee because the taste of straight up black coffee is unbearable to me.

Energy drinks do squat for me, so they are out. I heard green tea is good, but I run into the same taste issue I have with black coffee.

Anyone have a good morning pick me up drink I can look into? Doesn't even have to be a drink.

You might want to avoid the "drink" issue altogether. Do you skip breakfast? I find that if I skip breakfast I drag ass. However a good breakfast in the morning usually wakes me right up.

However if your sole reasoning for dropping the coffee is the cholesterol/caffeine mixing, green tea is probably not the best alternative since it still contains a small amount. Definitely better than coffee though, I also second the honey in it if you can't stand the sometimes grassy taste.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Real men drink peppermint tea.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If it's not a drink, I'd recommend a nice, big bowl of muesli + fruit + cold milk (or soy milk, goat milk, etc.). Doing some kind of puzzle while I'm eating also helps wake me up - crosswords or Sudoku or even Brain Age if you've got a DS.
    Fallingman wrote: »

Damn straight.

Cyvros on
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Diet Mountain Dew is good any time of the day or night. In copious quantities.

DrFrylock on
    edited October 2008
    Mint tea is very good, however I'm not sure it's a good "pick-me-up" type drink.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A cup of coffee is good for you. Just stop putting all that crap in it. :P

DeShadowC on
    edited October 2008
    rfalias wrote: »

1 cup of coffee a day is just as healthy for you, apparently according to medicinenet.

However, I think the issue is not so much the coffee, but something else causing the cholesterol. I wonder if it runs in his family.

bowen on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

Spearmint tea. Spear. Mint. Spearmint. Now that is a mint with real character.

Or you could get some milk and make a tea latte with a smidge of honey.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bowen wrote: »

1 cup of coffee a day is just as healthy for you, apparently according to medicinenet.

However, I think the issue is not so much the coffee, but something else causing the cholesterol. I wonder if it runs in his family.

The choice of cream/sugar he requires for coffee?

But that seems unlikely to cause a major issue with heart health.
    I'd be willing to bet its something else.

rfalias on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah, coffee is generally good for you, its just what else you put in it.

Generally tea is something like half the caffeine content of coffee, and with a wide varieties of them you don't have to find yourself stuck with the same tired boring stuff. Certain teas go with milk, honey, sugar, or lemon.

Energy drinks are shitty by a large degree, I recommend against it.

Another thing that would help your morning depends on the breakfast you are eating. Get some protein in there by eggs or some nuts (healthy nuts like walnuts or almonds). Avoid really sugary foods as you will just crash midday.

Doxa on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I could have sworn reading that drinking water in the morning gives your body a natural boost in the morning. I have a bottle or two in the morning at work and it helps get me going.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    edited October 2008

The choice of cream/sugar he requires for coffee?

But that seems unlikely to cause a major issue with heart health.
    I'd be willing to bet its something else.

He'd have to be massively blasting his coffee with them to matter in a cup a day. I'd definitely be suspicious of some other blaring problem like genetics. I'd probably wager to dance around the village naked if it was found a cup of joe is the sole cause for high cholesterol or even if it's going to matter in the slightest.

bowen on
    edited October 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I could have sworn reading that drinking water in the morning gives your body a natural boost in the morning. I have a bottle or two in the morning at work and it helps get me going.

Yes, usually with some bran too. I've had good times with some meat, but with high cholesterol you have to watch that.

bowen on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Try a good english breakfast tea, a lot like coffee, but so much better. I would just stay away from putting anything in it, ruins the taste of a good tea in my opinion.

Dark_Side on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Try coffee, but with an artificial sweetener and no cream. Or a small amount of Coffee-Mate (the light variety has half the fat of the regular kind).

Unless the doctor is suggesting you skip caffeine so that your cholesterol problem doesn't cause a stroke. Perhaps it might be good to ask him *why* coffee specifically, so you can figure out if it's caffeine he's asking you to drop, or just how you take your coffee?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I brought up the cholestrol angle since I'm fatty Mcfatcraton. When I told my doctor my I drink a cup of coffee in the morning he said to try and cut that out.

I will try the different teas you guys brought up. peppermint tea sounds interesting. I do try to eat a good breakfast, but it's difficult since my job is real busy in the mornings.

tallgeeze on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing about tea is that it's an acquired taste. Try forcing yourself to drink it for a week or so and see if your opinions on it change. I used to hate it, but after dating my girlfriend who drinks it almost invariably, I will now actually order it voluntarily at restaurants.

Rend on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I brought up the cholestrol angle since I'm fatty Mcfatcraton. When I told my doctor my I drink a cup of coffee in the morning he said to try and cut that out.

I will try the different teas you guys brought up. peppermint tea sounds interesting. I do try to eat a good breakfast, but it's difficult since my job is real busy in the mornings.

Hmm, I don't know if you told him that you put stuff in it, but a cup of coffee daily should help cut down on your risk of heart disease, I think, which would be the primary concern with being fat.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited October 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Hmm, I don't know if you told him that you put stuff in it, but a cup of coffee daily should help cut down on your risk of heart disease, I think, which would be the primary concern with being fat.

Yeah eliminating foods high in saturated fats should be your primary concern at this point. Couple that with more exercise and drinking water, and maybe some pills if you're on them, you'll probably see a huge decrease in your bad cholesterol levels. Looking at a cup of coffee as a cause or as a reason for lowering high cholesterol is really a weird thing to do, especially for a doctor.

bowen on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erios wrote: »
    Yerba Mate, sometimes with a touch of splenda. It's good stuff and apparently quite good for you. Try reduced or 1% milk instead of cream (which I use for coffee etc because HOT COFFEE COLD MILK).

I love me some Mate. So much that I wrote up a big post on how to prepare it the traditional way.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Mate is relatively comparative to coffee in it's chemistry. The compound it lists as a caffeine alternative is actually just another medical name for caffeine. Which I never understood, but seems to be linked to reduced heart problems in people who drink it.

bowen on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are about a billion different teas, so try and buy some sort of tea sampler pack. It would be freakish if you didnt like one.

NotYou on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For green tea especially I'd try a bunch of different companies (and some of those flavors that are now also available); some I really like and some taste utterly disgusting (entertainingly, I like the lipton/other obviously americanized ones more than the green tea you'd get in a traditional asian restaurant)

Gdiguy on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Yeah eliminating foods high in saturated fats should be your primary concern at this point. Couple that with more exercise and drinking water, and maybe some pills if you're on them, you'll probably see a huge decrease in your bad cholesterol levels. Looking at a cup of coffee as a cause or as a reason for lowering high cholesterol is really a weird thing to do, especially for a doctor.

I told him all the things I regularly eat and drink. When I told him how I like my coffee that's when he said cut it out if that's the only way I'm gonna drink it.

Coffee is good for me now, but in 5-10 years I will hear a news report saying it causes cancer(or something just as bad).

I'm incorporating that right food and exercise stuff, but first I need to settle the morning beverage delimma.
    I'm going to get a variety of teas and some honey(everyone seems to suggest that) then see what sticks.

tallgeeze on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Coffee is good for me now, but in 5-10 years I will hear a news report saying it causes cancer(or something just as bad).

Right after they say that apples are highly carcinogenic.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Erios wrote: »

I love me some Mate. So much that I wrote up a big post on how to prepare it the traditional way.

Oh that is just the coolest.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.