As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey guys, guess what awesome new game I got! (MegaMan 9 thread)

PataPata Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
megaman9promoartkq0.jpg

Yup, look at it. Mega Man 9

It's totally awesome, you play as this robot Mega Man, who's having to stop this evil mad scientist Dr. Wily who's trying to take over the world. He has this cool gun for a hand and get this, after he kills the evil robot, he gets a new weapon. From the evil robot!

It's amazing.

The graphics are awesome too, I mean look at the box, Ultrasound Graphics Synthesis! That has to be cool!

...oh crap, the bell's ringing, we'd better head back to class. Come over to my house after school and we'll play it!

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
Pata on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I need to get back into playing this. I played for a few hours the night I bought it and haven't really touched it since.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still have to beat MM1, and remember it this time.

Alcohol is shitty, and I don't even know if my friend is fucking with me or not.

But fuck that big yellow thing near the start of Wiley's level.

hard.

Then I have to beat MM2.

Then maybe MM9, which I've already downloaded.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I bet the cover art is from the Japanese version, it's too good for NA.

We're probably just gonna get some shit on the cover.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nickle wrote: »

Alcohol is shitty, and I don't even know if my friend is fucking with me or not.

hard.

There's no shame in using the Pause Trick.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Making my Wily run right now. Hope I survive. Should have bought the half damage item.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Someone should steel those megaman 9 castle crasher style images and put them in the OP. :P

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Pata wrote: »

hard.

There's no shame in using the Pause Trick.

That might be how I beat it before, someone told me about it that night. I have a compulsion to beat it normally, but I might breakdown and use the trick. Assuming I can drag myself away from de Blob, which makes me much happier while I play it, quite the contrast to MM1 and THAT FUCKING YELLOW DEVIL THING ARGH FUCKDAMNIDON'TEVENHAVETIMETOSHOOTYOU

Nickle on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dude, I heard from the smelly kid who sits at our lunch table that there's a nude code in the game! We should totally try to find it at our next sleepover.

I downloaded MM9 on a whim and got through Galaxy Man and Splash Woman but the rest of the game has quickly cowed me into submission. My platforming skills have gotten so rusty over the years; BC Rearmed reminded me of this, but I actually managed to beat that. MM9 just laughs at me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Dude, I heard from the smelly kid who sits at our lunch table that there's a nude code in the game! We should totally try to find it at our next sleepover.

I downloaded MM9 on a whim and got through Galaxy Man and Splash Woman but the rest of the game has quickly cowed me into submission. My platforming skills have gotten so rusty over the years; BC Rearmed reminded me of this, but I actually managed to beat that. MM9 just laughs at me.

I did the same thing. My first playthru consisted of me getting a game over, at the very first pit in Concrete Man's Stage. It was sad.

It generally only took me 2 or 3 play thrus of a level to actually get to the bosses though. and all but two of them were finished the same time I made it to them.

Kor on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ahh, new megathread smell. To celebrate, a gift of gif!

running.gif

Delzhand on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Ahh, new megathread smell. To celebrate, a gift of gif!

running.gif
    That does not have ULTRASOUND GRAPHIC SYNTHESIS.

What time are you in? The 90s? PFFT.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how much was the MM9 press kit selling for, anyway?

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    $50. And it didn't even come with a DL voucher.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Guys I just picked up this strange game called Bionic Commando.

You can't even jump, it's crazy!

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woot! It only took 4 etanks and an mtank. But I beat Wily.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Someone should steel those megaman 9 castle crasher style images and put them in the OP. :P

Steal? :cry:

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I finally got around to comparing the PS3 and Wii versions of the game. I know some people were repeating what they heard about the PS3 version having "muddy" colors. That is not the case. Colors on the PS3 were just as vibrant as their Wii counterparts.

Since I didn't want to buy the game twice I compared the full WiiWare version to the PSN demo, so I had to use Concrete Man's stage to compare. I compared both at 480i over composite and I had a hard time remembering which input I was on because they were practically identical).

I also tried 480i over component on Wii vs. 480p/1080p over HDMI on PS3. The only significant difference there was the Wii version had ... I'm not sure what to call it ... pixel bleed? Wherever two contrasting colors met, there would be a thin line of a third color (ie: a dark brown line where brown and very light brown pixels met). This gave the Wii version a slightly harsher look to it.

The only other difference I could spot regardless of resolution and cable type was that the "trees" in the PS3 version had a slight red tint in their brown.

I think I would have preferred the PS3 version, but I had to buy the Wii version to make the comparison. You guys totally owe me 1,000 Wii Points.

Dirty on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    So I finally got around to comparing the PS3 and Wii versions of the game. I know some people were repeating what they heard about the PS3 version having "muddy" colors. That is not the case. Colors on the PS3 were just as vibrant as their Wii counterparts.

You need to view the game through Nintendo-fanboy tinted glasses to get the full experience. Go play 10 rounds of Smash Brothers then try it again. The nintendo version will look better.

But seriously, thanks for taking the time/effort/spending the money to do the test.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guys I just picked up this strange game called Bionic Commando.

You can't even jump, it's crazy!

CRAZINESS!

Slagmire on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    THAT FUCKING YELLOW DEVIL THING ARGH FUCKDAMNIDON'TEVENHAVETIMETOSHOOTYOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_GnjntufY&fmt=18

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Airman song is overrated as all hell though.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I never thought Id actually do anything in this game, but wow, Ive beat Splash Woman, Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, and Magma Man, its awesomeness, its funny going through levels now from when I first tried, cause I do so much better and it just makes me laugh that i couldnt do a damn thing when I first tried them. I really like that about this game, you really DO get so much better, and you WILL notice it.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Beat the game over lunch! Take that Wily. I used 1 1/2dmg item and 1 E-tank on Wily.

I even had 5 lives ready to go when I got there.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    So I never thought Id actually do anything in this game, but wow, Ive beat Splash Woman, Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, and Magma Man, its awesomeness, its funny going through levels now from when I first tried, cause I do so much better and it just makes me laugh that i couldnt do a damn thing when I first tried them. I really like that about this game, you really DO get so much better, and you WILL notice it.

Yeah I burned through the time trial of Concrete Man and Tornado Man after finishing the game this morning. Was laughing at how many tries it took me to do the first time through and now I can finish CM in under 2 minutes and TM in under 3.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What am I not getting about concrete man's concrete shot? As far as I can tell, he shoots, hits me, I take a fuckton of dmg. I don't know how I could ever kill him without the L.Trident.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What am I not getting about concrete man's concrete shot? As far as I can tell, he shoots, hits me, I take a fuckton of dmg. I don't know how I could ever kill him without the L.Trident.
    Dodge his shots by running away from him then jump on them and shoot at him. Standing on one of his blocks insulates you from his stun.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Will he not shoot past me? So the close I am to him, the more safe?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Will he not shoot past me? So the close I am to him, the more safe?

You want to be close to him when he lands, and then start moving away from him. If you are already far away he'll usually hit you.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, thought the next MM thread was going to be an "all-purpose Mega Man thread" or something. Ah well.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I need to get back into playing this. I played for a few hours the night I bought it and haven't really touched it since.

This is a crime against humanity

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah I burned through the time trial of Concrete Man and Tornado Man after finishing the game this morning. Was laughing at how many tries it took me to do the first time through and now I can finish CM in under 2 minutes and TM in under 3.

Yeah I know! I played the demo and just LAUGHED at how stupidly hard it was and was like "pff, this game is impossible, fuck it!" Cause in the demo, the first time I played, I seriously lost a whole continue at the first jump in concrete mans level, oh yeah, thats bad, then by the time I finished the demo that first time I played I could only make it just past the second jump and it just made me think the game was impossible. Then suddenly I had some urge to play an old game like this and was like...hmm...I must! So I played the demo until I finally beat the level (up to the boss of course since you cant fight him) and decided to buy it, now that level makes me laugh and I can beat it so damn easily I really wonder how I sucked so much then.

Oh, and, Jewel Man and Plug Man are all I have left! Wooot! (and then the fun part begins from what i know) but even so I really didnt think Id ever make it this far. I keep dying in Jewel mans level when you have to make this jump where the wall to the right has spikes all over it, the ceiling has spikes, and so does the part below the little hole I have to try and jump in. Its impossible. I keep trying to time it so I dont hit the ceiling spikes but ARGH DAMMIT. :( And plug mans level well, its not bad, but hes just a goddamn bastard..

mastrius on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a problem with the levels, but the Robot Masters are giving me problems. If I have their weakness, no problem - but if I go buster only it's a joke.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Plug Man down! Im comin for you Jewel Man...

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok I have a question about Jewel Mans stage...
    Im now at that part where you jump on the swingy thingy in that pit of spikes and you need to jump in that small hole thats below, but the wingy thingy is right about the hole so I cant just jump in unless I swing the swingy...but when I swing the swingy I smash into the spikes and die >.> Im very confused at this...

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Im now at that part where you jump on the swingy thingy in that pit of spikes and you need to jump in that small hole thats below, but the wingy thingy is right about the hole so I cant just jump in unless I swing the swingy...but when I swing the swingy I smash into the spikes and die >.> Im very confused at this...

I just bought the shock guard

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Weak sauce.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    RegReg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe I'm insane, but I'm about to play MM6 again. Couldn't really stand the game last time I played it. Maybe my opinion of it will change. Before, I wasn't crazy about MM5 but when I played it again on MMAC, I dug it.

Check MM3 w/Lyrics EXTENDED REMIX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6OHe4KaEc

Delzhand, those sprites are AWESOME. So good, I had to pimp them in a blog entry.

Reg on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darren66 wrote: »

Weak sauce.

Swing and jump
    swing and jump
    jump and fall.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    darren66 wrote: »

Weak sauce.

Swing and jump
    swing and jump
    jump and fall.
    If I wasn't supposed to use it, I wouldn't be able to buy it.

I REGRET NOTHING!

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg