As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• Options
    The SnertThe Snert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Jade, and I'm male. I hated it growing up, but now I think its pretty rad. Girls seem to like it

The Snert on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Otto. I don't like the name all that much, since it mainly reminds me of old German men. And it's written the same way backwards, which for some wierd reason pisses me off.
    doctor-octopus-2954.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    It took me a long time to really fall in love with my name.

Harvey Clinton Higginbotham IV

But my actual given name is very rarely used by anybody anymore, which makes me kind of sad. If I have kids and if I have a boy, I'll be continuing the naming convention so I can call him "V." Tell me that's not fuckawesome.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, if we're talking usernames.

I was Jameserson because I couldn't think of a good username, and that was a nickname I had at the time. Eventually I got sick of it and asked CT to shorten it (before the coin-flip thing started). But it is my real name.

edit: and W_H wins the thread.

James on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Otto. I don't like the name all that much, since it mainly reminds me of old German men. And it's written the same way backwards, which for some wierd reason pisses me off.
    It's also "toot" inside out, which is pretty funny.*

*credit to George Carlin

Bama on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, you're that Guy. No, everyone's stalking you, we just use your name like man/dude to throw off the scent.
    I'm keeping my eye on you... :P
    Maybe you should break out the old-style pronunciation of Guy. Like "gee", except it's an actual g and not a j/dz sound.
    When I was an altar boy, back in the day, we had this old priest who was actually from France. He called me gee (rhymes with key). ... Keep the priest jokes to yourselves.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the name Quincy for a boy. It makes me think of a geeky little fellow in a bowtie. Also Misha and River and Giovanni.

For a girl, I like the name Teagan. (tee-ghan).

My theory is that if you name your kids something uncommon, they either grow up to be really rad or really lame. It's a sink-or-swim thing. And if you pick something really strange, they can shorten it to something unique. Like if you name your kid Oberon, he could go by Obe (oh-bee) if he's awesome or Ron if he sucks.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    doctor-octopus-2954.jpg

otto2.gif

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I seriously cannot imagine meeting someone in real life named Alastair or Chronos. I don't even know how I'd react :P

Props to Wonder_Hippie for having the most fully qualified name I've ever seen.

On the topic of awesome names, I went to school with someone who had the last name Fightmaster. I wish I had that last name...

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Jeremiah, i hated it for the longest fucking time. Now i kinda like it. I've had people ask me why i don't just shorten it to jeremy, or jerry, and i tell them that neither of those are my name, and my main problem with my name was the constant "JEREMIAH WAS A BULLFROG" upon telling my name to new aquaintances, which isn't a problem with the name itself but the silly douche nozzles who's minds immediately jump to that song and think they might be the first person to point out that i have the same name as a frog in a 40 year old song.

On the terrible name note. My step mother is an insurance agent, she has sold medical policies to people for their children, and has on numerous occasions been horrified by the names people give their spawn. Three just appalling standouts being, Walmarta (girl), Syphillis (girl, apparently pronounced seh-PHILL-us) and Gahnoria (also girl pronounced GONE-oria) the disease named children were sisters. There are no words to descripe my despair when i try to envision those young ladie's high school lives.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the name Quincy for a boy. It makes me think of a geeky little fellow in a bowtie. Also Misha and River and Giovanni.

For a girl, I like the name Teagan. (tee-ghan).

My theory is that if you name your kids something uncommon, they either grow up to be really rad or really lame. It's a sink-or-swim thing. And if you pick something really strange, they can shorten it to something unique. Like if you name your kid Oberon, he could go by Obe (oh-bee) if he's awesome or Ron if he sucks.
    My girlfriend wants to name the kids she has with the man she dumps me for stuff like "Jerimiah" and "Obidiah" and basically all the biblical names that no one likes. I don't know why.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wish my last name was McAutumnbottom.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My girlfriend wants to name the kids she has with the man she dumps me for ...

what?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My girlfriend wants to name the kids she has with the man she dumps me for ...

what?

I'm not getting her pregnant, that's for damn sure.

Edit: Plus, god willing she'll find a wealthy man. I could live in the pool house or something we'd figure shit out.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    :^:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fee is a good name and should win the competition.

Naming is hard because I want something good that won't be shortened to something bad.

So Llewelyn and Edgar are out, because I don't want any Lou or Ed.

Boys- Ashford, Selis, Something with a B...Braylon, Brayton, Byron, Brand, Calgary!

Girl- Alma, Madison, Nina, Camille

Also hard because I have bad taste and need to contain myself.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Had a freind in highscholl who's middle name was Armitage. he hated it, I thought it was fucking bad ass.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Boys- Ashford, Selis, Something with a B...Braylon, Brayton, Byron, Brand, Calgary!

Lord Byron Farthammer!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    doctor-octopus-2954.jpg

otto2.gif

All I can think of is 'My name is Otto, and I loooove to get blotto'.

Also I have three first names as my first middle and last name, I constantly get e-mails from people at other companies I'm working with that address it to my last name as if it were my first.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »

Lord Byron Farthammer!
    Alastair Vaginafoot -"Allie to his many, many friends."

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Matthew. I go by "Buck".

When I have a son his name with either be:
    Mark
    Vincent
    Elijah

or some combination of the three. For some reason Mark-Vincent sounds cool to me but I recognize that it's stupid.

My family has a tradition of naming the males an "M" name, and the middle name being Robert. I may or may not break this tradition, I don't know.

If I have a girl instead then I will die of sadness.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name's Edgar, and I went through my childhood being called Edgar except for a few times... My Spanish teacher from Spain always kept trying to call me Edgardo and I kept correcting her but she would never listen to me. I only started being called Ed when I was in the military when people should have been calling me by my last name... Yay Air Force, eh?

If I have a girl I want to name her Audrey after Audrey Hepburn. Not really sure what I'd name a boy, something sexy I imagine.

animale on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    animale wrote: »
    Not really sure what I'd name a boy, something sexy I imagine.

Rico.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If I have a girl I want to name her Audrey after Audrey Hepburn. Not really sure what I'd name a boy, something sexy I imagine.
    Audie kind of sounds like Audrey.

Bama on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Rico.

Rico Suave Arroyo does have a nice ring to it.

animale on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Rico.

Rico Suave Arroyo does have a nice ring to it.

Your last name is Arroyo? Rico Arroyo is possibly the greatest name in this thread. You owe it to humanity to name your first child that, regardless of gender.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the name Lucia for a girl, but I doubt a significant other would let me get away with it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, I've ended up with two versions of my name in English, all because my original name was in Mandarin. Fakes some people out - but I swear, it wasn't intentional.

See, there are "official" rules to romanise characters from Mandarin to English and so when we emigrated, my parents dutifully got the rulebook, and not really knowing English, just followed the romanisation rules. This, unfortunately, just led to an English name that sounded nothing like my Mandarin name when read by a normal English speaker. So this is what I call my "formal/passport name", since they're the only places where I use it. I actually don't respond when people use this name unless I'm especially looking out for it - it's not because I'm ignoring them, it's because they say it in such strange and wonderful ways when trying to pronounce it that I don't actually recognise it.

My "normal" name was actually given to me by the principal of the primary school where I got enrolled. He took one look at my passport name and said, "So, I can see your name may cause some problems since we might have problems saying it. Would you like to pick a common name like say... Kenny, or John, or Cameron?"

Me, being five at the time, just went, "But I like my name. My name is [such and such]. I like my name. I'm not going to change names. I want to be called [such and such]."

"But... that's not how people would pronounce it."

"But that's my name."

The principal and my parents, bless them all, realised that arguing with this particular five year old wasn't going to go anywhere and reached a compromise.

"Tell you what, how about we make up a word that, when pronounced, sounds like your Mandarin name?"

"Ok. Since that's my name!"

So now I have a name that's a bit strange, but sounds vaguely like the last character of my name in Mandarin. Works for me.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You need to give specifics because now I want to know.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You need to give specifics because now I want to know.

Was this to me?

I'm hesitant, because if I did, you could internet stalk me. I mean, I love you guys and all, I've been lurking in D&D and watching you guys chat, but... mmm...

Edit: Sweet irony, I've been stalking you guys.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that was to you. I mean, of course, it's entirely your choice whether or not you want to but I'm hella intrigued now.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It took me a long time to really fall in love with my name.

Harvey Clinton Higginbotham IV

But my actual given name is very rarely used by anybody anymore, which makes me kind of sad. If I have kids and if I have a boy, I'll be continuing the naming convention so I can call him "V." Tell me that's not fuckawesome.

oh my god, no wonder you're so angry

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that was to you. I mean, of course, it's entirely your choice whether or not you want to but I'm hella intrigued now.

Hmmmm... well, what's the harm, right?

Well, one of the characters in my Mandarin name is "逸". The official romanisation at the time when we emigrated was "I". It's pronounced something closer to "Ee", which is what I go by nowadays.

In hindsight, it would've been hilarious if I had forced everyone to stick with "I" as my name, due to the possibility of placing blame on other people through them mispronouncing it.

"I did it!"
    "You did?"
    "No, *I* did it."
    "You?!"
    "No, *I* did!"

Just like naming your kid "No-one". Unfortunately, my classical education was lacking in those days.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a grad student teacher in college whose name was Rattawut Lapcharoensap

He went by "A"

He's now a published author

Medopine on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I know a Higginbotham.

Vietnam Vet. Project DELTA. Mother fucker was hardcore. Threw him in the jungle with an objective and two other dudes who were just as bad ass and told them not to come back until mission accomplished.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I had a grad student teacher in college whose name was Rattawut Lapcharoensap

He went by "A"

He's now a published author

I should form a league of "People Whose Names Sound Like Letters". I know a Jay already and could start looking for an Elle.

I feel bad for the person who has to represent P. =/

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well, one of the characters in my Mandarin name is "逸". The official romanisation at the time when we emigrated was "I". It's pronounced something closer to "Ee", which is what I go by nowadays.

In hindsight, it would've been hilarious if I had forced everyone to stick with "I" as my name, due to the possibility of placing blame on other people through them mispronouncing it.

"I did it!"
    "You did?"
    "No, *I* did it."
    "You?!"
    "No, *I* did!"

Just like naming your kid "No-one". Unfortunately, my classical education was lacking in those days.

So, your English, romanized name is just "I?" Like, that's your entire given name?

You should become an existential philosopher.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    I know a Higginbotham.

Vietnam Vet. Project DELTA. Mother fucker was hardcore. Threw him in the jungle with an objective and two other dudes who were just as bad ass and told them not to come back until mission accomplished.

My dad served in the same battallion as two other Higginbothams. It's a remarkably common name. One of my profs was a Higginbotham, and another one of my profs knew another Higginbotham that had gone to the same school I was in two decades ago that I was probably unrelated to.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

"I did it!"
    "You did?"
    "No, *I* did it."
    "You?!"
    "No, *I* did!"

So, your English, romanized name is just "I?" Like, that's your entire given name?

You should become an existential philosopher.

I totally should.

*ba-dum-pish*

I'm here all week folks!

But nah, that's just one of the characters in my Mandarin name. I've got another two which I'm keeping secret. =P

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've got a weird name.

Taven. Yeah. Only place I've ever seen it elsewhere is Mortal Kombat, and it was pronounced differently.

As for my kids names? If I had a boy, some old Viking name like Leif or Loki or something kick-ass.

If I had a girl, well, I don't know. Something pretty.

Gorilla Salad on