As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Age of Empires/Mythology online?

r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I got a hankering to play me some AoE/AoM. Does anyone know if people still play these games online? I don't even know what was the last game in the series to come out. Which one is the latest and greatest?

r4dr3z on

• Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm reinstalling Age of Mythology and its expansion right now.

My friend is planning to install his copy later

We could form a club!

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I just reinstalled Age of Mythology and expansion recently. No one I knew liked it, but I did. Hell yes, Vikings!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Age of Mythology is where it's at, huh? Are there people online to play with?

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Age of Mythology was such a poorly designed game. Just fundamentally broken.

Some fun things to do:

1) Build a wonder on a small island. On every inch of the rest of the island designate a wall. Lots of 1-3 square long little pieces of wall. See you cannot target any spells (including the teleport or underworld passage) anywhere where a building has been designated. Even if its not built. Also lots of little crisscrossing wall segments give the pathfinding conniptions.

Odds are your enemy will not be able to get any guys out to your wonder before time is up.

2) If you are Greek build myrmidons. That's all really. Hordes of nothing but myrmidons. So unbalanced.

3) Go norse and build lots of battering rams as soon as they are available. Split up into group of 1-3 and designate each against a different building in the enemy base. Usually you can take out 50-75% of their buildings even if they have an army.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember playing Starship Troopers custom scenarios in AoE II. Incredibly fun. Too bad I lost all my scenarios and no one plays it anymore :(

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Age of Mythology was such a poorly designed game. Just fundamentally broken.

Some fun things to do:

1) Build a wonder on a small island. On every inch of the rest of the island designate a wall. Lots of 1-3 square long little pieces of wall. See you cannot target any spells (including the teleport or underworld passage) anywhere where a building has been designated. Even if its not built. Also lots of little crisscrossing wall segments give the pathfinding conniptions.

Odds are your enemy will not be able to get any guys out to your wonder before time is up.

2) If you are Greek build myrmidons. That's all really. Hordes of nothing but myrmidons. So unbalanced.

3) Go norse and build lots of battering rams as soon as they are available. Split up into group of 1-3 and designate each against a different building in the enemy base. Usually you can take out 50-75% of their buildings even if they have an army.

Yeah, I think the trick is to play these games with someone who hasn't beaten the game to death and explored all the options. When I go back to play Starcraft now, I'm finding people who can run circles around my zealots with zerglings, people who completely wall me in their probe line so i can't do damage unless I'm actually watching the units, and a bunch of other things that are mostly annoying. At some point, all these advanced tactics take the fun out of the game.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those are just symtoms of terrible game design endemic to Age of Myth (seriously, it's no surprise that studio is going under. I'm just shocked it took this long).

Most of the units in the game are pointless. It is massively geared toward quick rush-only games. Walls and defenses are completely pointless thanks to the overabundance of crush-damage units. Nearly all crush-damage units are themselves pointless because no one in their right mind builds walls etc...

Ooh, something else fun but not terribly effective: Load up 15 war elephants into the Egyptian flying transport unit and drop them on the enemy base.

Edit: Compare this to Supreme Commander. Now there is an RTS with superb design.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    superbly boring!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RiemannLives

How does it feel to be incapable of feeling joy.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AoM was awesome only because you could worship thor and unleash ragnarok.

and titans.

titans.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget the infinite God Power cheat.

Meteor death everywhere.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember the cheat that gave you a flying pink hippo with dragon wings that attacked with hearts and was followed by a rainbow.

and the one to get a giant boy with a fork.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    RiemannLives

How does it feel to be incapable of feeling joy.

Quite devoid of any joy.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]