As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR SCIENCE FICTION

• Options
    Threadbare SockThreadbare Sock regular
    edited October 2008
    atleast he wasnt a white supremacist like lovecraft

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • Options
    Rampant EntityRampant Entity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Which is why I find it funny that S.T. Joshi is pretty much the most respected figure in the study of Lovecraft's works.

Rampant Entity on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Lovecraft's racial attitudes were purely Zeitgeist. If he were born in 1980, he would doubtlessly be unflinchingly liberal.

Even back then, he was considered to be pretty progressive, along with H.G. Wells, who had similar viewpoints about the superiority of whites.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    The theory of relativity isn't the most complex idea.

And it's just a theory. I personally think the universe is so completely huge and complex beyond our comprehension that to think we know any real answers about it when it comes to scale that large is kind of naive.

No you are stupid.

As an idea it is fucking genius tell me someone else that came up with the idea that time was able to be adjusted that the speed of light was no longer a constant.

As a concept to understand to teach it is simple. As an idea it is revolutionary.

It has also managed to stand up since 1915 or whenever it was proposed. Shit in 1923 I think Einstein went, hey here is an experiment to test it. And it worked.

People who don't want to see how the universe is made are people without large aspirations in life.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Rampant EntityRampant Entity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shorty wrote: »

Lovecraft's racial attitudes were purely Zeitgeist. If he were born in 1980, he would doubtlessly be unflinchingly liberal.

Even back then, he was considered to be pretty progressive, along with H.G. Wells, who had similar viewpoints about the superiority of whites.

Apparently Lovecraft was pretty appalled by Germany's behaviour during the 30s.

So yeah, racist? For sure.

But crazy facist dickhead? Definitely not.

Rampant Entity on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In 1900, there were maybe five white people on the face of the planet who thought black folk were just as good as white folk. The fact that some otherwise pretty enlightened people weren't on that list is nothing to hold against them. It's purely commentary on society as a whole at the time.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Yes I know about it, I have read several Hawking books.
    i cannot stop laughing
    You are cool dude, real fucking cool.

Also, fuck you, you know you are wrong and are just being a bitch about it.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    WAITAMINUTE YOU'RE NOT FIZ AT ALL

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes I know about it, I have read several Hawking books.
    i cannot stop laughing
    You are cool dude, real fucking cool.

Also, fuck you, you know you are wrong and are just being a bitch about it.

you are just precious

I'm going to pinch your cheek

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    morning dear thread

i wonder what that guy thinks i'm wrong about

i didn't directly attack any of his claims

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lovecraft was racist beyond the norm of normal "of the times" racism.

Also; couldn't dance.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have The Forever War sitting on a shelf not twenty feet away from me right now

Maybe I should read it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    it's pretty good military scifi. not all fascist and shit like Starship Troopers

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speaking of Alien directors, the only way I could see this being better is if Cameron picked it up instead but Scott is still going to be fantastic.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What is James Cameron even doing these days

I heard something about some movie/videogame combined project dealie, and then maybe remaking Ghost in the Shell into a live action flick or something

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He's making Avatar. Which nobody knows anything about. Well I guess there are aliens or something.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Avatar is a 3-D CG animated movie about humans who breed with aliens or something.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i don't think it's animated, just using some sort of new 3D tech

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I meant Aliens/The Abyss/ T2 Cameron I guess. Damn, I don't even know what the last movie he made was.

What the FUCK he hasn't directed a movie since TITANIC?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There was a boat and Billy Zayne and boobs.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Avatar, previously known as Project 880, has an estimated budget of $200 million, is a 3D film currently set for a December 18, 2009 release, and will mark his first feature film since 1997's Titanic. It will be composed almost entirely of computer-generated animation, using a more advanced version of the "performance capture" technique used by director Robert Zemeckis in The Polar Express. James Cameron wrote an 80 page scriptment for Avatar in 1995 and announced in 1996 that he would make the film after completing Titanic. In December 2006, Cameron explained that the delay in producing the film since the 1990s had been to wait until the technology necessary to create his project was advanced enough. The director is planning to create photo-realistic computer-generated characters through motion capture animation technology using his new virtual camera system. The film was originally scheduled to be released in May 2009 but was pushed back to December 2009 to allow more time for post production on the complex photorealistic CGI and to give more time for theatres worldwide to install 3D projectors.

Gut instinct says it'll suck/bomb horribly

But that's just the pessimist in me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i don't think it's animated, just using some sort of new 3D tech

It's kind of unclear even in the wiki article here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_880
    In December 2006, Cameron explained that the delay in producing the film since the 1990s had been to wait until the technology necessary to create his project was advanced enough. The director planned to create photo-realistic computer-generated characters by using motion capture animation technology, on which he had been doing work for the past 14 months. Unlike previous performance capture systems, where the digital environment is added after the actors' motions have been captured, Cameron's new virtual camera allows him to directly observe on a monitor how the actors' virtual counterparts interacts with the movie's digital world in real time and adjust and direct the scenes just as if shooting live action; "It’s like a big, powerful game engine. If I want to fly through space, or change my perspective, I can. I can turn the whole scene into a living miniature and go through it on a 50 to 1 scale."[34] Cameron planned to continue developing the special effects for Avatar, which he hoped would be released in summer 2009. He also gave directors Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson a chance to test the new technology.[4] Spielberg and George Lucas were also able to visit the set to watch Cameron direct with the equipment.[16]

Other technological innovations includes a performance-capture stage, called The Volume, which is six times larger than previously used and an improved method of capturing facial expressions. The tool is a small individually made skull cap with a tiny camera attached to it, located in front of the actors' face which collects information about their facial expressions and eyes, which is then transmitted to the computers. Besides a real time virtual world, the team is also experimenting with a way of letting computer generated characters interact with real actors on a real, live-action set while shooting live action.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    wait, it requires a 3d projector?

i think new york has one

the IMAX one

that's a pretty horrible plan to make money

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    my local theater has a 3D projector :whistle:

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy is my favourite forumer for informing me of this movie.

Woo!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i'm saying that one screen per city is not going to make him any money

Faricazy on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Forever War that is, not this avatar shit whatever that is who cares FUCKING FOREVER WAR GUYS!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

a man can only make the top-grossing movie of all time once in his life

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

a man can only make the top-grossing movie of all time once in his life
    fair point

who are we to judge the filthy rich bastard

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I will be very bitter if Avatar turns out to be great and I can't watch it because my state doesn't even have an IMAX

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Scotch TapeScotch Tape __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I been reading the dune books and they are dang good

Scotch Tape on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I take it scotch tape was an alt

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Probably

I am forced to wonder who of

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I know I am late to this thread but I can not wait until this comes out. The Forever war has to be one of my favorite books of all time. Very few books can I actually emphasize with the protagonist but this one always gets to me. The coming back from "war" and seeing how everything has changed is really personal to me. I really hope Ridley Scott doesn't fuck this up because I would hate to have to kill him after all he has contributed to Sci Fi

Casper on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Every person who has seen footage of Avatar/seen the 3D capabilities has said that it's amazing

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    slight rant with spoilers:
    there is a review on amazon that ends with this:
    Don't read any further unless you want the ending spoiled. The fatal flaw of this novel, in my opinion, is that a 250 page novel was wrapped in the last eight pages as our hero, now a major, finds out that his thousand year war was all a mistake perpetrated on purpose by the military brass who wanted to boost the economy of Earth. For 200+ pages we are treated to war, war and more war. Then it the last eight pages, we find out a thousand year life has been nothing but a mistake perpetrated by amoral men. The Forever War was an interesting read, but the plot wrap didn't sink in too well for me. I'm in the middle of a real war in Iraq and there are two groups here who have been killing each other for about 1,200 years on and off. They are called Shia and Sunni. I'm not sure how realistic it is to ever expect that a war, once begun, will end with a societal epiphany like "Oh, it was all just a giant miscommunication. Everyone stop fighting."

War may be a monument to human stupidity, but we've got a lot of stupid left to kill off and some of us seem to be breeding even more stupid. Until we fix that, war is going to be a fact of being human. The Forever War is an enjoyable read but it didn't really change my worldview any.

At first I felt like he missed the point of the ending but the practically grazed it in the last paragraph so I don't know. But, what I got from the book is that rather than a communication error, the perpetration of war from the mankind side of the conflict was precisely due to our nature, nature that had to be changed. In the book review he's writing it off for what it appears to be on the surface, and that's a very simplistic stance to take.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    slight rant with spoilers:
    there is a review on amazon that ends with this:
    Don't read any further unless you want the ending spoiled. The fatal flaw of this novel, in my opinion, is that a 250 page novel was wrapped in the last eight pages as our hero, now a major, finds out that his thousand year war was all a mistake perpetrated on purpose by the military brass who wanted to boost the economy of Earth. For 200+ pages we are treated to war, war and more war. Then it the last eight pages, we find out a thousand year life has been nothing but a mistake perpetrated by amoral men. The Forever War was an interesting read, but the plot wrap didn't sink in too well for me. I'm in the middle of a real war in Iraq and there are two groups here who have been killing each other for about 1,200 years on and off. They are called Shia and Sunni. I'm not sure how realistic it is to ever expect that a war, once begun, will end with a societal epiphany like "Oh, it was all just a giant miscommunication. Everyone stop fighting."

War may be a monument to human stupidity, but we've got a lot of stupid left to kill off and some of us seem to be breeding even more stupid. Until we fix that, war is going to be a fact of being human. The Forever War is an enjoyable read but it didn't really change my worldview any.

At first I felt like he missed the point of the ending but the practically grazed it in the last paragraph so I don't know. But, what I got from the book is that rather than a communication error, the perpetration of war from the mankind side of the conflict was precisely due to our nature, nature that had to be changed. In the book review he's writing it off for what it appears to be on the surface, and that's a very simplistic stance to take.
    I can kind of understand were he is coming from (being a frustrated soldier not sure why they are fighting a war they do not believe in) but he has missed the big issue, which you mentioned, human nature. He also doesn't mention at all how human kind evolved and learned from its past. Also being a member of the military he is most likely homophobic and I am sure that helped to bias his view on the ending of the story.

Casper on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    morning dear thread

i wonder what that guy thinks i'm wrong about

i didn't directly attack any of his claims
    Sorry, drunk post...

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Casper wrote: »
    I know I am late to this thread but I can not wait until this comes out. The Forever war has to be one of my favorite books of all time. Very few books can I actually emphasize with the protagonist but this one always gets to me. The coming back from "war" and seeing how everything has changed is really personal to me. I really hope Ridley Scott doesn't fuck this up because I would hate to have to kill him after all he has contributed to Sci Fi

Is it wrong that I think this post is pretty funny

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    The theory of relativity isn't the most complex idea.

And it's just a theory. I personally think the universe is so completely huge and complex beyond our comprehension that to think we know any real answers about it when it comes to scale that large is kind of naive.

No you are stupid.

As an idea it is fucking genius tell me someone else that came up with the idea that time was able to be adjusted that the speed of light was no longer a constant.

As a concept to understand to teach it is simple. As an idea it is revolutionary.

It has also managed to stand up since 1915 or whenever it was proposed. Shit in 1923 I think Einstein went, hey here is an experiment to test it. And it worked.

People who don't want to see how the universe is made are people without large aspirations in life.

Hahahaha this is funny do you have some kind of vendetta against me you sad pathetic fuck? This is the second post you have replied to me of saying I have no aspirations in life based on nothing but your own dipshit internet judgement.

You didn't say anything to disprove my opinion that thinking we know universal truths about, well, the universe, is simply foolish. Just because you can apply realities we know to be true on our planet to the surrounding planets, maybe even the solar system, doesn't guarantee the entire rest of the universe, which keep in mind is only even fractionally observable because the light from other galaxies and stars supposedly haven't even reached us yet. We can assume we are right, but there are no facts, and that's all im saying.

I'm not saying the theory isn't of value, it is of value and it's a great breakthrough of human critical thinking, applying a well thought out reason and explanation to something that most people have never approached. It is a revolutionary idea and I respect it. I want to see how the universe is made, but I'm not going to 100 percent subscribe myself to any concept and not think of other possibilities or other unknowns. I'm just trying to avoid any certainty unless it's absolute proven fact, which unfortunately is not often found.

Urian on