As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brains On]Zombie Panic! Source: Now with exploding zombie heads.

Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Zombie Panic: Source
omfgys8kp2.jpg
Oh hai guyz!

What is this?

Zombie Panic: Source is a HL2 modification that pits the legions of the undead against a team of humans trying to survive.

Valve has released Zombie Panic:Source officially through Steam. You can download the mod directly from the Steam games list!

So how does this work?

Everyone joins a server, in the beginning you can either choose to join the human team or you can volunteer to be the first zombie. If no one volunteers the game will pick one human randomly and the game begins. The starter zombie's goal is to, of course kill the humans while the human goal is to stay alive as long as possible, complete objectives, or even wipe out all the zombies. The catch is that when a human is slayed he will simply join the ranks of the undead, now ready to finish off his old living teammates.

The humans can't tell by the player list who's alive and who's not, eventually there will only be one survivor still standing if all goes wrong, facing all the zombies which use to be allies, with his back to a wall. The zombies only have a certain number of reinforcements (lives), when a zombie is killed they lose 1 life from the counter. However, when a human is killed they gain 1 life. If the zombies only have 1 respawn left the humans can win the round by killing off the remaining undead left on the map.

This is the main concept of how the game works but of course, but with additional game modes there is a bit more variety to it.

Human Advantages:
Speed - A zombie can only run at about 80% of the top speed of a human player. Though, the more weaponry and ammo a human picks up, the more it will slow him down tremendously, making him an easy target for the undead. If carrying nothing a human can easily outrun a zombie. Watch out so you don't get cornered...

Weapons - The humans will have a wide selection of different weapons to use for defending themselves, like firearms, explosives and melee weapons. It is essential for humans to locate weapons and ammo around the map in order to survive, since you only spawn with a random melee weapon and handgun scavenging is a must. Remember that your inventory is limited and hogging weapons will slow you down, so sharing with your teammates is a must which also promotes teamwork.

Numbers - At the beginning of the round, there is only one zombie and everyone else is a Survivor. This means that they can easily watch each others backs and provide cover fire. However, once their ammo starts to run dry and they begin to squabble amongst themselves for the few precious clips of ammo available...

Communication - Instead of typing messages to each other (occupying busy hands), which can be really dangerous when the zombies are lurking in the shadows, the humans will have the ability to communicate by voice commands. There will be a menu with several commands that can help the humans to organize a defense, trade ammunition and request help.

Zombie abilities and advantages:
Regeneration - Zombies will over time regenerate hit points making it more difficult for survivors to make dead the undead.

Carrier - The first Zombie of the round will differ a lot from the other undead, he will look different, sound different and have abilities that the average zombie can only dream of. He is the Carrier! More info on this will come later.

Persistence - Zombies may seem to die often, but they won't give up. They just keep re-spawning over and over until your pistol runs out of bullets, your back is to the wall, and there is no escape.

Numbers - Later on in the game, as the undead ranks swell with the freshly dead, the last few humans will find their superior weaponry small compensation for the hordes of zombies that close in.

Zombie Vision - With the zombies not being able to use a flashlight, we have given them the ability to use Zombie Vision. Z-vision works in a way that it brightens up any possible light source in a room to make it more viewable. More importantly, humans that keep active will slowly begin to glow red making it easier for a zombie to track their prey. To prevent games of hide and seek a survivor over a period of time of sitting still will also start to glow red by fear of the unknown.

Where do I play this?

We have our own dedicated server again!

IP: 74.207.227.159
PW: wang

b_560x95.png

Is there anything important I should know before I play this?

Here are some tips from the official FAQ:
Why am I so slow? (AKA, How the fatigue system works)

By this point, I'm sure you've noticed that you slow down over time. This is the new fatigue system at work. The idea is to bring out the zombie advantage of undeath: They may be slower than you, but they don't get tired.

In short, here is how the system works:

1. Running around takes "stamina". You have a set amount of stamina, represented in the top left of the screen by the bars to the left of the running man.
2. Standing still is like "resting", and restores stamina at a quick rate. Walking is less intensive than running, and therefore restores stamina, but at a slower rate.
3. You have a few seconds of "free" stamina, since you don't get tired instantly when running in real life. In game, this means you will not start slowing down until two of the bars have depleted.
4. Panicking gives you a few seconds of "panic stamina", meaning a temporary speed boost and restoration of stamina. Be careful though, it wears off quickly, and you cannot panic very often.

Why did that guy turn green in zombie vision? (AKA, how the infection system works)
I think you all pretty well understand how infection works, but here it is from the zombie's standpoint. Just to make sure there are as few questions as possible.

1. Only the "Carrier" can infect survivors. It occurs randomly, and cannot be controlled in any way by the carrier. It just happens.
2. When you infect someone, they will immediately turn green in zombie vision. They will not know they have been infected however, until about 30 seconds later.
3. You will get a "kill" point if the person you infected lets the infection set in and actually turns without being killed or committing suicide.

Why did my health cross just turn into a blood splat? (AKA, infection from the survivor's point of view)
Now, a quick overview of infection from the survivor's perspective.

1. If you are infected, the first indication you get is that the screen suddenly turns black for a brief second, a sound plays, and the health cross turns into a splat icon.
2. Once you realize you are infected, other survivors can kill you. And they get a point for it, too. So if you intend on sabotaging the survivor team, keep quiet about your infection.
3. Once you turn, you will lose all weapons and will turn immediately. Zombie vision will turn on automatically.

What does ZPO in the map name mean? (AKA, how objective mode works.)

1. Humans win by completing the objective. Zombies win by stopping the humans.
2. Humans cannot win by killing all the zombies in this round. There are an infinite number of zombie lives in this mode.
3. At present, there is no easy way to inform users of the current objectives. This will probably change soon.

Why is one of the zombie's names orange on the scoreboard?
This is a new feature that indicates that a person is the carrier. So if you are the carrier, your nick will be orange on the scoreboard.

How the heck does all this barricading get done so fast?

1. As a human, you can "push" an object around. To do this, simply holster your weapon and press alternate fire (right click by default). This will "push" an object further than you would normally push it by just hitting it with a melee weapon.
2. As a zombie, you have a slightly stronger and more frequently usable push. Simply alternate fire (again, right click by default) at any time and you will push barricade items around.

Screenshots
You can make barricades!
zps_subway0005.jpg

You can hit zombies with frying pans!
zpsindustry0001sl3.jpg

Get hugs from zombies!
zps_deadend0007.jpg

Can we come in and play?
zpsdeadblock0002customyx0.jpg

Job_41:25 on

• AsterithAsterith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, people are playing and I'm stuck at work. That should be a crime!! A crime I say!

Asterith on
    camo_sig.png
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bluedotlogo.gif

donhonk on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll join when I get home just to call sm_voteff

Because holy hell does it make the game more scary when you can't just bash random heads to infection-check. D:

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you aren't playing, then I gotta ask you: Why aren't you playing?

Peewi on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you are making a barricade PLEASE use your push or just guide the object by walking into it (if it's light enough).

Do NOT use your melee weapon to move it. It will break. Then you will have no barricade. I've seen people do this with the couches so many goddamn times.

Asiina on
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    If you are making a barricade PLEASE use your push or just guide the object by walking into it (if it's light enough).

Do NOT use your melee weapon to move it. It will break. Then you will have no barricade. I've seen people do this with the couches so many goddamn times.

I'll BREAK yo FACE OFF

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    donhonk wrote: »
    bluedotlogo.gif

Try being more subtle.

Fuga on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What'll break? The couch? How does a couch break? You can't break a couch with a crowbar. That doesn't make sense.

That doesn't make any god damn sense!

Sarksus on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No, I am pretty sure if you were to take any old couch and then whack away with a crowbar it would eventually be reduced to bits and pieces.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because holy hell does it make the game more scary when you can't just bash random heads to infection-check. D:

Reinstalling through Steam and liming this for truth. I hate constant infection checks. If somebody is infected, either they let themselves die (lame) or people get mad at them for helping the zombies. It's supposed to be secret for a reason. Infection checks leave no middle ground or room for surprise.

Also, apparently I like italics.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LISTEN ASSHOLE

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited October 2008
    No, I am pretty sure if you were to take any old couch and then whack away with a crowbar it would eventually be reduced to bits and pieces.

I don't agree with you at all. You don't make any god damn sense.

Sarksus on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    collecting a stash is necessary for surviving a zombie apocalypse
    weaponstashea0.jpg
    not shown is the 2 or 3 rifles under my feet and a bunch more melee weapons and pistols under me & the folding chair

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SoaL wrote: »
    weaponstashea0.jpg
    not shown is the 2 or 3 rifles under my feet and a bunch more melee weapons and pistols under me & the folding chair

Damn, your team must be pissed. All bogartin' all the shit and...shit.

mcdermott on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    weaponstashea0.jpg

stash collecting for life! (I'm the other guy)

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    weaponstashea0.jpg

Damn, your team must be pissed. All bogartin' all the shit and...shit.
    Nope, I just came back whenever I ran out of ammo and picked up a new gun.

Got like 11 kills that round.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    this does not seem like a fun game, all you who play it are dumb i heard!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited October 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

no u

donhonk on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

no u
    true

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I just installed this again after I had to reinstall windows a few weeks back. I didn't give it a fair shot back then but I intend to now. Just had one game and everything seems way smoother and better animated since I tried it last. The transition to Steam did it some good.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    bluedotlogo.gif

Try being more subtle.

Seriously, what the hell? It's not too hard to post something that's vaguely relevant and not get infracted.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

And also, you can holster your weapon by pressing H. Then, using mouse 2 you can whack stuff around.

Zandracon on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Reposting this for the glory of weapon hoarders everywhere
    mp5.jpg

Also choppa noooooo!!!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You people should get on the server so I can shoot you in the face, or eat you in the face.

Edit: Actually I'm just going to play D2 for a while. Maybe I'll shoot you guys later.

Also that is a lot of guns. mp5 and bullets. lots of them both.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The server is empty. I did my best to fix this, but it appears that I am only one man. :(

Because holy hell does it make the game more scary when you can't just bash random heads to infection-check.

Does this mean we always get to vote for friendly fire?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Asterith wrote: »
    Played Tanker for the first time the other day. Man, if you don't have a guide to read or someone to follow, you're doomed in that map. Although seeing the carrier jump off into the water and swimming around trying to get back on was rather hilarious.

I think that was me. And that wasn't swimming around looking for where to get back on, that was me swimming to the lifeboat entrance and waiting for any half drowned humans to appear. Not sure if its the most sporting thing to do as a zombie, but it works.

Mercutio87 on
    edited October 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »

And also, you can holster your weapon by pressing H. Then, using mouse 2 you can whack stuff around.

Well that was in the OP already.

Asiina on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »

Well that was in the OP already.

How many people actually read the OP? Well, no, maybe I'm the only one who skims through it.

Zandracon on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    server get!

MrDelish on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Server got?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited October 2008
    Why aren't you stupid bastards playing?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited October 2008
    Im not that stupid! But ok Ill play.

donhonk on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We played. And wait, Don Honk got infracted? Didn't he just get out of jail? I don't even know how he does it.

I can't believe everyone just ASSUMES I killed the human when it was clearly a zombie that ate him. I didn't even fire my gun in fear of blowing donhonk's brains out. instead. Soal did it! And then when I got eatted, Donhonk attacked me! The indignity of it all!

Arminas on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    this game looked cool but wasn't that fun, i tried it and found that that the zombies lost basically 95% of the time and that makes it kind of boring.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited October 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    We played. And wait, Don Honk got infracted? Didn't he just get out of jail? I don't even know how he does it.

I can't believe everyone just ASSUMES I killed the human when it was clearly a zombie that ate him. I didn't even fire my gun in fear of blowing donhonk's brains out. instead. Soal did it! And then when I got eatted, Donhonk attacked me! The indignity of it all!

Haha, I made Tube angry cause I replied to one of his infractions with "hahahah"

Cause I thought it was genuinely funny, wasn't trying to make him pissed.

Sry Tube! :P

donhonk on
    edited October 2008
    this game looked cool but wasn't that fun, i tried it and found that that the zombies lost basically 95% of the time and that makes it kind of boring.

Who did you play with? Zombies win like 95% of the time on the PA server.
    Arminas wrote: »

Last game I was so guilty because I thought I kept killing people. I thought I killed Soal, but it turns out Asiina killed him so my conscience was cleared, but then I killed Asiina the next round...

I feel like throwing myself at the zombies, I deserve it.

Sarksus on
    edited October 2008
    That was so funny. I was just waiting around that corner, staring at the rifle ammo listening to you guys.

Sarksus: "I want that rifle ammo. I don't know, should I go get it? I really want that ammo. I don't have much ammo."
    Soal: "I'll go get it for you!"
    *Soal jumps over their barricade*
    *I run around the corner and start clawing away*
    Soal: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH OH GOD OH GOD AAAAAAAAAAHHHH"
    *om nom nom*
    Sarksus: "Oh, I still had a clip left"

Asiina on
    edited October 2008
    Oh God I am laughing so hard remembering it.

Actually I knew that I had the full clip in the gun but I wanted what was downstairs. A clip of rifle ammo gets used up pretty quick, at least when I'm using the rifle.

Soal was so nice, to try and get it for me...

Sarksus on
    edited October 2008
    Soal has revived this game for me so much. His frantic and panicy screams when he's found just make the game so much more fun.

Asiina on
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While we're on the subject of gunning down homies. I would like to apologize to everyone on the server tonight.

But, that first guy totally had it coming he got hit by the carrier like 5 times. I was just watching out for the good of the group.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy