As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer to TV

tralevtralev Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to view video from my laptop on an older tube TV (red, white, yellow inputs).

I think I need more than just a VGA to Composite cable right, I need an actual converter box?

Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
tralev on

• Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yup. You might find them at Radio Shack.
    In my experience laptops usually have crappy resolution when hooked up to TV.
    Smaller, less powerful video cards.

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's not just laptops, a standard NTSC (and to a lesser degree) PAL television has terrible resolution, color restrictions, and so on. You will probably need something called a scan converter. Cheapo versions go for ~$50 or less, but you can spend $1000s on a scan converter if you want. Effective TV resolution is less than 640x480, and often the edges of your screen will be cut off (shouldn't be too much trouble for video). Also, the color range on a TV is more restricted than on a laptop.

If you want a lot of detail about this issue, see here. Otherwise, just get a cheapo box.

Also, are you sure that your laptop doesn't have a composite or S-Video output already? Many made within the last ~10 years do.

DrFrylock on