As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Used) Playstation 3 Reliability

KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I am going to purchase a PS3, primarily for LBP but also for the other plethora of games out... and I want a 60 GB PS3 because I really want the BC to play some old PS2 games (SotC particularly)

A few Gamestops nearby have used 60 gigs in stock, my question is if anyone knows how reliable these are? Should I be afraid of it breaking and me being screwed? Is Sony good on repairs or is it really expensive and time consuming? Should I even bother buying a used 60 gig for 30 dollars more than a brand new 80 gig?

Any info would be helpful

Karrmer on

• Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tough call. the only used console I bought was a oXbox and that died. but I traded it in.

gamestop clerk told me it didn't work. I just gave them my proof of extended warranty and told him to put the credit onto DSlite pre-order.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I bought a launch PS3 used, still kicking. However I bought it direct from the user (through Craigslist) at $500 back when the 80 gigs were $500, but it came with a plethora of games and two controllers so overall my deal was superior. I don't know that I would pay more than the current price of a PS3 to get one.

JAEF on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They're super hard to find on Craigs list.

It basically comes down to paying 30$ for a PS2 that has amazing upscaling (since all I have is an HDTV)... but having to deal with it being a used PS3.

I really want that backwards compatibility, but I also want it to work ;) Just wondering if the PS3 is anything like the old 360's...

Karrmer on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I highly doubt that you'd find a problem with one, though there have been isolated reports (not as widespread as RROD though) so take that with a grain of salt.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    I am going to purchase a PS3, primarily for LBP but also for the other plethora of games out... and I want a 60 GB PS3 because I really want the BC to play some old PS2 games (SotC particularly)

A few Gamestops nearby have used 60 gigs in stock, my question is if anyone knows how reliable these are? Should I be afraid of it breaking and me being screwed? Is Sony good on repairs or is it really expensive and time consuming? Should I even bother buying a used 60 gig for 30 dollars more than a brand new 80 gig?

Any info would be helpful

Anecdotal evidence: My PS3 died on me, so they do go out. It's not as big of a problem as the RROD, but PS3s die, so you'll always have to live with the fact that it may take a dive at some point. As far as I know, Sony charges 150 bucks to fix a non-warrantied PS3. Their shipping, fix time, etc when I sent back my dead one was really fast (a week or so).

Personally, if you can find a new 80 gig with software BC, I'd just go with that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    First off it really depends on the dealer and the unit. Pretty sure KitA got a bad deal when he grabbed one for Disgaea 3, you might wanna ask him about it if he doesn't reply in the thread.

I myself bought a second hand japanes ps3 and it's been working smooth as butter for over a year.

The ps3 doesn't have any manufacturing defects like heatsink problems or whatever the hell the xbox had, it's a really sturdy little machine. Just make sure you give it enough space around it for it to use the fans it has inbuilt, and clean the dust from the in and out vents every few months. I'm not saying it'll explode if you don't, but it's better to be safe than sorry since its an expensive appliance.
    Any problems you have with one are probably going to be freak problems related to transport/handling or getting really unlucky with a bad individual machine. It's got a very low failure rate.

Kita got real unlucky, I don't know if he managed to get his working in the end.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gamestop will give you a warranty on any refurbished/used system you buy from the them, so they're always a safe bet.

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd just like to throw in the idea that the 60gb PS3 is like the holy grail, and just about as hard to find. I'm personally running on the idea that if one shows up in my path I'll buy first then ask questions later.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Syd Lexia wrote: »
    Gamestop will give you a warranty on any refurbished/used system you buy from the them, so they're always a safe bet.

To Expand:

Just bought a oXbox from Gamestop yesterday for my brother's birthday. It comes with a 30 day warrenty but they did try to sell me a 1 year on top of that.

I didn't ask how much but I would consider that with a PS3. I'd figure what you pay would cover any beatings for a year. And hopefully within that year Sony will get it back together and release another full BC system.

Also, don't forget the MG system was 80gb with software BC. But you sound like me and would rather have hardware. Hence, the reason I'm still waiting ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just a note on ps3 customer service: it sucks.

i downloaded the newest firmware update and it froze my ps3. i called into customer care, they tried to troubleshoot it, couldn't fix the problem, then tried to charge me $150 to fix the machine. i told them they had to fix it for free because it was their software that broke it. they refused.

so now i am actually suing sony in small claims court for breaking my machine. we'll see what happens.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ketherial wrote: »

i downloaded the newest firmware update and it froze my ps3. i called into customer care, they tried to troubleshoot it, couldn't fix the problem, then tried to charge me $150 to fix the machine. i told them they had to fix it for free because it was their software that broke it. they refused.

so now i am actually suing sony in small claims court for breaking my machine. we'll see what happens.

In what state did you fill? Most small claim courts, such as California, don't allow suits againts any LLC or INC such as Sony ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well my buddie got himself a used 60 gig from Gamestop. Whenever he had to install something on the game the system would overheat shortly afterward. Don't know if it was a bad fan, heat sensor, or overheating harddrive. Easily remidied by just taking the recipt and the system up to a store and exchanging it. So I'd say go for it worst case scenario you just have to make an extra trip to the store.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

In what state did you fill? Most small claim courts, such as California, don't allow suits againts any LLC or INC such as Sony ...

in new york (city).

wait, california doesnt allow a small claim suit against an llc or an inc? that makes no fucking sense at all.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »

in new york (city).

wait, california doesnt allow a small claim suit against an llc or an inc? that makes no fucking sense at all.

That smells of nudge nudge wink wink to me. That is truly retarded.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went the craigslist route with my first PS3, a 60 gig like Jaef, but unlike him, after testing out all the features, movies, and games in a gamestop the previous owner worked at, I booted up GTA and BAM it has a faulty graphics card. It didn't show up in any of the games or blu rays he displayed, but 2 different new copies of gta IV didn't lie to me.
    I was able to get my money back and I just bought a new MGS bundle.
    I suppose you don't have that option anymore, but be careful of buying used.
    And, if you can sit through the install of GTA, demo that first. :|

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I would always be careful of buying a used anything myself.
    I only did so because the company gave a 6 month warranty themselves (not sony, the guys selling it).
    Of the many reasons someone could be trying to sell something used, not liking it is only one of them.

Morninglord on