As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon (Tournament OVER) - Chen Wins! Also TRU Shaymin giveaway Feb. now-14th

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had more trouble with Cynthia than I had against Gary MKII.

Actually, I can't remember all that well. But I probably had a more difficult time against Cynthia.

RockinX on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gary's team is just absurdly overleveled. His team is at higher levels than Cynthia's despite the fact that the Kanto quest is so much shorter than the Sinnoh quest. There are no good places to grind in FR/LG, either. The trainers in the islands aren't at significantly higher levels than those in Victory Road. Cerulean Cave has high level Pokemon, but wild Pokemon don't give as much EXP.

I usually plan ahead a little bit wrt the Elite Four. The first time I took it seriously, I went in with a team of 3 that was reasonably balanced, but I still had to grind for more levels to make it through. This time I've got a lv 96 Blastoise w/ Earthquake + Ice Beam and Gary's still smacking me around a bit. I never skip trainer battles either, so it's not like I have less EXP than I should at this point.

On the other hand, my Torterra+Mismagius+Rapidash combo pretty much tore through all of Sinnoh with no problems whatsoever.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Long after I beat the second form for the first time, I just used my level 96 Dragonite, Tommy (which some people with whom I trade may have seen me with) with almost no trouble. It uses Surf, Outrage, Fly and Aerial Ace.

And now that you mention it, I do remember having a lot of trouble with Gareen II the first time.

Anyone up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Come on! there has to be someone available...

RockinX on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will battle you Rockin.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll get online!

RockinX on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Come the fuck on.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh boy, just what I thought could happen happened!

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Clever!

Bad poison resets when switched?!

RockinX on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Clever!

Bad poison resets when switched?!

...How could you not know that? o_O;

Bad (Toxic) Poison increments whenever a Pokémon takes repeated residual damage. That's why Toxic + Leech Seed downs things so fast. For a stall maneuver.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, I knew the damage gradually grows, but I think I just saw the damage get reset when he switched out.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    8-)

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    GG. Shouldn't have done half of the stuff I did.

Like, not including Luffy or Stereo. Anyone else up for a battle? Speed, a second one since they're scarce right now?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah okay. Lemme change up my team though.

I think I want to breed me a Snorlax.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I get the feeling that Luffy is another Infernape.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Luffy is another Infernape.

Couldn't be farther from truth.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I didn't know Gyarados was so heavy.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How on earth does a spec'd Alakazam not one-shot Gyarados with Grass Knot.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gyarados is actually very bulky, sp def-wise.

GGs.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't really blame hax.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    8-)8-)

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, I completely forgot about Pokemon until I went and paid off Platinum at Gamestop. I haven't played in months it seems, any new developments? And I saw the discussion about no moves being banned a few pages back, what about DT? I could have sworn that DT was banned which rendered my Baton Pass Zapdos kinda useless...

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Double Team and Minimize are banned.

By the way, Speed, didn't Trixie serve the same purpose in the anime as yours in Pokémon?

Anyone else up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Double Team and Minimize are banned.

By the way, Speed, didn't Trixie serve the same purpose in the anime as yours in Pokémon?

Anyone else up for a battle?

Thus the name!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No. Its name was given because of the theme. Then you made it fit into that role.

BAAAAATTLEEEEE.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gary's team is just absurdly overleveled. His team is at higher levels than Cynthia's despite the fact that the Kanto quest is so much shorter than the Sinnoh quest. There are no good places to grind in FR/LG, either. The trainers in the islands aren't at significantly higher levels than those in Victory Road. Cerulean Cave has high level Pokemon, but wild Pokemon don't give as much EXP.

I usually plan ahead a little bit wrt the Elite Four. The first time I took it seriously, I went in with a team of 3 that was reasonably balanced, but I still had to grind for more levels to make it through. This time I've got a lv 96 Blastoise w/ Earthquake + Ice Beam and Gary's still smacking me around a bit. I never skip trainer battles either, so it's not like I have less EXP than I should at this point.

On the other hand, my Torterra+Mismagius+Rapidash combo pretty much tore through all of Sinnoh with no problems whatsoever.

Best place to grind in both gen 1 and gen 4 is the elite four. Good levels on both, and pretty easily exploitable weaknesses.

Now how do you get levels to where you can comfortably grind the elite four in those games?

1. If you're not going to use them for competitive battle, consider swapping 2 of your dudes for Zapdos and Articuno, who can beat the first four trainers largely on their own, especially if you added a psyhic type to the mix.

2. You can do the same in sinnoh, more or less. But I found more than enough trainers and more than enough getting lost to have adequate levels to do the deed. My sweeper pokemon of choice for the e4 is a Gallade. Properly ev'd and with a good assortment of slashes he can more or less solo everyone in the first four brackets. Then all you need is some ice and you're good to go.

3. Victory road, right by the door can get you some levels. Spend about an hour there, fighting until your eyes bleed, and heal at the nearby pokecenter.

or if you want to stay underleveled...

4. BUY BUFF ITEMS and USE THEM. Seriously. They are there for a reason, and the reason is to cheese the Elite Four!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've been depositing a lot of my Hypnosis Mew clones on the GTS, and someone has been returning level 100 shinies. They have around 90 EVs and 31 IVs in each stat.

That's so annoying!!! I want them to do something more than just be able to breed. Hack something better.

Is anyone up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, what do you expect from the GTS?

Nintendo need some way to differentiate hacked Pokés and not let them on there. :| Cloning's not so bad, though. It's a legit poké, there are just... more of them, now.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, when it's for me, I just clone them for having different movesets without working more. Part of the reason I don't share my shinies is because I want them to be unique (for me).

RockinX on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I must have caught 50+ and still none of the impish type. Damn RNG.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyone up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm still available to battle!

Edit: Now I'm not!

RockinX on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darn too late.

Though I'm both tired and out of practise, so it likely would not have ended well for me. But hey, I've got to warm up somehow to get ready for Platinum coming out.

Aggril on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm interested in battling now, if you're still around Aggril.
    Or someone else?

I think I might start breeding another new pokemon. Its another really simple one, so I should be able to get it done quick.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm currently EVing a couple of dudes that were put on hold. Also changing a couple of EV spreads since I suspect Platinum will throw a few things upside down. Be prepared for Outrage and Bullet Punch is all I can say.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sure, why not? Give me a minute or two to set up a random team.

I still have three already bred Pokemon waiting only to be EV trained and evolved before joining my team. And that's not counting a couple of 'in progress' projects I've been ignoring for over a month now.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cool Aggril, i'll be online.

I hope Cursing Steelix will be useful, cause I plan on making one. With GyroBall, Earthquake and Aqua Tail probably. I know, Explosion, but I just think its cool that Steelix can use Aqua Tail.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm back and ready for a battle!

That is, if anyone is available.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Good game, Ink!

That was a battle of purple Pokemon and birds, near entirely.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    haha that was great game Aggril.Your random teams are brutal.
    My random team would probably have Dodrio and Exploud. and this Medicham that I need to change.
    anyway, Tangrowth did ok that fight. Its attacks aren't really that useful so far... I the Physical move options are certainly better.

I have to eat now, but i'll battle again soon if people are still around.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So which one of you is going to battle me?

RockinX on