As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering (now with 200% more OP)

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Critical Failures
magic_logo.gif

Welcome to the CF Magic: the Gathering Thread!

So, the last thread was getting pretty long and the OP of the thread... it didn't have any information at all.

It's time that changed!

So... what is M:tG anyway?

Wikipedia has this to say:
Wikipedia wrote:
Magic: The Gathering (colloquially "Magic", "MTG", or "Magic Cards") is a collectible card game created by mathematics professor Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. Magic is the first example of the modern collectible card game genre and still thrives today, with an estimated six million players in over seventy countries. Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or third-party programs.

Each game represents a battle between powerful wizards who use the magical spells, items, and fantastic creatures depicted on individual Magic cards to defeat their opponents. Although the original concept of the game drew heavily from the motifs of traditional fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, the gameplay of Magic bears little resemblance to pencil-and-paper adventure games, while having substantially more cards and more complex rules than many other card games.

With that in mind, welcome to the wonderful world of Magic: the Gathering, one of the most complex and rewarding games out on the market.

--

FAQ:
Q: So I bought some of these here Magical Cards. They've got funny symbols on them and numbers and are different colors. Help!

A: Magic is a pretty complex game, but the basics are easy to get the hang of. Magic cards generally come in one of five colors that each specialize in different things. White, Blue, Black, Red, and finally Green. By laying down lands of appropriate colors you can add mana to your mana pool and 'cast' these cards into play, with the goal of driving your opponent's life total down from 20 to 0! For a more detailed explanation, see the resources at the end of the post.

Q: I keep hearing about 'Type 2' and 'Type 1.5' and 'Standard' and all sorts of crazy stuff. What the hell are those?

A: In sanctioned Magic (that's tourney play), there are what are called 'formats', that may have different rules and different legal card pools. Standard and Extended are the most common 'Constructed' (played using pre-built 60 card decks with 15 card sideboards) formats. Limited is a different animal altogether.

You can find a list of formats HERE.

Q: Okay, that makes sense. I think I get it. You mentioned Limited... what's that?

A: Limited formats are the other side of the Tournament Magic coin. When playing limited Magic, you usually have a restricted pool of cards, usually from freshly opened product, that you must build a 40 card deck from. Standard Magical rules apply otherwise. The two most common Limited formats are Sealed Deck and Draft.

Q: What do you do when you play Sealed Deck or Draft, then?

A: Sealed Deck is very simple: you take a Tournament Pack and two boosters (sanctioned formats tend to use the newest block, for us that's the newly released Shards of Alara), rip 'em open and build your deck. Draft works a little differently; everyone has three packs. Everyone opens one, takes a card they like, and passes it to the next person. When all the cards are 'drafted', you build 40 card decks and play. In both cases, basic lands are provided by the tournament organizer.

Helpful Links for New Guys

The last OP didn't have any information, and the last thread was filled with people asking a lot of the same questions. So I'm going to compile links to various articles and resources around the web so that new guys can absorb some information and refine their questions to be more specific; that way, we can provide clearer, more helpful answers.

Magicthegathering.com
- This is the Magic mothership! You can find all sorts of goodies here, including article series that cover the many facets of magic from both a player and designer perspective. I'm pretty partial to Making Magic, Building on a Budget, and Limited Information!
Gatherer, the Magic Card Database - This is Wizards' official database. You search for cards using some different parameters (color, cost, artist, to name a few)
Starcity Games - This is probably the next biggest Magic site next to the mothership; it has its own database alongside its own daily columns. As an added bonus, Starcity is a very reputable Magic retailer, and is a good place to look if you want a price reference for certain cards.
The Magic Academy - This is a series at the magic web site that was written purely as a tool for new players to get themselves familiar with the game. While it doesn't talk about the BASIC BASICS, it does explain to beginner players the philosophies behind certain cards, when to play them, when to attack, how to block correctly, and other helpful topics.
Essentialmagic.com - This is another very helpful magic site that allows you to construct decks and post them online for critique. It also has a comprehensive list of formats and what sets are legal in each of them.
Five Rules for Avoiding Manascrew - This is an article I think is indispensable for any player as it teaches how to devise a solid mana base for any deck in a few easy steps.
Deckbuilding 101: Five Tips for Better Deckbuilding - This is another article I consider to be a must-read for any Magic player. It doesn't really discuss specific strategy, but certain fundamentals that every Magic player should absorb right into his bone marrow. Yes it is that important.
The Magic Rules page - This is where you can find the comprehensive rules alongside a list of every keyword in magic.

--

As I am only one man, I can't begin to compile a list of everything off the top of my head, so if you have stuff you think should be added to the OP that isn't there, please say so. I want this OP to be the kind of post you can link to when answering questions.

Super Namicchi on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sure haven't bought Magic Cards in ages.

In fact the last time I had any interaction with Magic was at a Mechwarrior game a few years ago.

"Eh, Magic. Who even plays magic anymore?"

"Er, uh. We do."

faux pas'd

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shards is pretty cool so far. Need to play more. The last game I played was of Zatch Bell! oddly enough. So yeah, Magic would be better.

Although ZB! does have this cool spell book you put your cards in...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Why does standard only have a few sets available?

Seems lame to me.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it may seem like a few sets, but there are 1,481 unique cards available in standard.

It mostly has to do with card availability and power; the 'evergreen' formats like Legacy, Vintage, and Extended to a lesser extent have a higher power and price curve which can often be restrictive. Wizards likes to mix it up, and Standard offers a fairly large card pool without being filled with absurd combos and the like.

it also offers variety in that every season there is a set rotation, which pulls a block of cards in and adds a new block. It keeps deckbuilders on their toes and keeps the metagame from feeling stagnant.

Compare this to Extended, which has had a few dominant deck archetypes that have been dominant and will continue to be dominant for a long time (sets in Extended rotate a lot slower). Goblins is a good example.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I finally got a good card pool in Sealed and I blew it due to some bad draws, a game loss and some deckbuilding mistakes. I should have ran less than 10 creatures, but I was paranoid that I didn't have enough manpower so I snuck in some piss poor ones. I had Flameblast Dragon and Sharding Sphinx to rely on as finishers, so winning wasn't a huge issue. Here's the deck for reference:

1x Flameblast Dragon
    1x Sharding Sphinx
    1x Sanctum Gargoyle
    1x Etherium Sculptor
    1x Windwright Mage
    1x Fire-Field Ogre
    1x Cloudheath Drake
    1x Fatestitcher
    1x Glaze Fiend
    1x Goblin Deathraiders

1x Cancel
    1x Punish Ignorance
    2x Magma Spray
    2x Grixis Charm
    1x Blightning
    1x Resounding Wave
    1x Kiss of the Amesha
    1x Courier's Capsule
    1x Sigil of Distinction
    1x Obelisk of Grixis
    1x Obelisk of Esper

5x Island
    4x Mountain
    3x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Arcane Sanctum
    1x Savage Lands
    1x Esper Panorama
    1x Naya Panorama

What I should have done was replace a Mountain for a Plains and Glaze Fiend and Goblin Deathraiders for a second Resounding Wave and a Dispeller's Capsule, because oh my God Oblivion Rings were freaking everywhere. I also got 2-for-1'd by Branching Bolt plenty of times. On the other hand lifegain is amazing in this format. Put me out of a tight situation more often than not. Lifelink coupled with Sigil of Distinction is just devestating. Kiss of the Amesha was amazing too, especially in a slow format like this.

So in the end I went 4-3-drop. Oh well.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok guys, I found a card that I decided I had to build a deck around. Sneak attack. I find it to be the funniest card ever and combined with the right creatures....awesome. so I put together this decklist and wish for it to be critiqued before I actually spend the oddles of money to buy it. Note that I cannot afford expensive cards like Moxes or (no matter how much I wish it) Zodiac Dragon, which would fit perfectly in this deck.

Sneak attack Deck!!!!

4 Wild Research
    2 Oros, The Avenger
    2 Numot, the Devastator
    2 Yosei, the Morning Star
    2 Ryusei, the Falling Star
    2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
    2 Kilnmouth Dragon
    2 Keiga, The Tide Star
    2 Bogarden Hellkite
    2 Nicol Bolas
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Bladewing the Risen
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Sneak Attack

As you can see, it's using a lot of random large power dragons, so that after they are sacrificed I can use Bladewing the Risen to pull them back into play for free. If I can get Sneak attack out, I do about 30-40 damage in the next turn or two. Problem is getting sneak attack out and keeping it out,

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It mostly has to do with card availability and power; the 'evergreen' formats like Legacy, Vintage, and Extended to a lesser extent have a higher power and price curve which can often be restrictive. Wizards likes to mix it up, and Standard offers a fairly large card pool without being filled with absurd combos and the like.

Although, overall it's probably cheaper to play Legacy over a long time than Standard or Extended because the good cards will always be good (and expensive), whereas, for example, Bitterblossom will lose most of it's value once it rotates out of Standard.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    56x Swamp
    4x Looming Shade

my present deck

edit: you may be thinking that i've overcrowded my deck with mana. well, the fact of the matter is that I used to go with more standard approaches, IE 20 land, or 15 land + 5~ free mana sources, and so on, but I never seemed to be able to buff my looming shades to 57/57 each round with that build.

edit2: yes, i understand that it will presently require me to survive at least 56 rounds to buff my looming shades to 57/57 each round with this build. however, i have to assume that my deck is so superior to anyone i might face that the actual survival will be easy.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well also if you get to buff it to 57/57 each round, you will deck out 0-4 turns later

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well also if you get to buff it to 57/57 each round, you will deck out 0-4 turns later

Yeah but how will they possibly survive those four rounds!

It's genius, it's incredible.

I'll bypass things like Armageddon by threatening my opponents with a wrench.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, question about planeswalkers.

I have Doubling Season and I play a planeswalker. Do they come into play with double their amount of loyalty counters? What about using their abilities that add counters? Do those get doubled?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »

I have Doubling Season and I play a planeswalker. Do they come into play with double their amount of loyalty counters? What about using their abilities that add counters? Do those get doubled?

they will come into play with double loyalty

their +loyalty abilities won't double though since it's paid as a cost

chump block with 56 turns worth of creatures

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

They come into play with double the loyalty counters, but the first ability that planeswalkers have that increases loyalty will not be doubled, because the increase in loyalty is a cost, and not an effect.

shergak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

they will come into play with double loyalty

their +loyalty abilities won't double though since it's paid as a cost

chump block with 56 turns worth of creatures

I think you are forgetting the wrench I carry with me to games

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I fail to see why you'd need the deck at all. Just bring the wrench.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nice OP Arcanis. If I think of something to add, I'll put it here, but I think you covered everything for the most part.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it may seem like a few sets, but there are 1,481 unique cards available in standard.

it also offers variety in that every season there is a set rotation, which pulls a block of cards in and adds a new block. It keeps deckbuilders on their toes and keeps the metagame from feeling stagnant.

Compare this to Extended, which has had a few dominant deck archetypes that have been dominant and will continue to be dominant for a long time (sets in Extended rotate a lot slower). Goblins is a good example.

well, when you put it that way...

but, still, i don't want to have cards that won't be allowed in the future :/

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I fail to see why you'd need the deck at all. Just bring the wrench.

I like the way you think

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well, The Cheat, keep in mind these formats are Sanctioned Formats. as in, they're competitive formats played at tourneys.

the Magic Police won't come around to your house if you don't stick to the Standard format within your magic group.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »

That's why you keep those cards to use in older formats and casual games. STD is just the most "Current" format along with Block (Which is technically MORE current, but anyone who wants to argue can STFU instead please).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You could just play type 1, or vintage or whatever it is those crazy kids be calling it these days, instead of type 2. Allows all the cards with a few being banned/restricted cuz they just be so crazy.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i know what standard means, you guys. it's in the first post even. i am talking about friday night magic tournaments which i will be getting into. not too big a deal, i guess.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    P.S. What do I do if my opponent keeps bringing out huge fucking 7/7 and 10/10 monsters? I mean what are some cards i can has to put in my decks?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    DamnedLibrarianDamnedLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    P.S. What do I do if my opponent keeps bringing out huge fucking 7/7 and 10/10 monsters? I mean what are some cards i can has to put in my decks?

Lots of options there, some of the more popular ones:
    Terror
    Executioner's Capsule
    Deathmark
    Wrath of God
    Bant Charm

DamnedLibrarian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh, yeah, for FNM you do run this problem. thankfully set rotation, even for standard, is pretty slow. (the oldest set only rotates whenever the new main set is released. Time Spiral, for example, rotated out when Shards was released, and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor will rotate out whenever the next block's main set comes out)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well, The Cheat, keep in mind these formats are Sanctioned Formats. as in, they're competitive formats played at tourneys.

the Magic Police won't come around to your house if you don't stick to the Standard format within your magic group.

Oh wont we now....

Knock Knock!

Who is it?

Magic Police! We've got a report of someone using a Force of Nature card in a tourney format at this address! You sick freaks, you're coming downtown with us...

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oshi it's the fuzz we've been had mates

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote:
    Aside from creatures destruction:

Backlash has always been one of my favorite casual cards. Threaten is a similar idea in standard, with an added bonus if you happen to have a way to sacrifice the creature that turn.

Bouncing the creature back to the opponents hand and/or countering the actual spell has long been the bluest way of dealing with big creatures.

Goldmeadow Harrier
    ? Trip Noose? Any creature that's indestructable, or with protection from the relevant color, or that regenerates (depending on what evasive abilities the fatties in question have)

Righteousness
    ? Loyal Sentry? Something with deathtouch? The choice is yours.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, deathtouch sounds grand. I also have a trip noose and a backlash type thing or two.

Regenerate confuses me a bit. Can you use it when it is not your turn and someone attacks?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    edited the OP to add a new link - the comprehensive rules page.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So... yes, then. Ok, thanks.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008

oblivion ring

oblivion ring

a thousand times oblivion ring

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Remove from game effects are wonderfully useful against things you simply don't want to see again. While I'm a long time fan of Terror, Dark Banishing and their kin, Unmake from Eventide is simply amazing white, black or white/black removal. Aside from the triple colour casting cost, nothing says "go away and don't come back" like Unmake. Well, except against Protection from Black or White creatures, but there aren't a whole lot of them roaming around in my local pool these days.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If I download a .CSV file from MTGO, is there any program that can read that CSV and show the cards or at least the vital cards stats (cost, card text) besides the MTGO program? My lazy friends want to exchange lists before we initiate trading and can't be bothered to look up the cards they're interested in, apparently.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CSV usually stands for comma-seperated values, which means it would be a plain text file, with the fields seperated by a character (possibly, but not necessarily, a comma). In that case, you could open it with Excel or even Notepad. I'm not familiar with MTGO though, so I don't know if that will work.

Papillon on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I could use a hand on my new EDH deck. The general is Eladamri, Lord of Leaves so right there you know what the deck basically is. Elves. And lots of em. First off: Im not even sure if this deck is viable (hell, it probly isnt, weenie isnt exactly EDH material) but to hell with it, I thought Id give it a shot.

Now, I haven't played a game with it yet, but after a few test hands I think I need more mana. In elf decks before Ive always run under 1/3 of the deck mana, but there it was more guaranteed to get a low cost mana producer. So I could use some advice on what to take out for mana. Also I kind of just threw a lot of this together, I didn't really think about win conditions. I guess its kind of amass the elves and charge? A few x spells to make use of the abundance of mana late game, a few big creatures to help beef up the front lines. I guess I could use some direction with it. Maybe I should add alot more mana elves and a R/G general and turn it into true Elfball, lotsa mana and X damage. I dunno, what do you guys think?

DECK!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I havn't played much EDH, but that's never stopped me from making suggestions before :)

You might want to try adding Survival of the Fittest. It does cool things with Genesis & Masked Admirers.

Maybe the G cycle lands. Sure they CIPT, but late game you can cycle them if you have too much lands.

Stream of Life, Moment's Peace, Crash Landing, Gaea's Anthem, Squall Line and Hurricane seem potentially sub-par. I guess Squall Line & Hurricane can be used to finish up a bunch of people low on life total, assuming you're not also low on life.

I don't know how much money you have to spend, but one thing you can do to up your land count is add a bunch of man-lands. Treetop village & Mishra's Factory come to mind. Mutavault might be more synergistic with the rest of your deck, but unless you already have one I'd be loathe to spend that much money on a card that might lose most of its value when it rotates out of Standard in a year.

Papillon on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're using hordes of creatures that will hopefully have forest walk and be untargetable. So you need to give your opponent some forests, and perhaps rely less on targeted creature buffs (Might of Oaks, Mythic Proportions). I present to you the following, for your consideration:

Deepwood Elder - Creature - Spellshaper [2/2]
    XGG, tap, Discard a card from your hand: X target lands become forests until end of turn.

Gaea's Liege - Creature - Avatar [*/*]
    Gaea's Liege's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests you control. As long as Gaea's Liege is attacking, its power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests defending player controls instead.
    T: Target land becomes a Forest until Gaea's Liege leaves play.

Thelonite Monk - Summon - Cleric [1/2]
    tap: Sacrifice a green creature to turn a target land into a basic forest. Mark changed land with a counter.

Yavimaya Dryad - Creature - Dryad [2/1]
    Forestwalk
    When Yavimaya Dryad comes into play, you may search your library for a Forest card and put it into play tapped under target player's control. If you do, shuffle your library.

Also, you want tons of forest in play, so where's the Foratog? Some other spells to perhaps consider, to help accelerate the mana play:

Gaea's Touch - Enchantment
    You may put one additional land in play during each of your turns, but that land must be a basic forest. You may sacrifice Gaea's Touch to add GG to your mana pool. This ability is played as an interrupt.

Mwonvuli Acid-Moss - Sorcery
    Destroy target land. Search your library for a Forest card and put that card into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

oblivion ring

oblivion ring

a thousand times oblivion ring

why would i use that when i can use one that removes the card permanently?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Because O-Ring also deals with non-creatures (Garruk, Sarkhan Vol & Bitterblossom), you can play it off colourless or off-colour lands, and it isn't affected by pro-black

Papillon on