As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most reliable wireless mouse?

powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
So my current wireless mouse is a microsoft "notebook mouse" and it has a bad habit of losing its signal at the worst time so I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a more reliable one?

I don't really need anything fancy but I would like a clicky scroll wheel (rather than smooth) and the wheel has to double as a 3rd button. On other forums I've seen a lot of folks recommend Logitech mice such as the G7 but they all seem to have smooth scroll wheels.

powersurge on

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What do you mean by smooth wheel? My G5 has definate "steps" when using the scroll wheel.

JohnDoe on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Logitech is always a good bet in my experience.

Right now I'm using a MS bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=099) and I love it. Haven't lost signal once. I can't recommend it enough, provided you have bluetooth. If not, then yeah, anything Logitech.

Torso Boy on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I definitely recommend the G7. I've been using it for 2+ years and love it. it's starting to die though (dropped it, now scroll wheel doesn't work as well anymore), and I'm almost certainly going to buy a new one when the time comes.

The only complaint I have is that on the first gen of them the scroll wheel felt a bit mushy when clicking it, but I got used to it, no idea if it's any better on the newer hardware rev.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    What do you mean by smooth wheel? My G5 has definate "steps" when using the scroll wheel.

I think Logitech calls it "ratchet mode" rather than smooth scrolling. I should mention this will be paired with a Macbook Pro so I do have bluetooth but it will mostly be used for gaming otherwise I wouldn't be so picky about the mouse or I'd use the trackpad :P

powersurge on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I definitely recommend the G7.

I 2nd the G7. I have been using it for about 8 months now and love it. The only real problem I have with it is the battery life kind of sucks. It does come with 2 batteries, so the effect is mitigated. If you turn down the reports per sec and turn off boost mode, though, it will help out a lot.

That_Guy on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I definitely recommend the G7.

I 2nd the G7. I have been using it for about 8 months now and love it. The only real problem I have with it is the battery life kind of sucks. It does come with 2 batteries, so the effect is mitigated. If you turn down the reports per sec and turn off boost mode, though, it will help out a lot.

I've never had an issue with battery life because it takes approx. 7 seconds to switch them out. that's the way it was designed, the batteries don't last forever, but it takes nothing to change them, and you'll never have a dead battery, because it takes like, an hour to charge the extra one.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar