As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COSMOS FANTASTICA: Marvel Cosmic B.S. Thread

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't even know how the water would tell them that though.

"Oh, that bit was soft and floated away, I bet it woulda tasted good."

Scooter on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    I don't know and I don't want to reveal where I read it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranger Rick! Ranger Rick!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If so, then why would they do that to, say, an apple?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so its clean?

Sharp101 on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So they clean plant matter but check animal matter for suppleness? Using the same technique?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiki says
    Raccoons sometimes wash, or douse, their food in water before eating it. It is not known why raccoons perform dousing, but cleaning food is unlikely to be the reason. Studies have found that raccoons engage in dousing motions when water is unavailable; researchers note that captive raccoons are more likely than wild raccoons to douse food. It has been suggested that captive raccoons are mimicking fishing and shellfish-foraging behaviors. It may also be that the raccoon is searching for unwanted material, as water is thought to heighten their sense of touch.

Sharp101 on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was going to quote that, before I lost two hours reading Warhammer 40K stuff, but it seemed kind of sketchy to me.

DouglasDanger on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranger Rick! Ranger Rick!

:^:

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Wiki says
    It may also be that the raccoon is searching for unwanted material, as water is thought to heighten their sense of touch.

ok, so, that there bolded part... is completely and totally questionable. i mean, aside from that not having a citation, why on earth would water make your sense of touch greater than normal. i... i... need to go kill something now.

edit: on topic, space stuff is cool.

PantheraOnca on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    okay please guys. racoon talk is hardly "badassier" than I can imagine.

back on topic.
    where is the tree dude from? did he used to belong to the collector or gardener?

delphinus on
    edited July 2007
    There is a wiki for Groot.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2007
    i think its awesome how marvel is using annihilation to reboot its jobber characters from the 80s. its great to know that they still live and still have some pull.

i await Captain Att-Las and Dr. Minerva to return and Kick some ass

delphinus on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought those two died in Operation:Galactic Storm. Not that it would matter, I guess - the creators behind Annihilation are doing everything right.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I thought those two died in Operation:Galactic Storm. Not that it would matter, I guess - the creators behind Annihilation are doing everything right.

no a silver surfer comic revealed that they were both living in secret and trying to bone together and make kree warriors for an army (since they had the best genetic material or something)

delphinus on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    delphinus wrote: »

no a silver surfer comic revealed that they were both living in secret and trying to bone together and make kree warriors for an army (since they had the best genetic material or something)

I HAVE THAT ISSUE

GO ME

I GUESS

august on
    edited August 2007

Who are the two you are talking about?

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2007
    Minerva and Att-Las. I guess they already brought back most of the Kree Starforce people in the Ronan miniseries though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2007
    yeah but they were together in secret and covered up their deaths during the galactic storm explosion. hopefully theyre still out there.

Captainatlas.jpgDoctor_Minerva.jpg

we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here folks. hiring raccoons and trees. minerva's super strength and smarts. and captain atlas fighting skills and ......meat shield qualities would come in handy.

delphinus on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here folks. hiring raccoons and trees..

Isn't that the whole point. The Phalanx has taken over the Kree empire, a worryingly large amount of the characters from the war are now infected and it looks like Rider bought the farm.

So whose going to save us? The marvel cosmic version of the goonies. And its going to be awesome.

Karl on
    edited August 2007
    Don't forget, Att-Las also had the evil Kirkman-Vultrium mustache!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Oh, and Minerva is sassy.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Karl wrote: »
    we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here folks. hiring raccoons and trees..

Isn't that the whole point. The Phalanx has taken over the Kree empire, a worryingly large amount of the characters from the war are now infected and it looks like Rider bought the farm.

So whose going to save us? The marvel cosmic version of the goonies. And its going to be awesome.

which i agree with and is exactly my point.

too bad the kree dont have a little chinese inventor in their jail

delphinus on
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    And so is richard....

:winky:

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    So how'd Rich get taken down? I just can't wait for the trades to find out about this one. :x

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    So how'd Rich get taken down? I just can't wait for the trades to find out about this one. :x
    Well, first off Richard was flying at fuckcrazy speeds and smashing a bunch of Phalanx, and was ignoring the Worldmind's repeating warning to slow the fuck down, and blam, he hits a fucking forcefield and crashes to the surface of some planet, becoming a smoking corpse in the process.

So, the Worldmind reaches out and gives a Kree medic the powers of the Nova force via the proxy of Richard's mind. He's slowing healing right now.

Phalanx attack, the Kree girl, contrary to the wishes of the Worldmind, flies off to lead away the Phalanx, but snap, Gamora shows up where Richard is, kisses him and turns him into a phalanx select.

Mai-Kero on
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    Well, first off Richard was flying at fuckcrazy speeds and smashing a bunch of Phalanx, and was ignoring the Worldmind's repeating warning to slow the fuck down, and blam, he hits a fucking forcefield and crashes to the surface of some planet, becoming a smoking corpse in the process.

So, the Worldmind reaches out and gives a Kree medic the powers of the Nova force via the proxy of Richard's mind. He's slowing healing right now.

Phalanx attack, the Kree girl, contrary to the wishes of the Worldmind, flies off to lead away the Phalanx, but snap, Gamora shows up where Richard is, kisses him and turns him into a phalanx select.

Moral of the story? If you have a 'world mind' containing the entire culture / history of a race combined with the minds of thousands of sentient beings it might be worth listening to occasionally.

Deicist on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.

hah, i just saw the one scan and thought it was she-hulk

i was all 'damn, sister goin' topless'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    But he's not fully powered, right? The worldmind and nova-go juice being in Ms. blue. (Haven't read it yet.)

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was awesome.
    The universe is FUCKED.
    But he's not fully powered, right? The worldmind and nova-go juice being in Ms. blue. (Haven't read it yet.)
    No, he's still fully powered - Ms. Blue only has the power of a standard Centurion. So yeah, universe = fucked.

Of course, it's possible that he'll be able to resist the Phalanx control, and that he'll also be able to free Gamora/Ronan/etc.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nova #5 was great, I can't wait to see them get out of this.
    I wonder if Richard will remain a Select for the main Conquest book.

We also got the origin of Wraith this week. Pretty cool, kind've Event Horizon/Hellraiser-ish.
    Also, Super Skrull is in the process of becoming a Select. Oh noes!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Even if the Phalanx get Richard, that doesn't mean they get the Worldmind, right? Be fun if they think they've got The Nova, then the Worldmind leaves and all they've got is a puny human.

Scooter on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Even if the Phalanx get Richard, that doesn't mean they get the Worldmind, right? Be fun if they think they've got The Nova, then the Worldmind leaves and all they've got is a puny human.

But...
    are Worldmine and the Nova Force the same thing? Even if Worldmind can move all of itself to Ko'Rel instead of talking to her remotely, does that mean the Nova Force can be moved too, or will it all still be left with Richard?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All these shenanigans in Nova are really making me wonder what they plan to do with the book after his tie-in issues are up. The only thing I can think of now is that he somehow escapes the galactic barrier, otherwise the next six months will effectively be even more tie-in issues.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited August 2007
    my exact words after turning the last two pages of nova #5

"fuck, fuck, NO! FUCK! FUCK!!"

delphinus on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    All these shenanigans in Nova are really making me wonder what they plan to do with the book after his tie-in issues are up. The only thing I can think of now is that he somehow escapes the galactic barrier, otherwise the next six months will effectively be even more tie-in issues.

It's pretty much like a reboot right? The status quo in the universe has been swept away. Not it's all space cowboys and skrulls. I have old Quasar, Silver Surfer, and whatnot I'm hella excited to get back into the rest of Marvel's universe.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dammit, why did they TPB this in three volumes instead of smaller books? I don't want the prologue again, I fucking hated the prologue. I'll probably seek out the Nova singles and just get volumes 2 and 3.

Kreutz on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Starlord was awesome today. All hail the Uniforce!
    Picks up post insertion into the Phalanx installation with the team fighting some drones. The Shi'ar woman picks a verbal fight with Captain Universe since he stole a kill from her and thats a big honour no-no for a Shi'ar. Later in the issue when he saves her again, she tries to kill him and he fucking turns her inside out.

Ravanous' Annihilation drones are also at this installation and we see them fighting the Phalanx. Starlord and co help them out, but it appeared they were all wiped out by the end of it. Raccoon had to abandon his tree friend Groot as he was too small to escape. Groot was pretty badass for the most part too. Wonder if he'll be assimilated or just die (hes left behind, no actual death scene).

Of note, the 'Lanx dont know why the primitives are even at this installation. They dont bother if sending anyone after them unless they show up on the grid with some technology as theres nothing important there. They turn their attention to another installation that is under attack and thats all we hear about that.

All in all, it was a pretty awesome issue that followed up perfectly on the previous issues awesomeness. Mantis or the Celestial Madonna and Cap Universe were my favourites this issue. Pretty much every character here is excellent though. Its a tough call between this and Nova as best tie-in so far with Quasar a distant third and Wraith just sorta sitting there as the Ronan-level tie in for Conquest.

edit: oh ya, the colours are different this issue. They were this washed out, water colour style in issue one. They seem much darker this issue. Not sure which I prefer, but the art is still excellent this issue.

KVW on
    edited August 2007
    Starlord #2 was great, altough:
    I'm a bit surprised they killed off Shi'arverine so soon. We didn't even really get a chance to learn much about her. I was hoping for something of a different relationship between her and Captain Universe when the book started out. Although, maybe she's got a healing factor that'll piece her back together.

And I'm sure Groot'll be back. He'll reappear at the last second to save everyone!

Another concern I have is Starlord's mask. It looked cool on the last cover, but I'm not sure it's working for the comic itself. I think I'd have rather been able to see his face. Or at least make those little breather node things less obtrusive.

Nevertheless, this is definately the strongest Conquest prologue book so far. Looking forwards to the team wreaking havoc in Conquest proper.
    If any of them survive, that is...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png