As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I'm tired of baron runs :(

Why are you doing Baron runs?

Mount.

That's kind of a rude way to ask her to fuck you, man.

I never claimed to be polite.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drez, I imagine for some reason that you absolutely never smile. How accurate is this?

This is ironically false. Because this week I've smiled perhaps more than in my entire past.

How goes things with you and your new lady friend?

I saw her today. She expressed a desire to hang out soon. And I'm going to see her at lunch tomorrow, where she works.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I just played RE4 for a good 30 minutes before I realized that I have the same jacket as the main character.
    15 more minutes and you won't

What :(?
    I'm stealing your jacket
    I'm stealing his jacket from you.

That is a nice fucking jacket.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The first few pages of the Atheism thread actually invested upon me a greater respect for philosophy, which up until that point I thought of as pointless intellectual masturbation. It would be something I'd be interested in learning more about.

Any good books? Something broad, or maybe something about epistemology, or something narrow but easily understood on its own?

The Fountainhead, of course.

Barring that, R.L. Stine's Goosebumps Vol. #37.

Drez on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The first few pages of the Atheism thread actually invested upon me a greater respect for philosophy, which up until that point I thought of as pointless intellectual masturbation. It would be something I'd be interested in learning more about.

Any good books? Something broad, or maybe something about epistemology, or something narrow but easily understood on its own?

Shut up, Drez. Shut up.

No.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Shut up, Drez. Shut up.

No.

Whoops! I got the volume mixed up. I meant Goosebumps #35.

Better?

Drez on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    No, see, because studying thought and knowledge would be psychology, or neurology, or psychoneurology, because thought and knowledge are, obviously, neurological functions. If I wanted to study thought and knowledge I would major in one of those. What does a philosophy major actually study?
    :?

Science can describe the chemical processes behind thought, but they can’t describe what it’s actually like to think.

It can, however, describe the chemical processes behind what it's like to experience the chemical processes behind thought. Everything you ever think or feel is a chemical process and we're figuring them out one by one.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Shut up, Drez. Shut up.

No.

Better?

No.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Go to the real stuff for philosophy. I always say that a great introduction to philosophy is Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Metaphysics.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No, see, because studying thought and knowledge would be psychology, or neurology, or psychoneurology, because thought and knowledge are, obviously, neurological functions. If I wanted to study thought and knowledge I would major in one of those. What does a philosophy major actually study?

Science can describe the chemical processes behind thought, but they can’t describe what it’s actually like to think.

It can, however, describe the chemical processes behind what it's like to experience the chemical processes behind thought. Everything you ever think or feel is a chemical process and we're figuring them out one by one.

See. I'm pretty sure this is a bad notion of science. Right?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But seriously read The Fountainhead

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The problem with philosophy is that I haven't personally written a book yet.

But I will let you know when I do, so you can learn the truth about life.

Drez on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Shut up, Drez. Shut up.

No.

Better?

No.

You idiot, it was #45, not 35.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

WHAT.

NO.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Shut up, Drez. Shut up.

No.

Better?

No.

You idiot, it was #45, not 35.

My badz.

Drez on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Plato's Republic is a great introduction to philosophy yes. It's the perfect example of how someone can start with some decent observations of social ills (wrong people - IE not ME - are in charge, dumbasses too often inherit money) and step by step construct a solution which is completely batfucking crazy.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's a philosophical statement, not a scientific one.

You're gonna have to stop philosophising.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is what I meant about science being mechanical. There’s more to life than being a heap of chemical reactions.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drez, I imagine for some reason that you absolutely never smile. How accurate is this?

This is ironically false. Because this week I've smiled perhaps more than in my entire past.

How goes things with you and your new lady friend?

I saw her today. She expressed a desire to hang out soon. And I'm going to see her at lunch tomorrow, where she works.

That's cool :)

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This is what I meant about science being mechanical. There’s more to life than being a heap of chemical reactions.

But there isn't.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But there isn't.
    Try not to commit suicide before 25.

stilist on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But there isn't.

Philosopher!

image005.jpg

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You can't know what a person is thinking about just by analyzing the chemical reactions in their brains.

Well you can, but only in so broad a manner as to be pointless in this case.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You're talking about physics, right?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But there isn't.
    Try not to commit suicide before 25.
    Man just because the world is meaningless doesn't mean the world has to be meaningless

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Maybe? I’m not a scientist.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

WHAT.

NO.

Whatever man. Enjoy sweating for The Man. For the poor. For God. For everyone. Go ahead and fear the censors. Be bound by petty morality. Be constrained by the small. Okay, meatbag?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »

That's a philosophical statement, not a scientific one.

You're gonna have to stop philosophising.

Philosophy is just a chemical reaction

ergo my penis makes a lot of phallosophy.

Drez on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can't know what a person is thinking about just by analyzing the chemical reactions in their brains.

True. It's possible, and things are slowly trending in this direction, that someday people will be able to. But right now it is indeed speculation.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You can't know what they're thinking by wondering about it, either. You can (ideally) know by interviewing them and studying their reactions, which would be psychology.

So where does philosophy enter this equation?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd like to ejaculate some truths in here, but I'm going to go eat instead.

Drez on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Philosophy is kind of bullshit I guess.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Maybe? I’m not a scientist.

Me neither.
    <3

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My impression of philosophers up to and including this conversation is that they are people whose interests are piqued by one or more sciences, but for whatever reason don't want to actually do the science.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Reading someones thoughts via technology shouldn't be so difficult, though. Give it ten, maybe twenty years.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder what kind of chemical reaction causes scientists to investigate the fact that thoughts are all only chemical reactions.

My guess: a very complex one.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I must say, my Political Theory class this year that is basically a Philosophy course is rather fun. We managed to spend half a class arguing a metaphysical point that the prof kind of didn't intend.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I reject your "science."

More like, anti-God machine.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Talking of Descartes, I found out today that the pain model we used up until the sixties was pretty much exactly the one he first came up with. I was fascinated by the fact it lasted so long.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of chemical reaction causes scientists to investigate the fact that thoughts are all only chemical reactions.

My guess: a very complex one.

A lot of people get moderate dopamine boosts when they solve puzzles. Most people, actually. So it's just a matter of having the patience to actually work through said puzzles.

So the simple answer is the same reason Zelda is so popular.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.