Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

TavTav Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse

Comments

• IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    [Chat]ington Bear.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm getting FriendZone argument vibe from your post James. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I think he is saying that when someone specifically tells you that they like you as a friend, they mean they like you in a non-romantic sense. Yes, these feelings can change over time, but, that's what saying you like someone as a friend means.

B7ozVfx.png
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I say it be "Trial Of A [Chat] Lord". But that's because I'm watching Trial Of A Time Lord on DVD.

Not at work, obviously.

(Sometimes I watch it at work.)

portscenter-pa.gif
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    [Chat]ington Bear.

I could have sworn I did that at one point, but search suggests otherwise

Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm getting FriendZone argument vibe from your post James. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I think he is saying that when someone specifically tells you that they like you as a friend, they mean they like you in a non-romantic sense. Yes, these feelings can change over time, but, that's what saying you like someone as a friend means.

WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!

• PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I think he is saying that when someone specifically tells you that they like you as a friend, they mean they like you in a non-romantic sense. Yes, these feelings can change over time, but, that's what telling someone you like them as a friend means.
    Or it means that they don't like you at all and they don't want to be your friend anymore and really they're just saying it to spare your feelings.

I'm not bitter.

Quashdom.png
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wait, what?

edited October 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Huh?

B7ozVfx.png
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm in three people's sigs now.

DogSig.gif
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I misread "James" as "Jesus" in that post.

portscenter-pa.gif
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Huh?
    I believe that's a quote from a movie.

Quashdom.png
    edited October 2008

I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND I LIKE YOU AS A FRIEND

DogSig.gif
    edited October 2008

Huh?

Had to hear it live just a week ago. Sorry.

Edit: Yeah, a movie. My life as a movie. Fuck.

• TavTav Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IT'S MY [CHAT] AND I'LL DO WHAT I WANT AND I WANT ENTER FUCKING SHIKARI

OK?

edited October 2008

O rly?

edited October 2008
    edited October 2008
    Had to hear it live just a week ago. Sorry.

Edit: Yeah, a movie. My life as a movie. Fuck.

*e-hugs* Don't worry mang, always more fish in the sea.

B7ozVfx.png
    edited October 2008

I think he is saying that when someone specifically tells you that they like you as a friend, they mean they like you in a non-romantic sense. Yes, these feelings can change over time, but, that's what telling someone you like them as a friend means.

In my mind, liking someone as a friend just means you like them for who they are, and is completely orthogonal to how sexually attracted you are to that person. I would say that I like my boyfriend as a friend too, because he's my best friend. But I know people use "like as a friend" to refer to having purely Platonic feelings, so I don't really think any conclusions can be drawn from that one phrase alone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Precursor wrote: »

Or it means that they don't like you at all and they don't want to be your friend anymore and really they're just saying it to spare your feelings.

I'm not bitter.

Too familiar? How about this.

"It's not small It's just no the right size for me."

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wait, what?

The part after the However I read to mean that liking a person both as a friend and as a romantic interest couldn't coexist. I could have misinterpreted it however.

edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    [Chat]ington Bear.

It's alright, Senj. You've been judged and found wanting. But don't take it too hard, it's happened to better men than you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

In my mind, liking someone as a friend just means you like them for who they are, and is completely orthogonal to how sexually attracted you are to that person. I would say that I like my boyfriend as a friend too, because he's my best friend. But I know people use "like as a friend" to refer to having purely Platonic feelings, so I don't really think any conclusions can be drawn from that one phrase alone.

She cheated on him, and doesn't want to hurt his feelings, but she 'likes him as a friend.'

Yes, there's always the chance that she prescribes to a more unorthodox definition of 'friend' in that phrase, but do you really think so?

I'm absolute best friends with my girlfriend, too. And we were friends before we went out. And before we were going out, know how I liked her? As a friend.

But I was also attracted to her, and it seems very reasonably obvious that in this context she means she's not attracted to him anymore.

edited October 2008
    All those relationship woes make me feel a bit dizzy.

Edit: Scratch that. Ditzy is more fitting.

edited October 2008
    [Chat]ington Bear.

It's alright, Senj. You've been judged and found wanting. But don't take it too hard, it's happened to better men than you.
    That, my dear, is begging the question.

You're assuming the premise that there are, in fact, better men than I.

• VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ugh, after a week of trying to think of a topic I'm going to class with no essay. I can simply not think of a story that involves me feeling solidarity with a group of individuals. sorry, teach.

BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
    edited October 2008
    Maybe I should just start numbering every line in my post, because really that's what I'm doing mentally, and I only just realized it. I do it so often, I don't know how I didn't even realize it until just now. I constantly do that, set up line by line premises building on each other. Weird to only see it now...

edited October 2008

O rly?

HO SHIT!

DogSig.gif
    edited October 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    ugh, after a week of trying to think of a topic I'm going to class with no essay. I can simply not think of a story that involves me feeling solidarity with a group of individuals. sorry, teach.

What about poker night? A story about that?

edited October 2008

Uh, what? What about us? You bastard.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Poor Sabs. If you're still reading, I'm totally giving you a hug.

My hand is also starting to slide down a little too far...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

man what about getting high and playing rock band

o wait

you can't really write about that in an essay

okay what about playing rock band

HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    I have completed the MMPI-A. Now to wait until I get my results telling me that I am a perfectly normal human being and that I will live a perfectly normal human life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    an_alt wrote: »

In fact, I've found my way to your side, and I'm straddling your thigh. Both my hands are wandering in tandem now, one in front. One in back.

As my left hand glides smoothly over your nubile happy-trail, my right hand just begins to find the insignificant incline that is the beginning of your posterior.

I find myself unimpressed with your piece, but I shield my smile in your shoulder, which you misinterpret as a surprised love quiver

I want to back away, but you've already go that look in your eye, and it's too late.

edited October 2008
    "nubile happy-trail" is just awful, James

edited October 2008
    "nubile happy-trail" is just awful, James

I'm in class, I can't think of anything good. I gotta be taking notes, too.

It's all that would come to me.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »
    I have completed the MMPI-A. Now to wait until I get my results telling me that I am a perfectly normal human being and that I will live a perfectly normal human life.
    Oh hey, that's nifty. MMPI-A is one of the actual useful ones. I forget which one everyone usually does, but I remember it was mostly BS. MMPI-A is actually used for psychiatric evaluation instead of just wankery.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    an_alt wrote: »

In fact, I've found my way to your side, and I'm straddling your thigh. Both my hands are wandering in tandem now, one in front. One in back.

As my left hand glides smoothly over your nubile happy-trail, my right hand just begins to find the insignificant incline that is the beginning of your posterior.

I find myself unimpressed with your piece, but I shield my smile in your shoulder, which you misinterpret as a surprised love quiver

I want to back away, but you've already go that look in your eye, and it's too late.

How come that didn't show up properly in my post? Lousy forum software.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    edited October 2008
    welcome to your life
    there's no turning
    even while we sleep
    we will find you
    acting on your best behavior

turn your back on mother nature

everybody wants to rule the world
    :whistle:

• ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2008
    Also, not ever having played a SOCOM game before, I bought SOCOM 3 for seven dollars. So far, what I have learned from this game is that Navy SEALs can't hold their breath for more than thirty seconds, and the M16 is a pea-shooter. Really, on the first mission, I found that I was shooting guys with a three-round-burst, and they would go down, and then get up again and I'd have to shoot them again. And then I'd repeat that like two or three times before they'd stay down. Eventually I just ditched it and grabbed one of their AK-47's. That thing puts guys down.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    800lb gorilla: Dennis Miller

HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
This discussion has been closed.