As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I'm thinking about joining a dnd group...

mimizumimizu Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
Is there anything I should know? I'm most likely going to join a 4e dnd group, and I've never played tabletop games before. Any advice?

mimizu on

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes. We have a D&D 4e discussion thread with a lot of info in the OP. As for where: If you're looking online, there's online tabletops (Fantasy Grounds, OpenRPG, etc.) that can do it. Or, if you're looking to find something local, you can check out Wizards' RPGA website and forums (www.rpga.com I believe) or www.penandpapergames.com has forums with local and online game listings.

Goose! on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What kind of advice are you looking for? Help with characters or playing in a game?

If the latter, just remember to be nice, and don't put up with assholes. Don't hog the spotlight, and don't let anyone else do it, either. Ask questions about the type of game everyone wants to play, the tone and level of combat focus. That's really just so you aren't surprised and annoyed a month in, though.

After a couple of sessions, tell the DM and the other players what's working for you and what isn't. Encourage other people to share, too. Much like sex, role-playing is more enjoyable if you have good communication between the participants.

Anyway, most of all just have fun!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DannMann99DannMann99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't want to hijack the thread but what's the deal with play by post DND? Can someone explain it for me... i can't imagine that could go quick at all...

DannMann99 on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The 'deal' isn't much more than the DM writes their narrative and dungeon map in their post, and the players describe their actions in their subsequent posts, the cycle repeating when the DM posts again with the next round.

In short, it doesn't go quickly, even when incentives are put into place to ensure everyone takes their turns regularly. You might go through 5-10 rounds in a week if you're lucky, with a short game lasting 2 or 3 months. It can be useful for people who don't have enough time in a day for a pen & paper session, or a good place to find a local group. Some RPGs are less complex or tactical than D&D and can be played over PBP without buying all or any of the books to try the game out, as well.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif