As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uh oh, wisdom teeth

Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I'm scheduled to get my wisdom teeth extracted this January; however, I felt a little pressure in the bottom left molar area of my jaw, and sure enough, I can feel a bit of a wisdom tooth already coming through.

Right now I feel pressure, but no real pain unless I put pressure on my gums, which is normal for teething.

Should I be worried? Just over two months away should be no real big deal, right?

Oh, I'm 20 years old, if that helps.

Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
Buddy Lee on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldnt worry. Wisdom teeth tend to come in extremely slowly. Also, unless it's impacted or coming in at such an angle to restrict jaw movement, it shouldn't hurt too much.

Yes, until they break skin it may be crazy sore and your gums may swell a bit, just be gentle.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    FohnFohn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nope, my wisdom teeth had broken through a few months before my operation and all was well. You're definitely in good shape.

Fohn on
    Meh.
  • Options
    BalgairBalgair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Easier operation if they're already pokin' through. I felt some pressure about 6 months before I actually got them removed. It's really not a big issue. Plus, the surgery itself isn't bad. Worst case scenario--and this is the absolute worst case--they're impacted heavily and they might need to break your jaw...a bit. Still, that's not that big of a deal. In my experience, and generally agreed upon by my friends, you have to deal with some pain for about 3 days after the op. That's the worst of it, and you get plenty of painkillers. They gave me Percocet and ibuprofen. I never took the Percocet, (not really my thing) but I know people who've enjoyed that aspect of the ordeal quite a bit.

Best advice I can give is, don't stress over it. I tend to dwell on impending shit like that way in advance and psych myself out, but it's never what I expected. It's always better.

Balgair on
    XBL:VOS THE VARG
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a little of what you were mentioning off and on every so often before I got mine removed about 4 months ago.

Had all four done, procedure was absolutely painless, don't remember anything from when I went out to when I woke up, and since the numbing was still in effect I pretty much had no pain at all for the 3 followup days either, didn't even touch the meds they gave me for that.

Like Balgair says, unless you start feeling either severe or a constant pain, it's probably nothing to worry about.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My top two had fully erupted before I even got scheduled for the surgery. One of them started digging into my cheek, which wasn't as bad as it sounds. You'll be fine, if it happens to start irritating part of your mouth you can sleep with a little wad of cotton or something in between the tooth and the cheek.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The real question would be why you'd want to remove them if they aren't causing any trouble? Most wisdom teeth aren't going to bother you and if they do then that would be the time to extract them.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The real question would be why you'd want to remove them if they aren't causing any trouble? Most wisdom teeth aren't going to bother you and if they do then that would be the time to extract them.

Most of the time (nearly all) wisdom teeth do not serve a purpose. They crowd the jaw, are impossible to clean and can cause gross decay and gumline infections. Just because it doesn't cause excessive pain does not mean they're good to keep around.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had the problem of them coming in at a weird angle. 90 degrees to be specific, perpendicular to my other teeth. So they had to hit 'em before they started to come out lest they screw up my perfect teeth. If they're coming in straight, it's probably all right.

Underdog on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Most of the time (nearly all) wisdom teeth do not serve a purpose. They crowd the jaw, are impossible to clean and can cause gross decay and gumline infections. Just because it doesn't cause excessive pain does not mean they're good to keep around.

Yes they can. They can also sit in the mouth quietly in the mouth for a persons entire life without causing any problems. Over here we usually only extract when something does go wrong with them.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Yes they can. They can also sit in the mouth quietly in the mouth for a persons entire life without causing any problems. Over here we usually only extract when something does go wrong with them.

Yeah, my dad actually has all of his wisdom teeth.

I saw x-rays a while ago, and I'm only going to get three of my four wisdom teeth. The x-rays showed me that one of mine is definitely going to come in at a weird angle. I think there's another one that might give me trouble, but the x-rays are inconclusive, and there's one more that's supposed to come in just fine. I think the one that I'm feeling is the straight one.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been getting my wisdom teeth for roughly 5 years now. The dentist says I probably wont need them extracted. This is something you should talk to your dentist about. If your mouth can fit them, there is no reason to endure an extraction, especially if they are otherwise straight and healthy.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The trouble with wisdom teeth is that they're designed for pre-historic humans, where a lot of your normal teeth would have rotted out of your head before they came in, leaving room. Thus a lot of people's mouths aren't big enough to accommodate them.

Still, if they're not causing problems and the x-rays look okay, there isn't really any reason to get them removed. All 4 of mine were coming in at bizarre angles (like parallel to the gum surface rather than perpendicular), so I had to have them removed.

It was really pretty painless. The most intense pain would be in the first day or two, but at that point your mouth is so numb you can't feel anything. After that, the painkillers work great.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All 4 of mine were coming in at bizarre angles (like parallel to the gum surface rather than perpendicular), so I had to have them removed.

It was really pretty painless. The most intense pain would be in the first day or two, but at that point your mouth is so numb you can't feel anything. After that, the painkillers work great.

Mine were comming up sideways too. But they werequite difficult to get out. The dentist had to break the tooth into pieces. Afterwards I got a prescription for pain killers (and some extra strength mouthwash, because I would be unable to brush for a while) and wow did I need em. The drugs took away any lingering pain, but if I accidently touched the area with my tongue it would throb like crazy for a few minutes. My face also swelled up and I looked like a well fed hamster for about a week. Still didn't find the whole thing scary, but it was annoying.

Anyway, don't worry about it. Pulling teeth... Fun stuff. :lol:

Siska on