As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music players (all of them) freezing Windows XP

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
Hey guys, I thought maybe someone might have heard of this issue before.

I recently reformatted my PC (about a month ago), so the system is clean. I installed Windows XP with SP2. I also updated all my drivers.

But for some reason, all music playing applications are freezing up my computer. This means iTunes, Winamp, and windows media player. Whenever I try and open them, nothing seems to happen (they don't open), but whenever I try and do anything else on the computer (open start menu, open a folder on the desk top, etc) it will freeze that part of the computer up. Using ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager does nothing.

The weird thing is, if I uninstall these programs and then reinstall them they'll work perfectly, but only once. so the first time they're installed, I can use them perfectly, but once I close the program down or restart the computer and try to reopen them the freezing starts again.

Another thing that may or may not be related to the problem is when I play higher-end video games (like far-cry 2 for example) the game will be running along fine with a great fps, but then freeze up for about 10 seconds with the last sound left in the buffer looping over and over, and then it fixes itself a few seconds later and the game runs like normal. This problem can occur once every 10-30 minutes, or as often as every 2-5 seconds, or sometimes not at all. I attributed this to my video card (GeForce 7950 GT overclocked) which is a bit old at this point and may be crapping out.

My sound device is just the onboard card that came with the computer, I think it's just a Realtek HD audio card.

This problem with music players wasn't happening before the reformatting, but the game freezing was (which prompted the reformat).

I've been looking up on this but I can't find anything, has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Dissociater on