As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking in Vista

RohanRohan Registered User regular
I have several computers hooked up via 100mb ethernet. Media sharing between the media pc in the living room and my desktop in my bedroom has been enabled in Media Center. This seems to work well enough. There is an XP machine also hooked up and everything seems to work well enough. However, I am having odd issues doing something as simple as copying a file over the media pc. When I copy something, if it's larger than say, 500mb, it will copy over and get to a certain point before the speed drops to a ridiculous amount, the whole thing freezes for a minute, then tell me that the file is no longer available at the source. This is odd, as said source is my internal hd on the desktop and there's definitely no deleting going on.

Every time it's done this I've checked and yes, not only is the file I intend to copy present and accounted for, the drive was active and didn't have to spin up. Why am I having such problems with something so simple, yet when something a little more complicated than that - watching shared videos across the network - works perfectly? I can copy a file of any size to my flat-mate's XP machine and there are never any problems, but the same problem keeps cropping when I try to copy to the media pc. Both pc's are using 32-bit Home Premium with SP1 and all the latest updates. It doesn't make any sense.

And, while I'm on the subject, just thought I'd ask about the media sharing. Every time I start Media Center on my desktop with the intention of watching something across the network, it takes a while for Media Center to find the folder.jpg's for every video file. I mean, it does this every time, so that I can't just press Start on my remote and immediately browse around, I have to wait for it to find everything before I can navigate to the position of the file I want to play, or it'll be very jerky and slow. Any way around this?

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on