As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jimi Hendrix

gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, Im in need of some cd's from Jimi.... but... theres so MANY!!! Who collects these and can give me some recommendations on which to get first or maybe even not at all. There are ALOT of greatest hits compilations, I don't know which ones are good... and the Live albums...

EDIT: and oh... it's Jimi... Im sorry.

pasigcopyox6.jpg
gneGne on

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would start here. It is a great album and has a lot of the hits that people like, as well as some of my personal favorites.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've listened to tons of Jimi in my time. For greatest hits CDs, the "Experience Hendrix" CD is probably the best; it covers basically everything famous with no glaring exceptions. After that, I personally think "Electric Ladyland" is their best studio album, but "Are You Experienced" is also awesome. I'm a little wishy-washy on "Axis: Bold as Love."

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It also depends on what you're listening for. Jimi put out a fuckton of music, tons just recorded while he jammed at random places. If you want blues, there is tons of it. I love the "Blues" album on itunes.

If you're looking for songs everybody knows like Voodoo Chile, Wind Cries Mary, those greatest hits albums are good.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What about the live ones?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    gneGne wrote: »

takes a while to learn to listen to some of his stuff, remember that dude was on a lot of drugs and you gotta be in the right mood and really it's tough to follow sometimes

when he jams out at live sessions usually he has really long songs, and while it's usually baller as fuck it's not easy listening

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are You Experienced?
    Axis: Bold as Love
    Electric Ladyland

those are the 3 Studio albums I think are best

'B.B.C. Sessions' have great live material as well as a lot of his more well known stuff.

'First Rays of The New Morning Sun' is a great album full of stuff you don't normally hear ('Dolly Dagger' and 'My Friend' spring to mind)

Flashing
    Ballad of Jimi
    Get That Feeling
    Live at George's Club

Those four are with Curtis Knight and are all excellent. Hendrix doesn't sing (maybe on a couple) but they are incredible albums.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    musanman wrote: »

takes a while to learn to listen to some of his stuff, remember that dude was on a lot of drugs and you gotta be in the right mood and really it's tough to follow sometimes

when he jams out at live sessions usually he has really long songs, and while it's usually baller as fuck it's not easy listening

Yes thats true. I know about his live songs, and they are awesome. The way he could break down some of his popular tracks and make it fuckin epic. I'm just not sure which ones are the best from.. like the 20 live albums there are.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    musanman wrote: »

Yes thats true. I know about his live songs, and they are awesome. The way he could break down some of his popular tracks and make it fuckin epic. I'm just not sure which ones are the best from.. like the 20 live albums there are.

Live @ Woodstock is famous, though perhaps not the "best." It's also on DVD; I'd try and rent a copy if possible.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    First, you want this.

Then, you should consider checking out this bad boy, only I heartily recommend looking for a good price on the import version (it has a couple more tracks that are fantastic).

Then, should you decide you like these things you are hearing, consider buying this.

(Are You Experienced?, Band of Gypsys, The Jimi Hendrix Experience boxed set)

mcdermott on