Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

UberEvUberEv Registered User
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Left4Dead_Windows_cover.jpg

Left 4 Dead is a multiplayer cooperative survival horror shooter in development by Valve Corporation based on the Source engine. There are two sides, the Survivors and Infected. Four players control the four Survivors, working their way through campaigns in rural and urban areas, fighting off dozens of the AI-controlled "infected" (fast, 28 Days Later style zombies). On top of the regular zombies, there are four player-controlled "boss zombies" all with unique powers for causing chaos. This mix of the dozens of AI-controlled infected zombies and the boss zombies makes for an entirely fresh co-op experience. Release is scheduled for the PC and Xbox 360 on November 20, 2008. - Left4Dead411

Housekeeping

Left 4 Dead Demo Information and How to Get in Early (While feeling dirty)

Valve is saying that the early demo for all preorders will begin on Thursday November 6th, with a public demo appearing on November 11th. Both demos are timed to expired after November 18th 2008, which is the release date of L4D. RPS Source

Gamertag and Steam ID Collections

We will begin collecting Gamertags and SteamID's beginning on November 1st. On Nov. 1st or after send me a PM and I will add you to the respective group.

Official Steam Group

Join the Official Penny Arcade Left 4 Dead Steam Group: Armadeaddon (DEAD)

Preordering

Preorder Left 4 Dead from the Steam Store for only $44.99!

You can also preorder Left 4 Dead at Gamestop and receive it for the price of $44.99 for PC, and $54.99 for Xbox 360.

News

October 22nd, 2008 - Back of the Box for Xbox 360
Spoiler:

September 26th, 2008 - System Requirements Announced for PC
Spoiler:

September 14th, 2008 - Information Compendium (Dated, but useful)
Spoiler:

August 25th, 2008 - Release Date Delay

Spoiler:

June 25th, 2008 - Original Release Date Announcement
Spoiler:

Before June 25th, 2008
Spoiler:
Player Listing

PA Steam Group Armadeaddon

Check out the group on Steam!

Xbox Live Gamertag Group - PA L4D

Send a friend invite to PA L4D to be entered into this group. We'll use this gamertag as a central hub for the 360, just like the steam group. I doubt we'll exceed 100, but if we do we'll figure that out when we get there.

Now, Discuss how much you want those demo codes!

UberEv on

• Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is going to be the greatest game ever made.

ever

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Geared wrote: »
    When do I have to pre-order to get the discount and the demo code? (PC version)

Buy it on Steam, right now.

• GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When do I have to pre-order to get the discount and the demo code? (PC version)

i would presume the pre order finishes on the 17th.. but don't hold me to that, also why not get it off steam, that way you don't need to wait on demo codes?

edited November 2008

ever

I heard they replaced Louis with Barrack Obama

• VerrVerr Registered User
    edited November 2008
    This game is going to be awesome! I can't wait to get munched on with the PA crew.

• ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I hope the Xbox gets a demo as well, I need to play this. The only reason my brain hasn't exploded from the wait is that its already exploded from the gow2 wait... mmm exploded brraaaains.

ginguskahn360.png
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I can't believe that people are still posting in the old thread. That title is a bit of a giveaway... Echo, please lock the old thread.

• ZetxZetx Fixer, Lurker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Don't demand so much of our mods! :(

steam_sig.png
  • GearedGeared Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the answer, I'm getting it on steam but I don't get paid untill tommorow so I was wondering if I HAD to get it today to get the $5 off and the demo code.

"There are two skinny guys from Illinois who have made a difference, Abe Lincoln and Barrak Obama."
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yay a whole new thread! Its feels so clean in here...

Now that LAST thread...:winky:

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • MaticoreMaticore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A little over a day from now we'll be playing the L4D demo.

Thrilling.

• UberEvUberEv Registered User
    edited November 2008
    That last thread was a 10 month orgy of sex and destruction. I miss it already.

Edit: Have I mentioned? Do you own a 360, Will you play L4D on it? Of course you will! So send a friend invite to PA L4D, our 360 group gamertag. Now supporting OVER six members!

• MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Errg don't want to wait until thursday for zombie action...

hobbessig.png
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

ever

I heard they replaced Louis with Barrack Obama

That owns

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, now I've got images of all the candidates in a zombie apocalypse in my head. Obama as Louis, McCain as Bill, Palin as Zoe.

Joe Biden as Francis is probably the oddest.

• jonxpjonxp [E] Alumnus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I hear the title of Left 4 Dead has three words and two spaces.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User
    edited November 2008
    It's nice to have the option of playing as the special enemies, minus the witch, but the only people I see giving it much play time are people trying to get their griefing out of their system. Most griefers will already be getting their fill be ruining other people's games.

The other alternative is people who actually want to play as zombies and that's terrible. Undead sympathizing scum.

So playing against someone in a versus mode is greifing? Wut?

edited November 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    Man, now I've got images of all the candidates in a zombie apocalypse in my head. Obama as Louis, McCain as Bill, Palin as Zoe.

This MUST be modded in.

"There are two skinny guys from Illinois who have made a difference, Abe Lincoln and Barrak Obama."
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait to kill my computer with the demo.

Spoiler:
    Steam
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This MUST be modded in.

Mercenaries 2 has apparently beat them to it. O_o

Obama and Palin as DLC characters for Mercenaries 2
    http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/34582/XPlay_Gaming_Update_103008.html
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/obama-palin-com.html

edit: Still not sure if this is real.

Back on topic: I'm sure a variety of celebrity and political "replacement models" for the infected will come out, if it is possible.

edited November 2008
    It's nice to have the option of playing as the special enemies, minus the witch, but the only people I see giving it much play time are people trying to get their griefing out of their system. Most griefers will already be getting their fill be ruining other people's games.

The other alternative is people who actually want to play as zombies and that's terrible. Undead sympathizing scum.

So playing against someone in a versus mode is greifing? Wut?

I can see where he's coming from, but in this instance, that's a good thing. Playing the infected is pretty much doing your very best to kick the survivors while they're down(often literally), but for once it's a playstyle that can be used productively. It's the best of everything, and it makes it easier for everyone to have their fun without stepping on anyone's toes.

• FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, demo impressions?

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

Oh, I wanted to clear up this bit of information. The title has two words and two spaces. It also has a number.

Shame on you, Jon, for perpetuating false information.

edited November 2008

Oh, I wanted to clear up this bit of information. The title has two words and two spaces. It also has a number.

Pfft, I'm a programmer. It's all an array of characters to me.

• Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    darklite_x wrote: »
    How long until someone mods the zombies to look like children?

Couldn't let this strange little nugget get lost in the abyss.

No doubt a few kid zombies would make it better.

The most creepy part about Dawn of the Dead was the little girl in the beginning. D:

roland even though you are just living life until ragnarok

us mortals have to deal
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, one number!

• Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User
    edited November 2008
    No. Griefers, as defined by dictionary.com: "Griefers differ from typical players in that they do not play the game in order to achieve objectives defined by the game world. Instead, they seek to harass other players, causing grief."

If you're exploiting the game to stop the survivors, you're griefing. And will probably get banned from the PA L4D community. If you're playing the god damn game, you aren't griefing.

edited November 2008

Pfft, I'm a programmer. It's all an array of characters to me.

one of them is an integer..
    Spoiler:

edited November 2008

Two words, one number!

The two spaces is the important part!

Spoiler:

It's not an int, it is in the middle of a string!

edited November 2008

Two words, one number!

Spoiler:

fair play, you got me there... you wait till i get to play Tank then ill be an int, ill be the 1 that zombifies you.

edited November 2008

This MUST be modded in.

Mercenaries 2 has apparently beat them to it. O_o

Obama and Palin as DLC characters for Mercenaries 2
    http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/34582/XPlay_Gaming_Update_103008.html
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/obama-palin-com.html

edit: Still not sure if this is real.

Back on topic: I'm sure a variety of celebrity and political "replacement models" for the infected will come out, if it is possible.

Dear god... THEY'RE IN MY BRAIN!

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So if I pre ordered the 360 version at Game Stop, I wont get the early demo for L4D?

steam_sig.png
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

Stragint Twitch check.php?c=Stragint
    edited November 2008
    No. Griefers, as defined by dictionary.com: "Griefers differ from typical players in that they do not play the game in order to achieve objectives defined by the game world. Instead, they seek to harass other players, causing grief."

If you're exploiting the game to stop the survivors, you're griefing. And will probably get banned from the PA L4D community. If you're playing the god damn game, you aren't griefing.

I couldn't really figure out how to respond to a post so...silly. The best I can say is that we're not arguing about what the technical definition of a word is according to dictionary.com. We're discussing what a certain group of people who enjoy an activity commonly referred to as "griefing" will do in this game.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, one number!

Spoiler:

You know what? I'm a physicist/mathematician, thus it's: 4*e^2*LftDad

Spoiler:
    Steam
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Old article but talks about match making

match_making.jpg
    Image of matchmaking in Left 4 Dead
    Steam is quickly shifting from being just a distribution system to becoming an actual platform that’s single handedly making PC gaming what it needs to be. In an interview with CVG.com, Robin Walker (Valve Programmer/Designer) revealed that Valve is currently working on including matchmaking/lobby functionality for Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, as well as the Steamworks development tools. So expect AAA and indie titles alike to feature current and upcoming Steamworks features.

When asked about specific feature sets, Robin Walker replied, “We’ve no firm plans in terms of being able to say what exact feature-set you’ll get, but there’s absolutely some matchmaking systems going in. In terms of more generalized matchmaking, not so much on the individual level, but on team and clan levels, that’s something we’d really like to get into Steam at a basic level, so that it supports any product.”

edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »

Two words, one number!

Spoiler:

You know what? I'm a physicist/mathematician, thus it's: 4*e^2*LftDad

and this just goes to show why maths/physics are overly complicated

edited November 2008
    Hitsu for president.

• darklite_xdarklite_x I can't find Turner and HoochRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, one number!
    Tycho, this has been bugging the shit out of me, but every time I see your avatar I read it as "Sex Palin-Too tight?"

0b3ZR.jpg
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Proper matchmaking might even make CS fun for me again. I'm pretty bad at PC shooters (or everyone else is pretty good). It's going to be hard deciding between the XBox 360 and PC versions, because the PC version won't have matchmaking out the gate. On the other hand, it should run at 60fps/max settings on my PC, and the controls will be better. Choices....

• HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Proper matchmaking might even make CS fun for me again. I'm pretty bad at PC shooters (or everyone else is pretty good). It's going to be hard deciding between the XBox 360 and PC versions, because the PC version won't have matchmaking out the gate. On the other hand, it should run at 60fps/max settings on my PC, and the controls will be better. Choices....

I don't know about that, since I'm pretty sure they're turning on the match making stuff from tomorrow when the demo hits.

IGN Hands on Versus Mode from bout a month ago
    Some choice bits
    When you're playing as infected and are killed by the survivors, you enter a respawn cycle that takes about 20 seconds before the game redeploys you. It's then up to you to determine where you actually spawn; the primary restriction being you can't select a location right next to the survivors. You'll be in communication with the rest of your team through your Xbox Live headsets or the PC version's built-in voice chat, so it's possible to coordinate different types of strikes. For instance, you can set it up so a boomer pukes on a survivor and when the infected horde rushes, a smoker can lasso whoever's furthest removed from the ground and drag them into the shadows. Ideally, the rest of the group is so distracted with the horde they don't notice their missing teammate, letting the smoker claw its victim to death.

Edit : might as well throw this up here as well

Old article but talks about match making

match_making.jpg
    Image of matchmaking in Left 4 Dead
    Steam is quickly shifting from being just a distribution system to becoming an actual platform that’s single handedly making PC gaming what it needs to be. In an interview with CVG.com, Robin Walker (Valve Programmer/Designer) revealed that Valve is currently working on including matchmaking/lobby functionality for Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, as well as the Steamworks development tools. So expect AAA and indie titles alike to feature current and upcoming Steamworks features.

When asked about specific feature sets, Robin Walker replied, “We’ve no firm plans in terms of being able to say what exact feature-set you’ll get, but there’s absolutely some matchmaking systems going in. In terms of more generalized matchmaking, not so much on the individual level, but on team and clan levels, that’s something we’d really like to get into Steam at a basic level, so that it supports any product.”

This discussion has been closed.