As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

User Issue: G&T Rule Request

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
Mainly G&T, but I think this rule would work on all the forums. It's been in Glossolalia for months, and I always wonder why it's not implemented elsewhere.

LarLar wrote:
Preemptive threadmaking is a lesson in ridiculousness
We don't need two open threads on the same goddamn topic. You can wait.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=6353189#post6353189

Aside from LarLar's reason, people end up changing the thread title and it becomes harder to search for old thread iterations.

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    1 ) Search before you post.
    There are many frequently discussed topics that have been run into the ground, and creating a new topic for which we have a 40-page discussion on page 2 will not win you many friends. If you are new to the forums, lurk for awhile before you start posting so that you can learn what people are tired of reading about.

Doesn't that cover it?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I want to know what spurred this.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Many threads over months. Seen recently with left4dead in G&T. Each time I ask myself "isn't there a rule against this?", look around, and find it's a Glossolalia only rule.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Many threads over months. Seen recently with left4dead in G&T. Each time I ask myself "isn't there a rule against this?", look around, and find it's a Glossolalia only rule.

Well to be fair, all the threads in Gloss are the same eventually. Chat forums tend to go over the same memes and thread ideas far more often than ontopics.

Also, G&T generally has the presence of mind of making a new thread and reporting the OP of the old for the mods to lock it.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it really a problem that the userbase acknowledge when a thread has got too long and make a new one? This seems like the ideal situation.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forums don't break at 100 pages anymore.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    we still have a 100 page limit

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Then around that time, a mod locks it, and a new thread is made.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought it was generally understood that we have one thread for each topic?

Henroid on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well part of the problem is, if you want to copy the OP of one thread to start another one, you can't quote (and therefore pull up all the code and formatting) when a thread is locked, so you need to do that pre-lock.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Getting down to the nitty gritty, I don't like when they change the title to something annoying. It's rare to see threads ending up like that in Glossolalia.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But the title changing is nothing to do with the making of new threads.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still have no idea what the actual problem is

Tube on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think he wants threads recreated after 100 pages to have the same title they originally had. I doubt anyone's going to want to go into the logistics of enforcing that.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    If the thread was active until lock, the OP wouldn't have to change the thread title just to have people post in the new one.
    Same old same old. Glossolalia has this neat thing and I wanted G&T to have it, too.
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I think he wants threads recreated after 100 pages to have the same title they originally had. I doubt anyone's going to want to go into the logistics of enforcing that.
    The new thread can be whatever. Annoyed having old threads being retitled "MODS-PLEASE LOCK" or "STOP POSTING HERE"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    The L4D thread went over 100 pages because I didn't want a new thread to be page after page of "is the demo out yet?".

Echo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    If the thread was active until lock, the OP wouldn't have to change the thread title just to have people post in the new one.

Because the old L4D thread being unlocked for five minutes because I was taking a dump when the PM was sent is a major disaster.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Same old same old. Glossolalia has this neat thing and I wanted G&T to have it, too.
    Scrublet wrote: »
    The new thread can be whatever. Annoyed having old threads being retitled "MODS-PLEASE LOCK" or "STOP POSTING HERE"

Addressing the second and third points.

Gloss++ is consistently far faster paced in their threads than we are in the on topics. The rule seemed to be preventing thread sniping or what have you. G&T threads generally have OPs handled by the same person, or group there of for the thread. Fyre and I handle Halo3, Arikado handles Rock Band. And like it was brought up, the OPs hold a wealth of information that is formatted spefically making it harder to pull if the thread is locked. Of course, I may be imagining that the ruling for Gloss is proactive against thread starting wars, if I am disregard most of the above.

If anything, the "PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD" titles should at least have the original subject in the title, in the vein of what I had with "Halo 3 | This is the Old Thread."

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    All good points I can agree with, if that was the original intent. If not, those are still good reasons not to make the rule apply to every forum.

Checking thread history, the threads I've seen have done the "[Name] - Please lock this" type of rename, so that wroks for you, Badman. Even though I dislike the ALL CAPS THREAD TITLES, asking them to use lower case would be overdoing it, requestwise.

A point came to mind though, that instead of including PLEASE LOCK the OP can just as easily report his own post asking for it to be locked.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Reporting the post clogs things up (also not everyone has a report button)

We're smart enough to police our own threads. I'd think it would be better that a forum is capable of policing itself a bit, not everything should have to require mod attention.

also you should be running searches against post content, not titles. Use the "has at least x replies" function to find big threads.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I like this idea very much.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I think I like this idea very much.

Which idea? There's about 6 of them here now.

1. Don't start a new thread without the old one being locked.
    2. Change the title (BUT KEEP THE GAME NAME) and Report the OP of the old one when making a new thread.
    3. Buttfucking.

Ok, well that's only 3. Sorry.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    this is ridiculous and no, it isn't happening

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.