As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

mining internship over school

b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I kinda got the opportunity to take a 8 month internship but it sets me back in school about a year. That's kinda the whole situation. Comments?

Edit: I'm a first year mining engineering student and the internship is a Co-op for 8 months during either Jan-may or may-dec of 2009. I guess they have trouble filling it. If I take the internship, I get set back a year, as my classes are in a sequence. That is, certain classes offered in the fall, then the next step offered in the spring. If I skip a semester, say fall, I have to wait until next fall to take the classes again.

b0bd0d on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably not worth it. You have no context on what the internship is, where you are in school, what program you're in at school, etc...revise the OP a bit and you'll allow people to comment more effectively. For a semester, at least, i'd be surprised if you couldn't get credit for it.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Co-op if just about always worth doing. Maybe they could extend the work term to 10 months or a year for you?

supertall on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Experience means a lot in any field, even if it sets you back it might end up benefitting you more than if you choose not to do it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm chiming in on the side of take the internship.
    Schools and classes are great for transferring theoretical knowledge. But the only way to get practical knowledge and experience is to actually do the job. It'll also help you network with people who are actually in the field, which can be of tremendous value when looking for a paid position later.

As a side note, if you decide you can't stand the job and decide you want to do something else then that internship may have just saved you a considerable chunk of time and money that would otherwise have been spent completing the education.

see317 on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm chiming in on the side of take the internship.
    Schools and classes are great for transferring theoretical knowledge. But the only way to get practical knowledge and experience is to actually do the job. It'll also help you network with people who are actually in the field, which can be of tremendous value when looking for a paid position later.

As a side note, if you decide you can't stand the job and decide you want to do something else then that internship may have just saved you a considerable chunk of time and money that would otherwise have been spent completing the education.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You may be able to get course credits for the internship, in which case you might not be set that far back since you can skip some electives. If you are able to make a good impression and they want you to come back or get you in the door somewhere else when you graduate, that would be invaluable.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    what mine will it be at? I have to say internships give you a great deal of knowledge that will help in future classes.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's with the company Unimin. The person I talked to on the phone yesterday said that I'ma go all over the place. They run about 35 mines in north america and mexico. It sounds like a hell of an opportunity. I'ma go talk to some people and see what they can do about me skipping shit. Maybe I'll grab an extra minor or something. Already getting two...

b0bd0d on