As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance 2: Rise of Wang - Wherein Mouths Are Open

JAEFJAEF Unstoppably BaldRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
RESISTANCE 2: Open Mouthaloo

r2.jpg

Trailer contains extremely minor
Some screens. Check your favorite corporate shill site for more!
944521_20081105_screen007.jpg
944521_20081105_screen011.jpg
944521_20080820_screen001.jpg
944521_20081105_screen018.jpg

SINGLE PLAYER:

-All new seven chapter campaign picks up immediately after the credits of Resistance: Fall of Man. Campaign is One Player only, no same system co-op for the story campaign. R2 drops the British narrator for a more intimate experience with you, Hale, and a cast of awkwardly animated supporting characters.
A summary of R:FoM
The game starts in 1951, with the protagonist, Sgt. Nathan Hale, as part of the United States Army Rangers 5,000-man task force to help liberate Britain and to retrieve a secret weapon that the British claim can be used against the Chimera. However, the force is quickly wiped out by a Chimeran spire attack, which infects all of the soldiers with the Chimeran virus, soon after landing in York. Hale, the only survivor, appears to be infected with the virus despite not having gone into a coma; he possesses increased metabolism, increased strength and limited regeneration, and his irises have become gold/yellow, somewhat like the Chimera. He now harnesses the power to use sym-bacs, the games version of health packs, to instantly regenerate up to a quarter of his health at a time.

Hale continues on his mission, along the way meeting with and rescuing Captain Rachel Parker while escaping from a Chimeran conversion center in Grimsby. Parker assists Hale over the radio for the rest of his mission. Hale and the British forces eventually manage to deliver the secret weapon to one of the Resistance's headquarters, only for it to be attacked by Chimeran forces shortly afterward. It is revealed that the "secret weapon" is actually an "Angel", a Chimeran creature that British Intelligence was able to capture. The Angels are the most powerful form of Chimera creature, and British Intelligence theorizes that they control the rest of the Chimera forces through some form of telepathy. The Angel attempts to enter into Hale's mind, but he manages to resist the mind-meld and shoots the creature in the head with one long burst from his assault rifle, killing it.

Hale continues with the war effort, assisted by Lieutenant Stephen Cartwright, a British Royal Marines Commando. The two of them eventually discover that the Chimera have established a series of metallic Towers throughout Britain, all inter-connected by a series of underground power conduits. Oddly, evidence indicates that the Towers were excavated, not constructed, adding more mystery as to the origin of the Chimera. Hale enters the underground Chimeran tunnels and discovers that the Chimera's main Tower in Britain is in London. Through his connection to the Chimera, Hale comes to the conclusion that destroying the central Tower will somehow result in the total defeat of the Chimera in Britain.

The British and American forces launch one final, desperate attack against the main Tower in London. Hale manages to reach the top of the Tower and destroy its central nuclear fission reactor, resulting in a massive explosion that demolishes the main Tower. The reaction propagates along the Chimera conduit network, destroying all the Towers in Britain and killing all of the Angels inside. With the Angels dead, the remaining Chimera forces quickly die off. Parker theorizes that they are simply unable to survive without the presence of the Angels. While Britain is liberated from the Chimeran forces, the rest of Europe continues to be occupied by the Chimera.

As for Hale, he is presumed to have been killed in the explosion of the main Tower, and the Americans list him as Killed in Action. Parker is not convinced, though, and believes that Hale may have managed to survive somehow. The game's final cutscene shows Hale indeed alive, walking through the rubble and snow, armed with only a single grenade. Suddenly, he is captured by a squad of soldiers wearing unusual insignia, appearing to be some form of special forces, known only as the Black-Ops, a name given to them in the multiplayer mode (their bodies are seen at various points towards the very end of the campaign game, near the Central Core itself, and appear to be specially outfitted in airtight suits designed to resist or repel Chimeran spire attacks). Hale briefly contemplates killing them as well as himself with the grenade, but ultimately decides against it. He drops the grenade and allows himself to be taken into custody by the soldiers (the name of the video cut is "A Fateful Choice"). This is where Resistance 2 picks up.

-Several gameplay changes from the first, including only being able to carry two weapons at once, all weapons are more accurate and there has been a rehaul of available weapons. All weapons handle better, have better accuracy and much faster projectile speed. Very nice.

-Life system changed to Gears of War style complete regeneration, life bar quarters have been removed.

-Larger amount of enemies but all enemies have less health.

-No vehicle sequences. All FPS all the time. There is no attach-to-cover system, this is not a third person shooter, get the fuck out.

-Epic bosses! Boss fights are not as tactical as the first, but do not punish you as much for not memorizing patterns. Also, EVERYTHING IS FUCKING GIGANTIC!

-There is a real color palette.

COOPERATIVE MULTIPLAYER:

-Play up to two players on one PS3 or take it online with 1-2 local players and 8 total players per game. Party up with people from your friends list straight from inside the game, no hassle. Parties stay together even if a game ends and can move between game types seamlessly. No messaging back and forth required to make sure everyone gets in the right game.

-Class-based gameplay means you need your teammates to survive. No gimmick sales pitch bullshit, this is the real deal. Soldier [damage/tank], Medic [healing/support], and Special Ops [ammo/damage] each play a key role. Running off on your own will get you dead fast, no mavericks allowed!

-Start with access to your basic weapon and berserker abilities and gain access to more through the experience and level system. Rudimentary equipment and character customization allows you to personalize your character even more.

-Extremely detailed stat tracking both in-game and through MyResistance.net. Full clan support and competitive ranking system.

-Six different locations each containing multiple objective-based scenarios each.

-One scenario can take between 15-30 minutes, behaves like a single player chapter with cutscenes and story NPCs cut out and NPC voice communication detailing plot and objectives as you move through the level.

-Monster health scales with the amount of players in the game, providing a challenging experience whether it's just you and your mother, or you and your mother's entire book club.

-If a player dies, anyone (not just medics) can resurrect them by standing near their corpse and holding triangle. This lets your defenses down so ressurections in the line of fire are difficult and require teamwork to pull off. Without player assistance you will self-resurrect within 30 seconds. If all players are dead at once, the mission is failed.

-This shit alone is worth the purchase.

Newbie Guide to Co-Op, courtesy of Threepio:
Co-Operative Multi-player: Knowing your Role!

Welcome to co-operative multiplayer in Resistance 2: The whuppin' of the Americas

R2 Co-op is a different beast than you may be used to. The stages build their own story arc that runs parallel but separate from the arc you'll find in the single player campaign. There are three distinct classes and eight players per squad. Co-operative play succeeds when you use the talents of your class to support the team around you. Let's look at those three classes.

Soldier
The soldier is the "tank" of the team. You will initially sport a HVAP Wraith minigun and the Ironheart berserk. The HVAP wraith sports primary fire (R1 button) that spins up the chaingun and fires 200 rounds per clip. You can carry 400 rounds at one time. Secondary fire is potentially more important: the Wraith will generate a shield in front of you. Think of this shield like an umbrella, covering you and those behind you from damage. The shield is powered by it's own separate energy counter; a maximum of 35 points are available and the shield will tick down one point per second when you're not under fire. It will deplete much more quickly while under fire. When the shield energy counter hits zero the shield dissipates, leaving you and those you were protecting vulnerable. Running (Holding L2) will drop your shield.

How to be a good soldier:
  • Get out in front and pop your shield up while under fire. Don't move, it's not deathmatch - it's hard for those behind you to stay under your shield when you're dodging and weaving like Cassius Clay.
  • As mentioned earlier, don't move - or make slow, deliberate movements when you do. Think about the people behind you!
  • When your shield is up: DUCK (tap L2). This allows people to stand behind you and lay into the enemy without putting a few in the back of your head.
  • Call for ammo when you need it (if spec ops are doing their job you shouldn't have to, but it can get hectic).
  • Throw grenades when you've got a clump of enemies ahead of you.
  • Turn off your shield when you're facing enemies that only melee; the shield does not protect against them.

How to get XP as a soldier:
  • Shield your allies - every shot you absorb that would have hit them is XP for you
  • Shoot the enemy - keep that trigger down
  • Toss grenades intelligently - look for clumps of foes and do some serious damage with a 'nade

Berserk:
Ironheart - activate Ironheart to reduce the quantity of damage that you'll take while it is active. Activate it by hitting the left button on the d-pad.
Overload - activating overload turns you into a human time bomb. Rush into a mass of enemies to detonate yourself. You will not be penalized for a suicide. It's recommended you only do this when there's at least one more soldier around to cover the group.

Weapon unlocks:
  • Shotgun
  • Auger
  • Bullseye
  • LAARK

Spec-Ops
You're both damage dealing and supply as spec ops. Your position should be close to or behind the soldier. Your grenade button has been replaced with an ammo tossing ability (you can toss ammo or grenade packs, select by hitting up or down on the d-pad). You begin by carrying the Marksman. Primary fire (R1) is a 21 shot clip that fires in three round bursts. The L1 button zooms for a sniper shot, handing for taking out long range enemies. Secondary fire (R2) is an autonomous electrical burst that will attack everything in range. Tossing ammo replenishes your secondary fire, so use it regularly!

How to be a good spec-ops:
  • Stay behind the soldier and continue to toss ammo
  • Use your Prototype ammo berserk during large scale conflicts or when fighting bosses - it deals an additional 25% damage for anyone who picks one up
  • Keep firing that electron burst
  • Feed medics ammo if they're out, but focus your attention on the soldiers
  • Switch up your ammo types to feed grenades and regular ammo to soldiers - it keeps the shield up and helps them gain a little more XP

How to get XP as spec-ops:
  • Feed ammo (30xp per toss)
  • Constantly use secondary fire (it's replenished by feeding ammo to others)
  • Stay behind the shield and use primary fire to rack up XP while feeding ammo!

Berserk:
Prototype Ammo - spawn four boxes of ammo that will give the recipients a boost of 25% to damage dealt
Invisibility - predatory cloak. Go wild and crazy.

Weapon Unlocks
  • Bullseye
  • Fareye
  • Auger
  • Bellock

Medic
As the medic it's your job to keep people standing and to pick them back up when they hit the deck. Your gun, the Phoenix, can damage enemies (R1) with primary fire. This, in turn, will help reload your secondary fire (R2) which is an Area-of-Effect heal-bomb (no, it's not TF2, the primary fire is NOT a heal beam). You resurrect people much faster than anyone else on the team so do your best to get on site when you can.

How to be a good medic:
  • Stay behind the soldier and spec-ops. You're no good to anyone dead.
  • Heal efficiently - be patient when damage is being dealt (don't pop a heal right away) but be decisive when necessary (learn your timing, this comes with a bit of experience)
  • Use your primary fire when you can, but keep your focus on healing. The Phoenix is an incredibly low damage weapon. When you unlock others (the machine gun) you can swap out, but be ready for a quick switch to do your job.

How to gain XP as a medic:
  • Heal
  • Heal
  • Heal
  • Heal and say something snarky over your mic

Berserk:
Ring of Light - Lays down a ring that heals all inside. In tough firefights, get up close to your team and drop it where it will help the most people. The ring is stationary and stays where it is dropped.

Weapon Unlocks
  • M5A2 Carbine
  • Rossmore
  • HE 44 Magnum
  • Splicer
[/QUOTE]

COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER:

-All weapons available from the start, 4 berserker abilities available from level 1. More berserker abilities unlocked as you level. Choose which weapon you start with! Chimera can choose the M40, SRPA can choose the Bullseye to start with. Only thing separating the races are the availability of one type of berserk each.

-Dynamic spawning similar to CoD4 except for Core Control games where you have a base.

-New game modes that will kick you in the dick:
Core Control: Capture the Flag
Skirmish: Points-based multiplayer mode with rapidly shifting objectives, including capture a point, defend a point, kill/stay alive as a specific player.

-Even the standard Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes are incredibly fun. The non-standard weapons make for very interesting firefights. Shooting through walls anyone?

-Up to 60 players at once. With no lag. No lag. 60 players. Reread this. I prefer smaller games myself, but still.

PLAY WITH PA!

-Join the Penny Arcade clan Rise of Wang today! Apply through the ingame clan menu for an invite, or send me a PSN message and I'll get back to you. This is not a serious business clan, just a pool of people whom you know are decent human beings if you want to pick up some mates for a game.

-Current Member List:
Forum - PSN
Jaef - Jaef
BloodHarvest - BloodHarvest
Varega - VaregaDiablo
Etiowsa - Etiowsa
Marikir - Marikir
Threepio - rogerwilco
Clayburn - Caerus

xobxxer - Entair
The Sneak! - TheSneak
Lord Nibbler - JPBrowncoat
muninn - Putrid_grin
zabian227 - zabian227
guidedbyvices - Radcrimes
monkeydrye - sghoul

ZOMBIE NIRVANA - ATXZOMBIE
Epyon9283 - Epyon9283
drrrk - Hornbuck
xWonderboyx - xwonderboyx
The_Spaniard - Span_Wolf
Karrmer - Karrmer
pyromaniac221 - ForKNinja

DHS Odium - DHSOdium
firewaterword - TheMakersMark
TheOne(AndOnly) - Lqmpley
UnbreakableVow - UnbreakableVow
Cyrixd - CyrixD
TheLawinator - TheLawinator

king awesome - K1ng_Awesome
Bogey - Bogestrom

-To be removed or added to these lists either PM me on the forums or post in this thread. Thanks to ginguskahn for 2/3 of the clan name and being a fine inspiration for young children everywhere.

JAEF on

• Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I feel like I'm playing a FPS RPG. Can't get enough of that Co-Op.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm loving the shit out of this game and I'm still in the single-player campaign.
    Can't wait to get me some co-op.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was torn between this and a plethora of other games, but I'm pretty sure those screenshots just sold me on this game. GoW2 can wait.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm already in PA Resistance. Yesterday was awesome.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmmm...I didn't set up Resistance PA. However, I do not mind being named in the OP! First time for everything and all that.

That being stated, I will be happy to join any clan that will allow me to play more of the absolute joy that is the Co-Op in Resistance 2. Especially with the fine people to be found here. I'll send a request for an invite this evening.

The OP is completely correct, this mode alone is worth the cost of purchase. Last night was some of the most fun I've ever had in an online game.

I'm only past the first 3 levels I believe.
    I just left the forest area and have moved into
    the battleship
    and that small town area was...creepy. I destroyed as many of those egg/chrysallis things as I could. I didn't care about ammo, those things had to be destroyed.
    And even though I haven't gotten far into the campaign, I don't think I can stop playing Co-Op. Co-Op will definitely slow my progress through the Campaign.

Varega and BakerIsBored - Thanks for the fun time last night. You guys helped make my first experience with Co-Op epic.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Add me - ATXZOMBIE

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    guys, if I hated the 1st game, will i like this one?

muninn on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The guns still sound like peashooters. Sound is too integral a component for immersing the player in the game to be shoddy, and it's why R1 never captivated me. I can't believe they didn't fix it in R2.

Besides the sound, the gameplay and graphics look amazing. I can't decide between this or LittleBigPlanet.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    muninn wrote: »

Tough to say. Depends on what you didn't like about the first game.

This one is more frantic. More colorful. It has a Full Health Regen system, instead of the regenerating Health Quarters of the last game.

I like it more. Of course, Co-Op mode and the ridiculous amount of fun it was might be coloring my opinion. But I am enjoying the Campaign mode as well.

Marikir on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Really depends on what you hated about the 1st. The "fixed/changed" a bunch of stuff, but its still resistance. What I really like better is that the guns are more powerful/acurate and the enemies go down easier, there is just more of them. The game play is faster because of this, and the pacing is better all around too. (I still liked R1, but R2 is better)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    As an addendum - Whoever noted in the last thread that at points in this game, you feel like you're in a First Person Zerg Rush...I agree completely.

Co-Op Mode. Chicago. Alleyways FULL of those melee Chimera. All running headlong into the stream of hot lead/energy I and my teammates are laying down...and they keep coming. Actually had to move back slowly, trying to keep some distance. Never has reloading felt so slow.

Marikir on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyway I had the last post before the other thread was locked.
    I am a lil disappointed that they've removed ALL vehicle sections from the game. I really liked them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RhavenRhaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so...my gf and I loved the first game, mainly due to the splitscreen co-op mode, which we've played through numerous times on various difficulty settings. Picked up R2 and played it for the first time yesterday and were really disappointed with the offline splitscreen "campaign". It felt really...arcadey and almost like a completely different game than the single player campaign. Is it worth sticking it out and seeing if it gets better, or is it basically completely lame without moving online and adding more players (as one or two reviews have suggested)? Did Insomniac basically remove the one part of R1 that we really enjoyed?

This is not to say that I think R2 is a bad game; quite the contrary. The single player game looks great and is really intense, and I can definitely appreciate all the online fun it has to offer...that's just not really our cup of tea. So, is Resistance no longer the franchise for us 2-player splitscreen co-op lovers?

Rhaven on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The way the Co-Op mode works is that you don't play the campaign, as you've found out. That might be a little disappointing to me as well, but I never did that in R1, so I can't say.

All in all, what did you like about the Co-Op mode from R1? Going through the story? Just playing levels? Or was it playing with another person?

I will say, however, that if you can get online and get into a party with about 4-6 others (totaling 6 - 8 people) and go at it, that I think your opinion might change. When R2 Co-Op gels, it gels into diamonds.

I think it would be nice to have someone sit next to me and play Co-Op mode as well while playing online with other PAers.

Marikir on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought I saw some people split screening during the 8 person online co-op game?

edit: Medic owns down for getting XP fast. I'm almost up to my 1 mill exp for online co-op. Been fun playing with most of you, gonna pass out for the day but will be on later.

I can't wait to play some of the later co-op maps after we unlock them.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I have a 25 dollar best buy gift card. I believe I am going to get this.

Also, I love trophies so much. It was probably the tipping point over Gears. Achievements are fine, but trophies, man, trophies.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    RhavenRhaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    All in all, what did you like about the Co-Op mode from R1? Going through the story? Just playing levels? Or was it playing with another person?

I think we just liked playing through an interesting story _with_ each other, instead of one of us watching the other person play and just shouting encouragement or whatever. Figuring out tactics and fighting battles (or getting our asses kicked) together was kind of the main draw, and we found ourselves playing it much more than any other game we've tried together. There don't seem to be too many shooters out that offer 2-player offline play (we weren't really big fans of Haze, and haven't tried Army of Two yet, although I've heard good things about it). We don't play games that often at this point...maybe once every couple of weeks, so playing online sometimes seems like a bit more hassle than it's worth. But I guess we'll try some of the online modes in R2 and see how it goes!

Rhaven on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think I'm going to take a stab at describing how Co-Op mode plays out.

Each "Map" is very large. In each map, there are a number of different Zones where certain encounters take place. Each time you play in Co-Op, you are lead from encounter to encounter by Hale, who is your commander, speaking to you in your character's ear. You don't necessarily play through the encounters in the same order, they can switch them up. However, the flow feels like a dynamic campaign level, where the story changes slightly each time you play. Yes, you can begin to learn what happens in each encounter zone, but that doesn't make it easier.

Also, the amount of enemies thrown at you border on the obscene. The amount of tracers, energy beams and blasts, and shields become almost overwhelming...but I never noticed any slowdown. Smooth carnage, start to finish.

Marikir on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess my problems with the 1st game was bland art direction, and crappy weapons...
    I think i will be picking this up just for the multiplayer though...

muninn on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess my problems with the 1st game was bland art direction, and crappy weapons...

This. I know I mentioned it before, but I cannot believe there are not more complaints about the weapons. The art direction in this one looks better, and the weapons themselves look great, but is it really any better than R1? I haven't played R2 yet, I've only seen gameplay.

And if someone could help me decide between this and LBP.... I'm thinking right now I don't really have time for online games or anything, and that casual gaming would be better. Does LBP even fit in that category? What about R2, is it pick up and play? What can you unlock online?

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    GAME GET!

I'm gonna play some single player for a bit, but my PSN is xwonderboyx

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Picking it up today.

Forum name Threepio - PSN tag rogerwilco

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »

This. I know I mentioned it before, but I cannot believe there are not more complaints about the weapons. The art direction in this one looks better, and the weapons themselves look great, but is it really any better than R1? I haven't played R2 yet, I've only seen gameplay.

And if someone could help me decide between this and LBP.... I'm thinking right now I don't really have time for online games or anything, and that casual gaming would be better. Does LBP even fit in that category? What about R2, is it pick up and play? What can you unlock online?

Yeah the R1 weapons were weak, took too many shots to kill even basic chimera. In R2, your weapons seem a lot more powerful in that the basic hybrids go down easy. And the art direction is much better imo. Lots of color and more detail. If I was alone and had to choose one I'd take R2. The checkpoints are frequent and it autosaves so its good for quick games. LBP single player is short and its still kind of difficult to find the awesome player built levels. (LBP will improve over time.) However if you want to do local multiplayer then I'd take LBP (best thing about it is its a perfect gf or wife game)

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    ClayburnClayburn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey add me to the list, picked this up on launch day.

Forum name: Clayburn PSN: Caerus

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
    PS3 FriendNameThing: Caerus | Steam: clayburnp
    "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...For when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
    "Ónen i-Estel mellyn, ú-chebin estel anim"
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I don't know if I agree. I've played it, and the weapons feel better, to me at least. Rumble helps. I think you'll have to try it yourself to decide on this. Gameplay videos, while okay for visuals, don't do a game justice as to the whole experience. Sounds and feel don't come across videos, heck even visual acuity might suffer somewhat due to video compression for online distribution.

I would encourage you to try it before deciding. That's my only suggestion.

I can pick up R2 and play for an hour or two. I actually want to play more, but you can stop. Frequent save/checkpoints in the Campaign mode with online games taking about 30 minutes or so each time. Online, you unlock different stuff. Seems to be mostly options for costuming and/or weapons in Co-Op. Competitive you have all of the main weapons to start with and can unlock new heads/bodies/options. Probably other support weapons as well, I'm not sure. Co-Op, you unlock new abilities and weapons. But you still start out at level 1 feeling powerful. Only played as a soldier so far.

I don't have LBP, so I can't compare. R2 is fun though.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The first chapter was fucking intense.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    God damn chameleons are scary.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    ClayburnClayburn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I like what they did with them, but the whole one-hit kill thing im not very fond of, ive been killed by several when i had to reload or just couldnt spot them in time. But yeah they are a bit scary.

Clayburn on
    clayburn.png
    PS3 FriendNameThing: Caerus | Steam: clayburnp
    "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...For when you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you."
    "Ónen i-Estel mellyn, ú-chebin estel anim"
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Heh yeah, good thing they go down so easy. (Boom!) I never had much luck with the bullseye trap, but the shotgun to the face works wonderfully. The one hit yer dead thing I didn't have much of a problem with, I think I only died to them like 3 times the whole game. (You can usually hear when they are around and the stomp stomp stomp of them charging you is hard to miss)

greeble on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Clayburn wrote: »

Yeah, I like what they did with them, but the whole one-hit kill thing im not very fond of, ive been killed by several when i had to reload or just couldnt spot them in time. But yeah they are a bit scary.

Shotguns were made for these bastards.

Marikir on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit, co-op is the bomb fucking diggity. I love you guys for making me buy this.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shotguns were made for these bastards.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit, co-op is the bomb fucking diggity. I love you guys for making me buy this.

Yeah its a damn solid game, Good campaign and good online, its just been overshadowed by the other big shooter being released this week.

greeble on

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just watched a video review with the San Francisco scene. My game looked NOTHING like that. It did not look "ugly", but there is a lot of flickering going on on the textures (happens in Uncharted to), and the game is not at all "smooth", but kind of ragged when there seems to be a lot of lighting effects going on. Couple this with the "Crackling" noise that comes on with loud noises and I'm seriously wondering what is up. The crackling happens with all games, not just limited to R2.

It doesn't happen with my XBOX, but those are connected with component cables.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ED! wrote: »
    I just watched a video review with the San Francisco scene. My game looked NOTHING like that. It did not look "ugly", but there is a lot of flickering going on on the textures (happens in Uncharted to), and the game is not at all "smooth", but kind of ragged when there seems to be a lot of lighting effects going on. Couple this with the "Crackling" noise that comes on with loud noises and I'm seriously wondering what is up. The crackling happens with all games, not just limited to R2.

How is your PS3 connected? And how old is it?

Marikir on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sounds like there is something wrong with your set-up or PS3.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I don't remember this happening with my version of the game. Perhaps you should try fiddling with your video setting. Perhaps your TV doesn't handle super white well or the full RGP setting. Maybe you also have shitty component cables...

greeble on

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The PS3 is connected with an HDMI cable that I got from FRY's. I figured I would go that route, instead of component cables, but am considering picking up some component cables from Gamestop to see if its the connector. The display setup is set to 720P, although 1080i also had the same look to the graphics. The text and menu all look fine, so I'm sure I have the display settings right.

Would the exploding crackling sound signal that there is something going on with the cables or the hdmi connectors?

I bought the PS3 off Craigslist, and the receipt said it was purchased new in April of this year. It's the 40Gig.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The way the Co-Op mode works is that you don't play the campaign, as you've found out. That might be a little disappointing to me as well, but I never did that in R1, so I can't say.

I will say, however, that if you can get online and get into a party with about 4-6 others (totaling 6 - 8 people) and go at it, that I think your opinion might change. When R2 Co-Op gels, it gels into diamonds.

I think it would be nice to have someone sit next to me and play Co-Op mode as well while playing online with other PAers.

Unless something has changed since beta, you can splitscreen online co-op. Did it with my brother with great sucess. BUT i don't think the second player get's exp. Or if they do, it's separate from the main player.

picked up my full copy today. Sghoul is gonna heal some bitches this weekend!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008

The PS3 is connected with an HDMI cable that I got from FRY's. I figured I would go that route, instead of component cables, but am considering picking up some component cables from Gamestop to see if its the connector. The display setup is set to 720P, although 1080i also had the same look to the graphics. The text and menu all look fine, so I'm sure I have the display settings right.

Would the exploding crackling sound signal that there is something going on with the cables or the hdmi connectors?

I bought the PS3 off Craigslist, and the receipt said it was purchased new in April of this year. It's the 40Gig.

Realizing that I'm not a console repairman or an audio/visual genius, what you're describing sounds to me like a connection/cable issue.

Try to get a new HDMI cable or component cables to test it out. I'm assuming that your sound is going through your HDMI, so if you have those popping noises in other games, I would definitely suspect your cable.

The graphics issues...well, that could be cabling, but I would suspect something to do with the system itself, just because I don't think cabling will effect the shape or "raggedness" of the game, while the graphics card/system would.

But definitely try out some new cables first.

Marikir on