As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance 2: Rise of Wang - Wherein Mouths Are Open

1789101113»

• Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Upcoming patch info.

If you played Resistance: Fall of Man, you know that Insomniac continually looked for ways to improve the online experience, even several months after the game’s release. We’re taking the same approach with Resistance 2, as patch 1.40 will be available for download on Monday, January 26 (you’ll automatically receive the download prompt the next time you play the game). The patch addresses several areas, including:

Multiplayer Progression

Some people have seen their competitive and/or cooperative characters reset to level 1. For several of those cases, this patch will not only bring back all the XP, stats, and attributes that you’ve lost, but it will also add to your character profile the XP/stats/attributes that you’ve earned since those levels were reset. For example, say you were a level 20 medic and after being reset to level 1, and you earned 5,000 XP. Thanks to the patch, you’ll return a level 20 medic and that 5,000 XP will be added to your profile.

This patch will also correct some medal and trophy issues, including the “Killing Machine” trophy (if you’ve already accumulated 10,000 kills but haven’t received this trophy, it’ll pop up as soon as you download the patch).

Here are some additional patch 1.40 details:

Trophy/Medal/Ribbons

* “Salute Me” trophy is not awarded until player reaches level 31 (Lieutenant)
    * “Berserker” trophy can be collected during non-ranked games
    * “Survivor” medal can be collected in cooperative games
    * “Sure Shot” ribbon is awarded if player has accuracy of exactly 50%

Clans

* Added clan support for viewing members, sending invites, and setting up clan tags
    * Default clan region is now USA

Match Balancing

* Unbalanced ranked games are cancelled in staging before the game is started
    * Parties are prevented from matchmaking into free-for-all Deathmatch games

Competitive

* Loadouts can be disabled in the “Create Game” screen in competitive games
    * Balanced the chance of dropping large ammo pickups in competitive games
    * Core Control scoreboard displays “Kills”
    * Improved scoreboard formatting

Cooperative

* Balanced the amount of XP gained by the Medic class in cooperative games
    * Stalker movement enabled in cooperative games
    * Small ammo pickups don’t give LAARK ammo in cooperative games

Weapons/Gameplay

* Splash damage on Pulse Cannon can damage the player firing it
    * Rossmore reticule better reflects its accuracy
    * Fire is easier to shake off
    * Players cannot swap weapons in the middle of a melee attack

Miscellaneous

* Localized text updates
    * Network message optimizations
    * EULA displays the correct language text for Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish and Danish

Now you may be asking, “But what about adding the option to save the second player’s character progress?” Truth be told, it required a certain PS3 firmware that wasn’t available at the time of Resistance 2’s release. We now have that firmware and are currently working to implement the feature. As soon as it’s ready, we’ll get it out to you.

If you have any questions regarding the patch, please visit and post in the MyResistance.net message boards. The Insomniacs will be there to help answer them.

Vray on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seems like a cool patch. Hopefully they get to the patch that allows both players to log in to the PSN and keep stats soon. My friend pretty well lost interest when he found out nothing he did would be saved. Also, I just wish they'd work on a patch or expansion or something (even paid) that makes the single player campaign co-opable.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, nerf to medic healing exp seems obvious.

Stalkers being able to move is a pretty big deal. A stationary turret as a boss was incredibly jolting after fighting them in R1 and single player in R2. The uh.. giant.. fire acid spitting.. seed.. dudes.. make much more sense as stationary turrets due to their placement in the maps but coming up on a Stalker was just weird.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I always thought so too. But now those encounters are going to be mad hectic with people trying to not get trampled. Sign me up!

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bit of a thread necro but from pushsquare.
    The first Resistance 2 DLC content pack is scheduled to be released this week (March 26th), a video with Gamespot has confirmed. The content is split into two parts: a free patch and paid content from the Playstation Store.

The free patch, 1.5, will add a new multiplayer mode (Meltdown) and a new difficulty level in co-op mode. The patch will also allow a local co-op player to sign with their PSN, saving accumulated scores.

The new map packs, which are part of the paid content will allow for more “intimate battles” on a smaller scale. The map pack, titled “Aftermath” will cost $5.99. There are also a few skins available at $0.99.

The ability for a second person to log in is nice, considering how requested it was. Wasn't meltdown a gametype in the original Resistance?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, with that free patch me and my buddy'll probably be coming back to R2's co op, which we never even really did much in to begin with because of that non-dual login problem. Great to see that it's a nice free patch coming soon.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just saw this earlier today. Yeah, meltdown was in the original R:FoM. I might actually dust off my old copy for this.

Vray on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there enough interest around to try and get some hard mode co-op games going after the patch hits?

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    Is there enough interest around to try and get some hard mode co-op games going after the patch hits?
    I'm up for it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not sure I am up to you guy's level of play, but I could be up for it depending on the time. Nearly have my medic maxed.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Motherfucking can't edit my OP since I'm jailed. I'll put this in there when I can but for now here's the patch info:

Patch v1.50 RAAAAAAAAAGE!
    New 1.50 patch details have emerged. This patch will be available for free on Thursday March 26th after the PSN store update along with some DLC:

Aftermath Map Pack ($5.99)
    -Per the devs smaller, more intimate maps for close quarters combat.

Character Skins ($0.99 Each) including but not limited to:
    Rachel Parker
    Female Soldier
    Black Ops Variation 1
    Black Ops Variation 2
    Cloven
    Ravager

New Features and Shit:
    -Playing Co-op with two people on one machine will now allow the second person to log in with their own PSN account to properly accumulate experience, intel and grey tech whereas before second player information was never saved and lost forever. Will possibly work with Competitive as well? Wasn't made too clear.

-New difficulty introduced in Co-op: Superhuman difficulty. There will be higher experience & gray tech rewards and the NPCs will be more difficult. In addition, if you die rather than being revived automatically in 30 seconds you are left to rot until a teammate comes over to your failure of a corpse and revives you themselves. May be some other gameplay differences as well.

-Community features including support for joining friends' games in progress, passwording games, among other things possibly? It is a mystery.

-MELTDOWN MODE is back! Here's how it worked in Resistance: Fall of Mouth -- The goal is to take out the opposing team's base. This is, of course, easier said than done, as you'll be able to collect items that upgrade your team's base up to five times. The upgrades start off being low key, but they ramp up to extremely useful. Your first upgrade bumps up your radar to show enemies. The second spawns extra weapons. The third activates turrets in the corridors leading to your base. The fourth activates mine launchers. The final upgrade strengthens the core of your base, making it invulnerable to attack and forcing would-be destroyers to take out nearby rods before they're able to focus on the core.

Information is from this interview

JAEF on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Looks good. I've been itching to play R2 again after being disappointed with KZ2.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Disapointed in KZ2? Impossible. :P
    But yeah these changes sound very cool I'd love to get back into R2 I just wish I had more time.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, after a night of playing superhuman co-op, it turns out it's fucking brilliant =D

Everyone who isn't a soldier pretty much gets one-shotted, so it forces teamwork, and the removal of the 30-second resurrect makes it a terrible idea to run off on your own.

I found a few guys with mics and had an absolute blast, it's actually fun rocking a fully geared level 30 character now, rather than just grinding enemies down to a paste with your invincible flaccid e-wang.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does EBgames think it's funny? What's up with this faux clever description for Resistance PSP? I remember they did something stupid for Chrono Trigger too, but this is getting really dumb.

Description:
    Resistance: Retribution
    On the heels of a tragedy, James Grayson, a former British Marine, takes it upon himself to personally destroy every conversion center in his path. We're willing to bet that, like Stallone in "Over the Top", he comes out victorious with little to no arm wrestling involved. But there's always an outside chance that it could happen, you never know.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Resistance Retribution is actually a really great game. The voice acting is a bit spotty (but that seems to be part of being a Resistance game). It actually does a really good job of explaining a few things. I'll spoiler what it explains, so read at your own risk - some of it involves the story, some of it is just done to explain stuff that inexplicably happened in R2.
    Where the Chimera got those space ships, why we don't see Menials and Greyjacks in R2, why they developed such a large amount of drones, why they don't use conversion centers anymore and instead use spinners to hot cook people in cocoons, what the Cloven are, look like and how they survive (you fight them as well), how the Chimera deal with the fact that there just isn't an unlimited supply of humans on the planet, and more.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry for the post on a necro-thread, but is the PA clan thing still going on? I realize I'm late to the party, but I'd like to join if it's still going on. Let me know. My PSN name is phekno.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I doubt there is much clan activity I'm afaid.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rise from the etc.

So I just got this today. How different is it from R1? My friend and I got pretty far in the game until we gave up. The checkpoint system was a little fucking ridiculous. We got to a part where you had to kill two mechs, then a spider... And by the time the spider showed up we were basically dead.

Then Ooopppss restart the level! That happened far too often to be fun.

So is this game a little easier, and/or the checkpoints a little closer together?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I just got this today. How different is it from R1? My friend and I got pretty far in the game until we gave up. The checkpoint system was a little fucking ridiculous. We got to a part where you had to kill two mechs, then a spider... And by the time the spider showed up we were basically dead.

Is that from R1, the bit where you are defending a bridge head? If it is, that part is ridiculously easy, but it requires doing something that isn't well documented. Grab a rocket launcher, fire it into the air and immediately park it there with secondary fire, then aim at a Stalker and hold primary fire, and the parked rocket fires a salvo of mini missiles. One rocket used like this will kill a Stalker easily, without even needing to hit the core on the back. The Widowmaker takes a couple of rockets used like this. Really, the game gets a lot harder than that mission.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How much more was there after that? Because holy shit the game would not end. Each time we got to a new area I was like "okay, this has to be the end" but it wasn't. I swear the game never ends.

I'd read about how to do that, but I didn't know that it parked itself. I thought it was more of a "explode rocket into a bunch of smaller rockets to get a nice splash effect". I'll have to try it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I liked that about Resistance. It's the energiser bunny of games. It just keeps going and going. I think that part is about 3/4 of the way through, but it might be further than that. They really should have explained how to use the rocket secondary better, because it makes fighting the big enemies a lot more manageable. There's a few big fights before that that would have been so much simpler if I had known how the LAARK worked.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Rise from the etc.

Then Ooopppss restart the level! That happened far too often to be fun.

So is this game a little easier, and/or the checkpoints a little closer together?
    Co-op is meant for a minimum of 3 people and is a separate mission-based deal from the single player, so play that online. Otherwise it's a fine sequel to the original.

JAEF on
  • Options
    KanikKanik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn Resistance 2, damn it to hell!

I sold it after getting Killzone 2, thought I only needed one FPS and that Killzone was the answer.

2 weeks later and I wake up having an incredible urge to play co-op. I thought it was only a phase but after 5 days I finally caved in a repurchased the game. Oh, how I love it so much more than Killzone. Been playing co-op nonstop now. Superhuman is such a great addition, the equivalent of end-game raiding in WoW.

I have a feeling Resistance Retribution brainwashed me into getting it though. That game also deserves some kind of award for best shooter on the PSP.

Kanik on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I liked that about Resistance. It's the energiser bunny of games. It just keeps going and going. I think that part is about 3/4 of the way through, but it might be further than that. They really should have explained how to use the rocket secondary better, because it makes fighting the big enemies a lot more manageable. There's a few big fights before that that would have been so much simpler if I had known how the LAARK worked.

I just finished the game last week. I had no idea the LAARK worked that way.

But you're totally right. That game never ends. I'd always think I had to be close to the end, only to find out that I wasn't.

Tons of fun, though. And I thought I didn't like FPSs. Now on to Resistance 2, just as soon as I'm finished with Uncharted.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    But you're totally right. That game never ends. I'd always think I had to be close to the end, only to find out that I wasn't.

Hah, yeah me too. I don't know how many times I'd say to myself I'll just stay up another hour and finish the game.... hooboy was I wrong. (Lost a lot of sleep to R1)

I didn't like R1 at first, kinda forced myself to play the first few battles, but it grew on me more and more. (Now R2 I liked right from the start.)

greeble on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    phekno wrote: »

Hah, yeah me too. I don't know how many times I'd say to myself I'll just stay up another hour and finish the game.... hooboy was I wrong. (Lost a lot of sleep to R1)

I didn't like R1 at first, kinda forced myself to play the first few battles, but it grew on me more and more. (Now R2 I liked right from the start.)

This was exactly what me and my friend were saying. I think we were even saying it from the halfway point, too. We'd be like "yeah, this is coming to an end, so let's play an hour more." Hour later we'd still be playing looking at each other wondering. After a few times of that we looked it up and behold we were STILL only 3/4 of the way through. We pulled a really late night then to finally finish it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg