As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movin' on up! to the new Fallout thread.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Question concerning little lamplight
    so how is this place still in existence when upon reaching a certain age they're kicked out of town? ie. no pro-creating. The only thing that I can think of is orphans somehow hear of this place and make a trek for it. Or the "out casted" have children and then in turn send them there?
    christ I sound like a NMA'er

Someone put forward a very good idea on this, can't remember his name but I loved his view of it. I shall put it a lot less elequently than the man himself put it, however.
    All the adults in Big Town come form Little Lamplight and there's no kids in Big Town. Now all the adults in Big Town who live they're pretty crappy lives (Super Mutants and Slavers always knocking at the door) absolutely despise Little Lamplight for kicking them out but when they have a kid they realise that the safets place for them is not Big Town but actually Little Lamplight so they send them off to be safe for 16 years(although I'm sure they said 18 in LL but 16 in BT) knowing that they are condeming them to eventually being outcast by all their friends and such like. Sadness all round.

Plus they can't really stay in LL because those kids have guns and they can hardly go in and have gunfights with their little 12 year old children/nieces/nephews and such like to actually have a full-time safe place to live.

I have no idea how the place started though.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One question, how do I get to Galaxy news radio?
    I went through the Tepid sewers and found my way through Georgetown. Got raped by mutants a lot but the ammo perk is helping me a lot. I ended up in some square where one hit me with some sort of high yield missile launcher. Instant death and I'm not going back there!

Right now, I'm running through the Vault tec headquarters. Am I (at least) heading in the right direction?

This game is so much fun. I've played for about 20 hours and it feels like I've done nothing.

Rotam on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Thanks, ToyD. I thought VATS was all kinds of powerful before...But now!

(Yes, I shall hang my head in shame)
    Indeed, now you can do very little damage with a combat shotgun to the face several times in a row!

I kid.

Sort of.

Anyhoo, so I posted yesterday about Dogmeat's little "spontaneous adventure", where he just showed up out of the blue in some sewers during one of my quests. He gets killed, I reload, blarg. Finally got him back to the house in megaton, told him to stay, everything's cool, right?

Welp, yesterday I come back to the house after a long day of evil-thwarting and pillaging, and guess who's gone? Yep, no Dogmeat anywhere, but here's the weird part:

the chair that he was standing near when I left him last? Completely covered in blood.

Wadsworth didn't seem to know anything about it.

I didn't get any message stating "Dogmeat is dead!" though, so who knows.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you haven't skipped the GNR quest you can set it as your main quest and the world map will show you which metro systems you have to go through to get to it. Once you're out of the last metro station you can follow the marker on your compass quite easily (you only need to turn like 2 corners and go through one bombed out building) to get to GNR.

edit:

The combat shotgun can do like 50 damage...Not to mention the terrible combat shotgun. With 50% extra crit damage...

Combat shotgun is a mainstay of my arsenal along with a 10mm submachine gun, hunting rifle, death claw gauntlet, scoped magnum, missile laucnher, chinese assualt rifle and frag grenades!

In a random news studio I found a guy in the basement. I pilfered a key off of his corpse and got a note telling me to check 'The House!'. I'm assuming he doesn't mean Hugh Laurie but I have no idea which house he means. Anyone know?

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Question concerning little lamplight
    so how is this place still in existence when upon reaching a certain age they're kicked out of town? ie. no pro-creating. The only thing that I can think of is orphans somehow hear of this place and make a trek for it. Or the "out casted" have children and then in turn send them there?
    christ I sound like a NMA'er

Someone put forward a very good idea on this, can't remember his name but I loved his view of it. I shall put it a lot less elequently than the man himself put it, however.
    All the adults in Big Town come form Little Lamplight and there's no kids in Big Town. Now all the adults in Big Town who live they're pretty crappy lives (Super Mutants and Slavers always knocking at the door) absolutely despise Little Lamplight for kicking them out but when they have a kid they realise that the safets place for them is not Big Town but actually Little Lamplight so they send them off to be safe for 16 years(although I'm sure they said 18 in LL but 16 in BT) knowing that they are condeming them to eventually being outcast by all their friends and such like. Sadness all round.

Plus they can't really stay in LL because those kids have guns and they can hardly go in and have gunfights with their little 12 year old children/nieces/nephews and such like to actually have a full-time safe place to live.

I have no idea how the place started though.
    that I can help you with. There's a few audio tapes laying around and what apperently happened was that when the bombs fell some families took shelter in the caverns. After some time the adults decided that they needed to restock their supplies and headed out into the wasteland never to return again. Another factor as to why the community hates/mistrust adults is that the kids stumbled upon the vault and all their pounding on the door and pleading was for naught. One vault dweller even went so far as to yell to them "you're already dead" But yeah that's kind of what I rationalised in my own head about the residents of Big town sending their kids there.
    And I laughed Buttcleft at what you said. Those guys really are scary. Talking about Betheseda being the anti-christ and such.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you haven't skipped the GNR quest you can set it as your main quest and the world map will show you which metro systems you have to go through to get to it. Once you're out of the last metro station you can follow the marker on your compass quite easily (you only need to turn like 2 corners and go through one bombed out building).

Ah, I've been through a few metro systems already. I'm not to sure if I put it as my main quest though, so thanks for the help.

Man, this game made me kinda sad. I found this guy in bad need of water in the trainyard, I gave him some and he said thanks.

Fast forward about 5 hours and I find his dead body near Arefu. What the hell.

Rotam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Downtown DC is really annoying to navigate. I find the metro systems without a quest map infuriating and traveling above ground is nigh on impossible due to invisible walls and giant stacks of rubble you someone can't climb since the angle is 45 degrees. Can't even jump from it either.

I stay well clear of there which is a shame as a lot of good 'dungeons' are in that area.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Temple of the Union stuff
    After killing all the slavers hanging around the Lincoln Memorial, I hoofed it back to the Temple to report the good news to Caleb and the guy that runs the show. Gave Caleb the Lincoln Memorial poster, and with that, the Temple of the Union folks made their way to the Memorial, claiming they'd meet me there within the hour. I went off to do some other stuff, fast traveled, and they were no where to be found.

I'd saved just before fighting all the slavers, so I reloaded and instead hit up the Temple first, where the gang said they'd join me in a fire fight against the slavers. Again, I made my way to the Memorial, but they were a total no show. Couldn't even find bodies.

The hell? Did they all get mutilated in the wastes or something? Next time I'm going to follow them all the way there!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After killing all the slavers hanging around the Lincoln Memorial, I hoofed it back to the Temple to report the good news to Caleb and the guy that runs the show. Gave Caleb the Lincoln Memorial poster, and with that, the Temple of the Union folks made their way to the Memorial, claiming they'd meet me there within the hour. I went off to do some other stuff, fast traveled, and they were no where to be found.

I'd saved just before fighting all the slavers, so I reloaded and instead hit up the Temple first, where the gang said they'd join me in a fire fight against the slavers. Again, I made my way to the Memorial, but they were a total no show. Couldn't even find bodies.

The hell? Did they all get mutilated in the wastes or something? Next time I'm going to follow them all the way there!
    I'm curious as well. This is the one last loose end I need to tie up before finishing the game. Did they get ambushed and killed or something?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Downtown DC is really annoying to navigate. I find the metro systems without a quest map infuriating and traveling above ground is nigh on impossible due to invisible walls and giant stacks of rubble you someone can't climb since the angle is 45 degrees. Can't even jump from it either.

I stay well clear of there which is a shame as a lot of good 'dungeons' are in that area.
    Agreed. As much fun as the rest of the world is to navigate, the DC area is the exact opposite. Having to go through a subway terminal for every major area you want to visit, and having 1-4 entrances per subway terminal and not having any idea which of them to take, is really just horrible design. One of the greatest things about Morrowind (and Oblivion, though to a somewhat lesser extent) was that, if you really wanted to, you could travel from the starting area to the end zone - there were no 'impassable obstacles' to speak of. If you could see it, you could get to it. It just bothers me that in a game (and a genre, really) that promotes "go anywhere, do anything" gameplay, you're so often thwarted by a pile of rubble.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

He said they'd be LEAVING within the hour. They don't fast travel, so they can take something like a full day to get there. Do something else for a while and come back later, they'll be there.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It takes them a good while to get to the metro closest to the memorial. I was following the marker around and they simply weren't there. Leave it for a couple of in game days and they should be where the marker points you to (the metro that you can see the memorial from).

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited November 2008

He said they'd be LEAVING within the hour. They don't fast travel, so they can take something like a full day to get there. Do something else for a while and come back later, they'll be there.
    I've had several full days pass in-game. Still nowhere to be found.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Note they aren't actually at the memorial. They're by the lake nearby, it assumes you haven't rid the monument of slavers yet.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I cannot for the life of me find the Lincoln Memorial poster. Where is it?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    Museum of History
    Second Floor
    On the wall behind a desk.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

It's out in the open so you will miss it, its over a desk at the top of a flight of stairs, its just a yellow poster on the wall, you'll think its just part of the decor.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

It takes them a good while to get to the metro closest to the memorial. I was following the marker around and they simply weren't there. Leave it for a couple of in game days and they should be where the marker points you to (the metro that you can see the memorial from).

Yeah, you're right. My mistake. In my defense though, I'm pretty sure 2-3 in-game days have passed since I completed that quest and they're still not there.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did anyone else think that the wasteland didn't feel like 200 years had passed since the war?

If nobody had said "the war was 200 years ago" then I would have assumed it had been maybe thirty or fourty, tops.

Enclave-related endgame spoilers to follow:
    When I first heard President Eden talk about his childhood with his dog Honey and how it was so good and the children of the wasteland are missing out, I immediately called bullshit. At this point I didn't know what he wasn't human, so assuming that he was I figured he was maybe 50 or 60 years old.

Which would have had him growing up in exactly the same kind of world that the children of the wasteland are growing up in. Things couldn't have been nice or perfect.

Not that that's a plot hole or anything, y'know, cause I just figured it was all propaganda. Still, you'd have think someone in the wasteland listening to Enclave radio would have cottoned on.

On the other hand, I fucking loved John Henry Eden, I thought he was great and that MacDowell did a way better job than Neeson.

W2 on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I came across a strange random encounter yesterday. I was wandering around and saw the telltale signs of an enclave camp. I wander up only to find a wounded giant scorpion surrounded by dead enclave and raiders. This by itself isn't strange but after finishing it off I go to loot the corpses only to find two of the raiders wearing raider armor with an enclave helmet and one of the enclave wearing enclave armor with a raider mask. I wish I'd taken a screenshot.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I came across a strange random encounter yesterday. I was wandering around and saw the telltale signs of an enclave camp. I wander up only to find a wounded giant scorpion surrounded by dead enclave and raiders. This by itself isn't strange but after finishing it off I go to loot the corpses only to find two of the raiders wearing raider armor with an enclave helmet and one of the enclave wearing enclave armor with a raider mask. I wish I'd taken a screenshot.

They were having a dress-up party and a scorpion surprised them.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hmm. I wonder how many random raider groups are really Enclave operatives.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, you're right. My mistake. In my defense though, I'm pretty sure 2-3 in-game days have passed since I completed that quest and they're still not there.
    i thought that you needed to wait at least an hour before you fast travelled away to trigger them to leave

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    tyrannus wrote: »

i thought that you needed to wait at least an hour before you fast travelled away to trigger them to leave

Maybe... they seemed to be leaving as soon as I talked to them. I've gone back to the Temple a few times and it's deserted. I'm pretty sure the quest completed as well. Maybe I can still track them down, though. I'll check it out tonight.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    tyrannus wrote: »

As soon as I told them it was clear they were all sprinting down the stairs and out into the wastes. I jumped to follow them and they were gone. I then looted their rooms. ;)

OptimusZed on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Japan is getting a wimpified version of Fallout 3.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/fallout-3-censored-japan
    Blood content will undergo moderation, according to Bethesda (translated press release), and the game's 'Power of the Atom' side-quest will no longer feature the option to detonate a nuclear bomb. The name of a weapon has also changed as it was deemed "inappropriate" for the country.
    Come on, Japan needs a game that teaches the joy of nukes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Blood content will undergo moderation, according to Bethesda (translated press release), and the game's 'Power of the Atom' side-quest will no longer feature the option to detonate a nuclear bomb. The name of a weapon has also changed as it was deemed "inappropriate" for the country.

I find it funny that they have no problem with various world war II games, where they play as Americans slaughtering the Japanese in historically acurate photorealism.

But detonating a fake bomb, in a fake town, in an alternate reality game thats 200 years in the future, is somehow bad.

I think that, perhaps, the tentacle rape has damaged their brains.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, on my second playthrough I figured I'd do some sightseeing. After you get to Megaton and are sent on the errand for Moriarty, I looked around the town. Found 10 Bobbypins in the rubble of the buildings. Then, I decided to go to the school.
    Hey look, Nuka-Cola Quantum. Hey look, Raiders. What's this down here? Ants? Let me whack them. What's this over here? Bodies? Assault rifle? A Skill Book? OMG, what the fuck is that sound? WTF?

I backpedaled so fast to get away from the dozen ants that jumped me that I was almost out of the area before my second grenade killed them.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I find it funny that they have no problem with various world war II games, where they play as Americans slaughtering the Japanese in historically acurate photorealism.

But detonating a fake bomb, in a fake town, in an alternate reality game thats 200 years in the future, is somehow bad.

Try selling a game in the US that involves crashing a plane into an office tower. Then get back to us.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll share a story of a random encounter yesterday. It was my first with some Brotherhood Outcasts. I was thinking their armor was MIGHTY neat looking, but I didn't want to go hostile to the brotherhood, so I didn't attack them despite my being evil. But, they happened to be travelling the same road as myself and lucky the caravan guy toward Vault 106.

We come upon a tiny bed and breakfast that's been destroyed, but it's been overrun with raiders. I hang back and watch lucky and the outcasts deal with the raiders fairly swiftly. I'm thinking, darn, those brotherhood are good, but, free raider loot. So I start gathering the raider loot when I hear more fighting. Suddenly, under a nearby bridge, I notice 3 enclave soldiers now attacking the outcasts and lucky. After all is said and done, I have 3 new sets of enclave armor and weapons, two new outcast brotherhood suits, and the key to lucky's stash. Now I just need to find his cow to get his stash!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Try selling a game in the US that involves crashing a plane into an office tower. Then get back to us.

Yeah, this is probably more about interest groups and threats than about actual gamers saying "I won't play it!"

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

didn't Microsoft do that already?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

didn't Microsoft do that already?
    They took out the ability to make cool crashes in that flight sim after 9/11, didn't they?

Couscous on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    they did

MrDelish on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I just came across Dogmeat. Left him in my house though, it's annoying having him alert enemies when I'm trying to be stealthy. Sometimes it would work out though, because they'd focus on him and I would remain hidden.

Finally built the Shishkabab. So awesome. Fucking critical'd a dude and watched his flaming head soar away from his body in slow motion.

You may want to reconsider leaving dogmeat in your house. He went missing when I tried that. :|

Yall on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yall wrote: »
    Yeah I just came across Dogmeat. Left him in my house though, it's annoying having him alert enemies when I'm trying to be stealthy. Sometimes it would work out though, because they'd focus on him and I would remain hidden.

Finally built the Shishkabab. So awesome. Fucking critical'd a dude and watched his flaming head soar away from his body in slow motion.

You may want to reconsider leaving dogmeat in your house. He went missing when I tried that. :|

Flaming Sword is bad around friendly's. I whacked Fawkes with it by accident and he went ape shit on me.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I've had him at my house for almost a week now IRL and after a while I got a message saying he was waiting at Vault 101. That's the worst that's happened so far.

I learned this in FO2 and re-learned it again here...save often. Really often. Like constantly.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I do it quite often in San Andreas.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

Flaming Sword is bad around friendly's. I whacked Fawkes with it by accident and he went ape shit on me.

Really? I nuked Fawkes, and he just started blasting all the megaton settlers who aggroed me because of the mini-nuke damage. Didn't mind one bit.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I've seen raiders run over and grab Supermutant Miniguns in desperation, so it's not impossible that they killed the Enclave guys and looted them...

KiTA on