Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Of Orcs and Dwarves *Updated*

F87F87 So Say We AllRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Artist's Corner
Consolidating some things, really would appreciate critique.

dwarves_final.jpg

orcs222.jpg

...and a wip of elves:

elves.jpg

Also, whilst I have your attention,

Anyone have any tips on getting a consistent flow of commissions? I'm trying to survive as a freelancer to push me as an artist, and it's very difficult to find work. I'm basically limited to the interwebs as I live in OK.

Thanks!

F87 on

• MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    These are cool.
    Legs on the top male dwarf seem too far apart, like the base of his crotch is as wide as his head.
    Length of the arms is a bit short on the bottom female elf.

• SublimusSublimus AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey frank!

I think your female characters are too human and not enough of their respected 'race' be it orc or drawf. At least in the traditional sense, it is not unheard of for women of either race to have facial hair, and huge muscles too. You may be trying to stray away from this, and if that is the case I think you have strayed a bit too far back to human.

For your paint application, I have huge complaints. but i think you may want to take some areas of interest to a higher level of completion, like the face or hands.

In terms of getting work, it very much depends on what kind of work you are looking to do.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MufasaJoe - Thanks. I did not notice the hips/legs on the dwarf. Damn. The arms of the elf will be an easy fix though.

Sublimus - You are completely right. This was quite a challenge for me. I wanted to keep some feminine features but I didn't represent the race well enough. Yeah, I should render and detail certain areas more, thanks for the input!

About the work I'm looking to do: I was wondering the most effective ways of getting commissions. The only place I know where to find work now is at conceptart.

• SublimusSublimus AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you still get protips from Idiot Apathy over there? He could probably help you answer better than me or others on this board (no offense to the pros here implied).

• MagicToasterMagicToaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You remind me of a guy called NinjaFrank.

tostadas.png
  • falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's the second hotest half-orc chick I've ever seen. What's her measurements?

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Magical Toast: I use to go by such a name. No more, though.
    Subliminous : No, I don't, he is a very busy man.
    Falcon for hire: 16'x16'x15'

elvesss.jpg
    Spoiler:

• MagicToasterMagicToaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aha! I knew it was you!!! I'd recognize your style anywhere!

tostadas.png