Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Thinking about buying a PS3...

Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm guessing this comes up a lot, but here goes anyway...

Basically is now a good time to buy one? I'm guessing there won't be a price drop any time soon, but are there any places that might have deals?

I of course would like one of the older models with the good backwards compatibility and card reader and stuff, but I don't think it's that huge of a deal breaker for me.

I'm mostly wanting a PS3 now because of LBP, is there any chance that bundle is coming to the US ever?

Bouncing_Soul on
Umlauf.gif
Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
«1

Posts

  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I'm assuming you're from the states - if so, Black Friday is just around the corner. I'd say wait out the next three weeks and try to score yourself a deal.

    steam_sig.png
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    However, if you ever happen upon a used/refurb 60 gig, buy that shit right away. 60 gigs have hardware BC and all the card readers, usb ports and such.

  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I own both a PS3 and 360.
    I bought LBP with full knowledge that I wouldn't play it for at least a month (obsessed with FO3 right now) just so I'd have justification for owning one.
    This is testament for how much I use my PS3.
    Although, I'm really excited for Valkyria Chronicles so w/e. If you really like post-apocalyptic FPS's or an MGS fan or are going to play a shitton of LBP, go for it. Anything else, stay with 360.

  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    I own both a PS3 and 360.
    I bought LBP with full knowledge that I wouldn't play it for at least a month (obsessed with FO3 right now) just so I'd have justification for owning one.
    This is testament for how much I use my PS3.
    Although, I'm really excited for Valkyria Chronicles so w/e. If you really like post-apocalyptic FPS's or an MGS fan or are going to play a shitton of LBP, go for it. Anything else, stay with 360.

    well that depends if he already has a 360, because if not, a ps3 will play pretty much all the big hits too, with a fair share of its own rad exclusives

    basically you're not going to save any money by waiting if you want backwards compatibility. soon the recent b/c 80gb models will be as scarce as the 60gbs, and you'll be paying through the nose anyway. basically, if bc is important to you, act now

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Somewhere I read that Walmart is/will/did offer $100 gift card with a PS3 purchase. Not sure if it was coming up , going on or over though.

  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a 360 and a PS3. The PS3 is a great Blu-ray and DVD player for me right now, and MGS4 is awesome. If you believe what they say, the PS3 is supposed to have a 10 year life cycle, so it's quite possible that some really sweet games may eventually come out for it. At the moment, however, all the games I care about besides MGS4 are either multiplatform, or 360 exclusive. And if the PS3 really has superior hardware, the games don't show it yet--games look just as good on the 360.

  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Well, I do have a 360 that I've been very happy with. As I said I'm very interested in LBP, and I would also probably get Uncharted and maybe Warhawk. I'm not much of an MGS fan, but I would guess there are other good games coming out in the future.

    I bought a 360 pretty much for Dead Rising, and now there's a ton of good stuff available.

    I'm just wondering if i'd be missing out on a deal or update or something that's coming out in the near future if I bought a PS3 relatively soon. I'm not a fan of going out on Black Friday, I wouldn't be against on online thing of course.

    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd wait a bit. You don't necessarily have to shop ON Black Friday, but that's when all the last big price drops happen for major products.

    PSN: allenquid
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    again, there's no current model with backwards compatibility and there won't be for the forseeable future, so you're unlikely to find great retail deals if you want to be able to play ps2 games. unless you luck out and find an old mgs4 or motorstorm bundle

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If it's just money burning a hole in your pocket, then wait until you're truly compelled by games. I only own a PS3, so you know, so I'm not saying this as a fanboy of a system. I enjoy it for what's on there (as Valkyria Chronicles just came out, which I'm enjoying greatly), and my wife is downstairs right now playing LittleBigPlanet. But your question is "I think I might want one but I'm not sure."

    In those situations, always wait. Wait until YOU are sure. Those games aren't going anywhere. Do you honestly think you can't get LBP next year? That the player levels will all disappear in 2009? Or that Uncharted won't be easy to find?

    I'm happy with the system, even w/o backwards compatibility, but if you're not sure about a purchase, don't make it. That goes for everything, man ;D

    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    However, if you ever happen upon a used/refurb 60 gig, buy that shit right away. 60 gigs have hardware BC and all the card readers, usb ports and such.

    highly second this advice.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Research the compatibility of the PS3 with your TV first...

    I have a westinghouse TV and it doesn't agree with the PS3 resulting in sound drops and picture blackouts... the problem isn't that bad (only happens a couple of times a day) but it's still annoying considering i paid close to $2K for both pieces of equipment... and both companies are blaming eachother, so i'm SOL as far as a fix is concerned unless i want to downgrade my image to 1080i via a component cable

    That said, LBP is awesome...

  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wootloops wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're from the states - if so, Black Friday is just around the corner. I'd say wait out the next three weeks and try to score yourself a deal.

    This. The Wal-mart deal where you got a $100 gift card is over with (I think) but there will be other sales coming up in the next 6 weeks where you can get more for your money than if you splurge now.

    I'm in the same boat as you, I am looking for a PS3 for my nephew, but want to get the best deal possible.

    Spoiler:
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm guessing this comes up a lot, but here goes anyway...

    Basically is now a good time to buy one? I'm guessing there won't be a price drop any time soon, but are there any places that might have deals?

    I of course would like one of the older models with the good backwards compatibility and card reader and stuff, but I don't think it's that huge of a deal breaker for me.

    I'm mostly wanting a PS3 now because of LBP, is there any chance that bundle is coming to the US ever?

    Microsoft live search allows you to get 25% off buy it now auctions.

    I got a 40 gb ps3 for 230 dollars.

    There's lots of games that are awesome. As the owner of all three consoles and a pretty damn good PC, I can say that most of my xbox games could have easily been owned for my PC and that I have (SUBJECTIVE OPINION) enjoyed my ps3 more than my x360 if I don't look at the arcade games.

    Xbox live arcade is awesome though. Lots of quality there.

    sig.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    I own both a PS3 and 360.
    I bought LBP with full knowledge that I wouldn't play it for at least a month (obsessed with FO3 right now) just so I'd have justification for owning one.
    This is testament for how much I use my PS3.
    Although, I'm really excited for Valkyria Chronicles so w/e. If you really like post-apocalyptic FPS's or an MGS fan or are going to play a shitton of LBP, go for it. Anything else, stay with 360.

    well that depends if he already has a 360, because if not, a ps3 will play pretty much all the big hits too, with a fair share of its own rad exclusives

    basically you're not going to save any money by waiting if you want backwards compatibility. soon the recent b/c 80gb models will be as scarce as the 60gbs, and you'll be paying through the nose anyway. basically, if bc is important to you, act now
    I assumed from his sig, what with achievement point scores, that he owned a 360.
    Edit: After playing LBP, I have to say I greatly enjoy buying my PS3 now, probably the first time I've ever said that about my PS3. But, on the other hand holy shit is PSN shitty. I mean, fuck, why isn't private voice chat just integrated from the home key instead of dependent on the game? WTF?

  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    I own both a PS3 and 360.
    I bought LBP with full knowledge that I wouldn't play it for at least a month (obsessed with FO3 right now) just so I'd have justification for owning one.
    This is testament for how much I use my PS3.
    Although, I'm really excited for Valkyria Chronicles so w/e. If you really like post-apocalyptic FPS's or an MGS fan or are going to play a shitton of LBP, go for it. Anything else, stay with 360.

    well that depends if he already has a 360, because if not, a ps3 will play pretty much all the big hits too, with a fair share of its own rad exclusives

    basically you're not going to save any money by waiting if you want backwards compatibility. soon the recent b/c 80gb models will be as scarce as the 60gbs, and you'll be paying through the nose anyway. basically, if bc is important to you, act now
    I assumed from his sig, what with achievement point scores, that he owned a 360.
    Edit: After playing LBP, I have to say I greatly enjoy buying my PS3 now, probably the first time I've ever said that about my PS3. But, on the other hand holy shit is PSN shitty. I mean, fuck, why isn't private voice chat just integrated from the home key instead of dependent on the game? WTF?

    Have you tried Uncharted? That was the moment I fully realized that PS3 exclusives can be good.

  • DistramDistram __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008
    PS3 is not really worth it unless you're diehard for their exclusive titles.

    BluRay won't be around long anyhow since, by the time it becomes affordable, everyone will be going digital distribution anyway. Optical media is dead, long live digital.

  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Distram wrote: »
    PS3 is not really worth it unless you're diehard for their exclusive titles.

    BluRay won't be around long anyhow since, by the time it becomes affordable, everyone will be going digital distribution anyway. Optical media is dead, long live digital.

    I'm going to have to disagree, but his isn't D&D so I'll be brief. Digital Distribution is still a long way off due to public perception and no easy way to introduce it across all platforms. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen. I agree that physical media should be long gone, but it's going to be a number of years before digital distribution is the standard.

    That being said, if you just want a BluRay player, you can get cheaper ones.

    For me LBP pushed me over the edge. I didn't want to buy a PS3 at first because of BluRay and no large drawing force towards either the 360 or PS3. When BluRay 'won' the Hi-Def content war, the PS3 got a bump up in my mind, but both platforms had the titles I wanted, so I still wasn't forced one way or the other. I saw the trailers and demonstration videos of LBP and was really impressed. I still waited for the game and played quite a bit before deciding that I really really like it, and it made the PS3 worth it.

    I can see someone having the exact same story about the 360.

    All that being said, all the info the OP needs has been said again and again. Black Friday will be your best bet at a deal, if you can find an "old" PS3 with BC buy it. I couldn't find one that had a warranty I was happy with so I got a current one. I keep my PS2 stuck under the TV and still use it occasionally.

    LBP is a fantastic game, but don't feel forced into buying right away. The prices are only going to go down.

    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can get cheaper blu-ray players, but let me tell you that the PS3 is the best one out there. From the ease of updating (you're probably gonna have your ps3 connected to the internet no matter what), to faster load times for discs compared to other players, it is just plain solid. The remote is long overdue as well...since it's bluetooth you can finally just press a button without having to worry if you're in the line of sight of your system. Additionally, the PS3 store is AWESOME. I've bought a bunch of games from there and loved them. I just wrapped up Eden. You don't get Gears of War, Halo, or Fable II, but those were acceptable losses for me.

    The one thing that's being neglected here: the 360 has reliability issues. This isn't a fanboy debate, there is no justifiable point of view here. The 360 has had many more problems as compared to the PS3. Supposedly they're all resolved. But after hearing about these issues and dealing with constant freezing problems on my friend's 360 as I played through Bioshock, the PS3 was an easy sell.

    As far as the deals everyone's talking about, wait if you want, and I can't predict the future, but I'm pretty sure anyone expecting a price drop on Black Friday is living in a fantasy world. I can't recall video game systems being price-dropped in the past few years on Black Friday, and from what I hear the PS3 is finally starting to outsell the 360. It was about two months ago that a Sony exec came out and said given the increasing sales they have absolutely no incentive to drop price on the PS3...it is selling itself. You MIGHT see some individual game price drops, but I wouldn't expect much substantial.

    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't expect a Black Friday price drop, but I would expect various retailers making an incentive bundle to get people into the store (or online) for the weekend. ie: a PS3, a Game, and a second controller for the price of the system. Even if the game is shit you've saved money on a much needed additional controller. If you're going to order it online anyway, do it when you've got the best chance of getting a deal. Fighting the crowds online is very manageable when you can do it in a bathrobe with a cup of coffee on your desk.

    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i bought my PS3 specifically for LBP. To me, little big planet cost $610.
    Spoiler:

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

    Basically is now a good time to buy one? I'm guessing there won't be a price drop any time soon, but are there any places that might have deals?

    Wait, you do know there's a cracking great recession going on worldwide?

    I've seen the Dell XPS M1730 drop by £300 plus free upgrades from a 400gig hdd to a 640 gig hdd and upgrade to Blu-ray drives etc. all in the last month or two.

    Companies are hurting right now and I'm sure that by January prices will be even lower what with Christmas being over and them having stock left over.

    Actually right now here in Spain, you can get a PS3 with a 160gig hdd for 400 euros, and I'm pretty sure there may even be another controller and game thrown in.

    So try and give it a few weeks, you'll probably see a drop.

    Unlucky wrote: »
    So, after having read all of his stuff, Pony's officially my hero now. I wish I could be that callous towards humanity.
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your Dell laptop is more likely dropping in price due to Dell needing to clear their inventories of Core 2 Duos to make way for the core i7 Nehalem stuff coming out. Console systems have historically NOT shown the fluctuation in price you are describing. Add to that the facts that PS3 just had another huge week in sales, it is consistently outselling the Xbox 360, and there have been multiple statements by Sony that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest a price drop is necessary.

    To the OP, I haven't heard of any LBP bundles for the US. If you want to try to snag some deals on bundles Black Friday may help you, but otherwise just get it when you have the cash for it. Note that right now Best Buy is running a deal where if you buy two blu-rays for $20 each from this selection they have, you can get a free PS3 blu-ray remote...a must-have if you plan on watching movies on it.

    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bouncing_Soul, I can see by your gamer card sig you have an XBox 360.

    A lot of the major titles coming out will be released cross-platform, so you can't use those for reasons for buying a PS3 (unless PS3 online isn't so much as an ass-fest as Live can be sometimes). Look at the exclusive stuff availible.

    My acid test for deciding on wether or not to buy a new console is to name five games I would really like to play that are availible for that system and not easily availible cross-platform. When I picked up my 360, I grabbed Halo 3 and Oblivion, 3200 MSP, and a three-month Live Gold subscription because I wanted to make sure to get everything I wanted at the time.

    You might want to research into the PS3 downloadable content. There might be some good games there you'd want to play, and it could be another reason to buy.

    Long story short- if you can find some games (not just one or two) you want to play on PS3, then think about the console purchase. If you just want to play LBP, consider a rental to take it for a test drive, then decide if the game's worth that much.

    steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cristo wrote: »

    Basically is now a good time to buy one? I'm guessing there won't be a price drop any time soon, but are there any places that might have deals?

    Wait, you do know there's a cracking great recession going on worldwide?

    I've seen the Dell XPS M1730 drop by £300 plus free upgrades from a 400gig hdd to a 640 gig hdd and upgrade to Blu-ray drives etc. all in the last month or two.

    Companies are hurting right now and I'm sure that by January prices will be even lower what with Christmas being over and them having stock left over.

    Actually right now here in Spain, you can get a PS3 with a 160gig hdd for 400 euros, and I'm pretty sure there may even be another controller and game thrown in.

    So try and give it a few weeks, you'll probably see a drop.

    This is usually good advice, BUT the new strategy at Sony (as mandated to the game division by the higher execs) is to make a profit off each PS3 sold by any means necessary, even if it means losing customers. The window of opportunity for a price drop this holiday season is already gone, and I wouldn't be shocked if they wait until well into 2009 to do a price drop. Or they might not do a price drop at all, since Sony has twice revamped the features of the PS3 (adding HD space, removing backwards compatibility) instead of dropping the price.

    So I wouldn't count on an official price drop anytime soon. You might find some in-store bundle deals, though.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If your monitor/TV is not HDCP-compatible, you will not be able to run your PS3 through HDMI.

    You'll still be able to use component and other non-digital formats, or you can bypass it with an HD Fury or similar, but you need to be aware of this.

    Also the standard don't bother with an expensive HDMI cable thing, they're no better, monoprice.com.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    If your monitor/TV is not HDCP-compatible, you will not be able to run your PS3 through HDMI.

    You'll still be able to use component and other non-digital formats, or you can bypass it with an HD Fury or similar, but you need to be aware of this.

    Also the standard don't bother with an expensive HDMI cable thing, they're no better, monoprice.com.

    Tell me my good man, how dose one tell if his/her monitor/TV is not HDCP-compatible?

    Spoiler:
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Box, manual, online documentation for your model. Usually if it's not and you type '[your tv model] ps3' into Google you'll turn up a ton of people complaining about it.

    Now that I think about it though it may only be for movies. I only recently got a PS3 and I run it through component, so my experience doesn't lie in that area. There's a thread called PS3 Questions in G&T that would be a better place for that kind of discussion. We may have already had it.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    However, if you ever happen upon a used/refurb 60 gig, buy that shit right away. 60 gigs have hardware BC and all the card readers, usb ports and such.

    I actually just saw a 60gig PS3 for sale at the PX for $499.........
    I think it was just the system, and no games

    Think its worth it?

  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, would you rather play PS2 games on your PS3 or save yourself a bunch of cash and have another machine in your room (or maybe not, even). That's completely your decision.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Box, manual, online documentation for your model. Usually if it's not and you type '[your tv model] ps3' into Google you'll turn up a ton of people complaining about it.

    Now that I think about it though it may only be for movies. I only recently got a PS3 and I run it through component, so my experience doesn't lie in that area. There's a thread called PS3 Questions in G&T that would be a better place for that kind of discussion. We may have already had it.

    I've tried hooking my PS3 up to a non-HDCP DVI port and unfortunately I can confirm that it doesn't work at all. I guess Sony must be worried about people recording 1080p gameplay footage.

  • ArminasArminas Student of Life Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i bought my PS3 specifically for LBP. To me, little big planet cost $610.

    I REGRET NOTHING.

    I was reading this thread a few days ago and I'd been toying with the idea of a ps3 for quite a while. And I remember hearing that the backwards compatibility had been nerfed so I put the idea out. AND THEN! Someone mentioned the refurbished 60gb. So tonight on whim, I did a search for nearby refurbished ones, and picked up the only 60gb refurb in a 10 mile radius. and got Little Big Planet. I, too, REGRET NOTHING! (It was awesome, I got the console for 450 and lbp for 50, so it was like a ps3 bundle, only someone had got all their fingerprints on it. Well, and then sales tax tore me a new one.)

    However! I was pleasantly surprised by the PS3's media streaming capabilities that every thread I've read/skimmed about purchasing a ps3 has failed to mention. If I had known this before, I would've gotten one a while ago. I know the 360 also does streaming, but I'd only seen one setup at a friend's place that did this and it was buggy as hell. It might have just been his setup, but I was perusing online for some setups and it seems very, very promising.

    I plan on using the PS3 question thread soon to figure out what other things I'll need to pick up. Like accessories and how to set up a media server. Though, google has some promising results which I'll pick through later.

    anyways, I know I wasn't the one that asked the question, but y'all have convinced me. Plus LBP is pretty fucking awesome.
    Spoiler:

  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Now you must get Valkyria Chronicles.
    YOU MUST!

  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    However! I was pleasantly surprised by the PS3's media streaming capabilities that every thread I've read/skimmed about purchasing a ps3 has failed to mention. If I had known this before, I would've gotten one a while ago. I know the 360 also does streaming, but I'd only seen one setup at a friend's place that did this and it was buggy as hell. It might have just been his setup, but I was perusing online for some setups and it seems very, very promising.

    tversity's you're best bet for streaming i reckon - the most recent version supports album art, which is awesome

    but yeah, the ps3's media capabilities need to be mentioned more - all my movies and music are played through it, and it always does a phenomenal job. i've probably got my money's worth from it as a media centre alone

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will say that I actually have one of the B/C 80 gig models, and I haven't had any problem with any of my PS2 games. Of course I haven't played my entire library but I imagine I wouldn't have too many problems. Sony has, on their PS3 website, under the support section I believe, a Backwards Compatibility Status checker. From checking it I found that five games out of three pages in a standard notebook of PS2 games have really bad "Don't even bother" problems. (Three of which are Champions of Norath, Drakan: The Ancient Gates, and Spartan: Total Warrior. I'm..not missing much.) Could it be that the status checker lies? Sure, since I haven't manually checked, but it's been damn nice to me so far and I've played quite a few games on it.

    Anyway, contrary to that, if you can find a 60 gig like people have mentioned, get it if you really want a PS3. If not, an 80 Gig B/C model would certainly not be a bad second choice. (Unless there's something I'm missing out on.)

    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    Now you must get Valkyria Chronicles.
    YOU MUST!

    I've been seeing it in signatures a lot, so i was curious and casually poked around in the thread. I saw the release date and apparently it should already be out in the US?
    This was before actually getting a ps3, so now that I have one, Ill probably consider it more seriously now.
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    Anyway, contrary to that, if you can find a 60 gig like people have mentioned, get it if you really want a PS3. If not, an 80 Gig B/C model would certainly not be a bad second choice. (Unless there's something I'm missing out on.)

    I was wondering something, so I knew that there was a 60 and an 80gb model with BC, but why get the 60gb refurbished, I mean, everyone recommended it and I was determined to have backwards compatibility. Granted I didn't check to see if there were any refurbished 80gb, and I think I'll be okay with the 60gb model, I'm just curious at this point.

    I have other questions, but I should peruse the PS3 questions thread first.

  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The 60GB is hardware-based compatibility whereas the 80GB is software. In layman's terms, the 60GB has a PS2 in it, whereas the 80GB is a PS3 pretending the be a PS2, and the 40GB doesn't even bother to pretend. It also means that the 80GB plays a slightly smaller number of PS2 games, although nothing too noticeable.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Get echochrome, it's fucking awesome.

    Valkyria is next on my list... I just have to kill my backlog before I spend more $ on another game.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just have to kill my backlog before I spend more $ on another game.

    UGH. I want more on the ps3, but I should wait, I have too many things as it is.

  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, imo Valkyria Chronicles is the absolute best game for the PS3. It is better than LBP because the gameplay is so fresh and so easy to use and there isn't the insane micromanaging that other tactical games have.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.