As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Classic Mac games

Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
The only "gaming" system I had growing up was a Macintosh SE. As such, my early video game experiences consisted of Dark Castle (by Silicon Beach Software), Shadowgate and The Uninvited (both by MacVenture), and The Colony (by David Alan Smith at Mindscape).

Are any of these games still available, preferrably in their black-and-white versions? I STILL have nightmares about The Colony; it remains possibly the most difficult game I've ever played, and I feel like I need to beat that sonofabitch before I die. I know there are color versions of Shadowgate and The Uninvited out there, but it feels wrong to play those games in color; the Mac versions were B&W, but that meant greater detail in the graphics.

Brian888 on

• Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haha, I'd imagine you'd need some sort of System7 or System8 software emulation / virtualization for OS X. Not sure if those exist. OS X ditched its built-in Classic mode (OS 9 virtualization) awhile back.

I remember playing a whole lot of Scarab of Ra on my mom's machine when I was a kid.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought there were color versions (of the MacVenture games) on the Mac as well? Not to say that's what you want, just that I think they might have been identical versions with the addition of color:

reaperje4.jpg

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marathon 1-3 come to mind, but other than that I can't think of many Mac only classics.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ESCAPE

VELOCITY

Khavall on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    ESCAPE

VELOCITY

Just what I was going to mention.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SpinjumpSpinjump Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Fool's Errand, motherfuckers!

Which, by the way, has a sequel due out some time soon:
    http://www.thefoolandhismoney.com/

Spinjump on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah DARK CASTLE, there was two versions. Both were side scrollers, one where you had a sling and the view was zoomed out more, and then there was the more awesome side scroller where there was 4 stages and it looked more detailed and played a lot different. It was so much fun, Marathon was another good Mac game. Realmz is awesome to and I had put a lot of hours into that

Dixon on
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Marathon 2:Durandal, Escape Velocity, Mars Rising

Also, there's some emulators for great old games like Monkey Island 2.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shufflepuck Cafe?

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    ESCAPE

VELOCITY

An amazing game. :)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shufflepuck Cafe?

This game was amazing.
    Also: Scarab of Ra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarab_of_Ra

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Manhole. The hypercard stack, not the craigslist ad.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God I loved Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle. Apparently they just released a third Dark Castle game this year called Return to Dark Castle. I'd love to play it, but I don't have a Mac anymore. :(

SteevL on
  • Options
    GaruGaru Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, I remember Manhole and Shufflepuck. I think those two along with MacSki (think that's what it was called...), Lunatic Fringe, and Glider were my first ever computer games. I spent hours wandering around The Manhole. I miss that walrus. He was a swell guy. Interestingly, it seems to be on Gametap if anyone feels like indulging in nostalgia. Glider was really the standout, though. I remember making plenty of levels in that, though none of them turned out very well. I think I just liked shooting down the airplanes with rubber bands. And I never was able to follow the instructions well enough to make a decent real paper glider. Mine always sucked.

Oh, anyone remember Realmz? I think that may have been my first ever RPG and I remember it quite fondly. Dunno if it was actually good or just nostalgia...

Garu on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No mention of Spectre. How disappointing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(computer_game)

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Brian888 wrote: »
    The Colony (by David Alan Smith at Mindscape).

This shit is like the scariest game ever made. And it's more or less the first fps ever made, the first horror ever made, and the first best game ever made.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ESCAPE

VELOCITY

FUCK YES

Also Marathon Infinity. I created the hell out of some levels with that thing.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spinjump wrote: »

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

Especially since whatever year TFaHM drops, it'll be my GOTY.

Also, this thread needs more Spaceward Ho!. Anyone else here a old Outland player? (The online service who's founders ended up going on to create this "Total Entertainment Network" thing you might've heard about.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh man dark castle, ive been wondering what that game was called for years now. i only ever played it at my uncle's house when i was a kid, but i have fond memories of it.

also, it looks like a new sequel to it was randomly released earlier this year that looks pretty cool. anyone played it?

link

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought there were color versions (of the MacVenture games) on the Mac as well? Not to say that's what you want, just that I think they might have been identical versions with the addition of color:

reaperje4.jpg

That looks just like shadowgate.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i do believe that that is in fact shadowgate

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

was there more in that series on the mac? I kinda wished there was besides uninvited and that other one with ace harding.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

was there more in that series on the mac? I kinda wished there was besides uninvited and that other one with ace harding.

Nope. According to Wikipedia, sequels came out on consoles (the TG16 and the N64), but never another computer version.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacVenture

* Deja Vu: a Nightmare Comes True (1985)
    * Uninvited (1986)
    * Shadowgate (1987)
    * Deja Vu II: Lost in Las Vegas (1988)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man. My first computer was a Mac Classic II. We played hell of games on that sucker.

-MacSokoban by Ingemar Ragnemalm
    -Classic Daleks (also by Ingemar) and Daleks II
    -Hexmines
    -Thexder (the Apple II version, we got it working on this mac)
    -Sky Shadow (holy shit, sky shadow):
    skyshadowshow.gif

(fuck yes)

-Space Station Pheta
    -Zork series
    -Some football game by Broderbund

And tons of others that were primarily on the Apple II. Because they're abandonware, you might be able to find downloads of them with some searching. If you have OS X Tiger then you can still use OS 9 in Classic mode, which is something that I need to do because I have a G4 Quicksilver with Tiger 10.4.11, but no OS 9 (you can just install it on the same partition, right?). Emulation on either platform is pretty questionable. You'd need a ROM image for the Mac you were trying to emulate.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Already said a bunch but Marathon series was/is great, and I really liked Bungie's even older game Pathways into Darkness too. Myth 1 and 2 were on windows too, but I think they still count.

I also used to play this submarine sim called U-Boat when I was like 10 or 11 on my dad's ma. There was a sequel called Drumbeat that was good too. Don't know if you can find them at all anymore, but I'd like to play them again for the hell of it.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it was multi-platform, but I used to like a flight sim called F/A-18 Hornet a lot, too. I kinda miss gaming on that old mac...

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Hitting yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse (or something like that). Deja Vu was such a good game, and the Mac version was something like a million times better than any other.

I was going to be all hardcore and name drop Dark Castle but some asshole beat me to it. I do however know where my 2x400k diskette copy of the original game is, so I will extract some triumph from that.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man. My first computer was a Mac Classic II. We played hell of games on that sucker.

-MacSokoban by Ingemar Ragnemalm
    -Classic Daleks (also by Ingemar) and Daleks II
    -Hexmines
    -Thexder (the Apple II version, we got it working on this mac)
    -Sky Shadow (holy shit, sky shadow):
    skyshadowshow.gif

(fuck yes)

-Space Station Pheta
    -Zork series
    -Some football game by Broderbund

And tons of others that were primarily on the Apple II. Because they're abandonware, you might be able to find downloads of them with some searching. If you have OS X Tiger then you can still use OS 9 in Classic mode, which is something that I need to do because I have a G4 Quicksilver with Tiger 10.4.11, but no OS 9 (you can just install it on the same partition, right?). Emulation on either platform is pretty questionable. You'd need a ROM image for the Mac you were trying to emulate.

By running os9 under classic you should be able to run them directly if they are os9 games. The only thing you cant really do in classic is run stuff like midi, as that means the apps share memory stacks, an osx no no. I think there is an apple II emulator for the mac though

pabh on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any love for Glider? I wasted so much time playing that back in the day.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spinjump wrote: »

Fool's Errand for free download? Thank you kind sir

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shufflepuck Cafe and Glider were lots of fun way back when. Curse you, mighty paper shredder!

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Full Throttle and Glider Pro are my options.

Glider Pro was the Little Big Planet of the 90s.

with planes

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    +1 vote for Glider, Spacestation Pheta, and Spectre here.

Also, I'm very disappointed this took until page 2 to get a mention:

Crystal%20Quest.jpg

Crystal Quest flat-out rocked. Enough that I wrote a Java remake of it a while back when I was bored at work. It wasn't the same, though :(

Also, apparently Flashback was available on the Mac as well (found out while searching for the above pic), which I didn't know, but I'll have to vote for it since the Genesis version of it kicked ass.

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if the house builder for glider pro was for OS X I'd make a thread and we could start making crazy basements to keep our illegitimate daughters in, which we have to break into with paper airplanes and elastic bands.

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Any love for Glider? I wasted so much time playing that back in the day.

Stupid cat would always knock me down.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Crystal%20Quest.jpg

Crystal Quest flat-out rocked. Enough that I wrote a Java remake of it a while back when I was bored at work. It wasn't the same, though :(

Also, apparently Flashback was available on the Mac as well (found out while searching for the above pic), which I didn't know, but I'll have to vote for it since the Genesis version of it kicked ass.

Man I came back to this thread specifically to mention Crystal Quest! Excellent game. I guess there's a version of it on XBLA, but I played the demo and it felt like a lackluster dual stick shooter.

My brother and I also loved this roguelike called Dungeon of Doom. I guess the full version was called The Dungeon Revealed, but all we had was the shareware version. Dungeon of Doom sounds much better.

We also played a lot of Sid Meier's Pirates on our Mac.

I loved my Mac Plus. Despite its tiny black and white display, its sound capability blew away all my PC-owning friends at the time. We finally put the poor thing to rest around 1995 and replaced it with a 486. It had lasted us about 8 years.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hejog wrote: »
    if the house builder for glider pro was for OS X I'd make a thread and we could start making crazy basements to keep our illegitimate daughters in, which we have to break into with paper airplanes and elastic bands.

Sadly the editor was never ported.

I thought it should be mentioned that Glider Pro and the old 4.0 version of Glider (and a Win XP version, too) is now free:

http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Glider%20PRO.html

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    ESCAPE

VELOCITY

God, I would play that game again in a heartbeat. Especially after starting to make my own game with their tools.

Also, Spaceward Ho!

intelnavi on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

Crystal%20Quest.jpg

Man I came back to this thread specifically to mention Crystal Quest! Excellent game. I guess there's a version of it on XBLA, but I played the demo and it felt like a lackluster dual stick shooter.

This thread is lucky you guys were here, otherwise I would have had to unleash my vengeful wrath.

Crystal Quest was amazing. I probably spent equal times in the editor and the game proper. I think it's also credited with getting my sister into gaming. She really liked watching me play, but found it too hard for her to play herself, which upset her (I was about six, she was four at the time). I made a special version for her where every other level was a bonus crystal round, and from that she basically started gaming.

area on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »
    No mention of Spectre. How disappointing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(computer_game)

Man, Spectre fucking ruled.

(goddamn yellow pointy tanks!)

Also, Number Muncher. Number Fucking Muncher.

KalTorak on