As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Krav Maga + a few other martial arts.

2»

• Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't mean to resurrect an older thread, but I've got a question. About how much per month can I expect to pay for Judo lessons? I'd like to start pretty badly, but I'm short on funds right now.

Reckless on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Reckless wrote:
    I don't mean to resurrect an older thread, but I've got a question. About how much per month can I expect to pay for Judo lessons? I'd like to start pretty badly, but I'm short on funds right now.

Judo clubs can be awesomely cheap. I've seen like $25/month before.

Edit: the one near me is $50/year for a national judo thing membership card, then $30/month after that.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    That sounds really good. I expect it to be tough, but I'm pretty out of shape cardiovascularly (that's really not a word) and I lack balance as well as reflexes, but that's all why I want to take Judo. Do you think it'll be above my head, or can I expect beginner classes to be available?

I'm an 18-year-old male if it makes a difference. I'll be sure to head down to the nearest Judo center and ask them these questions personally tomorrow.

Reckless on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Reckless wrote:
    That sounds really good. I expect it to be tough, but I'm pretty out of shape cardiovascularly (that's really not a word) and I lack balance as well as reflexes, but that's all why I want to take Judo. Do you think it'll be above my head, or can I expect beginner classes to be available?

I'm an 18-year-old male if it makes a difference. I'll be sure to head down to the nearest Judo center and ask them these questions personally tomorrow.

You should be fine. Are you overweight by a bunch, or just out of shape in terms of endurance?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The second. I'm probably underweight, or at least on the lower end of my height spectrum. About 150lbs at 6 feet tall.

Reckless on
  • Options
    n1t0n1t0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I did judo in japan for a year and taught and trained for a little bit here stateside.

If your new to judo and really tall and really light well thats two strikes against you but its an awesome sport to learn. Expect to be slammed a whole bunch, also expect to slam people a whole bunch. The warm ups might get you dizzy so just keep an eye out for the other students and make sure you dont run into them. Also before you join up make sure all your fingers and toes are trimmed. You dont want to scratch anyone on your first impressions.

n1t0 on
    n1t0.gif