As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

temporary brown/black hair dye?

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a job interview for a co-op position next thursday, and my hair is pink. I don't really want to get rid of the pink hair, but it would probably behoove me to not have pink hair for the interview. Are there any temporary brown or black dyes that will cover up pink and wash out afterwards?

My hair is dyed with special effects brand atomic pink, so washing it out isn't really an option. I've had it in for a good 2.5 months and it's still pretty bright.

HalberdBlue on

• Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your best bet is going to be hitting a hairdresser and getting it professionally done. Given how stubborn Special Effects' stuff is as it fades (you probably look like an anime character by now), you may need to have your hair treated or bleached before it can be dyed.

If you're absolutely DETERMINED to keep your current hair color, I used Manic Panic when I was a gigging musician, and that stuff is infamous for washing out faster than you'd like it to. Their temporary dyes would probably do the job, but your only option will probably be raven black.

Now all of this being said, I'd recommend that you just wear the pink hair to your interview. It's going to be just as awkward going in for your first day with pink hair, and if they're going to be dicks about hiring you because you dye your hair pink, they're going to be dicks while you're on the job about dying your hair pink. Dress professionally, behave professionally, and it shouldn't be a huge issue for that kind of job.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Elaborating on what wp said above, there are two possibilities:

- The type of job for which you're applying doesn't care about your hair color. Leave it pink and don't worry.

- The type of job for which you're applying does care about your hair color. You should probably change it to a human color, because you'll have to in order to land a job anyways.

If you're unsure where this job lies, you can always show up with pink hair, and after showing them through behavior and attire that you're not a freak or anything, ask them if your hair color would be an issue in fulfilling your duties, and tell them you're perfectly willing to change the color if it is.

Definitely don't interview with black hair and then show up the first day on the job in neon pink.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NotMeguChanNotMeguChan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if they're going to be dicks about hiring you because you dye your hair pink, they're going to be dicks while you're on the job about dying your hair pink. Dress professionally, behave professionally, and it shouldn't be a huge issue for that kind of job.

Agreed.

What's the job? If it's a place that will want you to have a natural-looking hair color, then you would eventually (provided the interview goes well) need to make some sort of permanent change in hair color. If it's a type of job that won't care what shade your locks are, a professional demeanor and outfit ought to do the trick.

NotMeguChan on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Definitely don't interview with black hair and then show up the first day on the job in neon pink.

Slipping one past them isn't going to do you any favors in the long run.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If you're unsure where this job lies, you can always show up with pink hair, and after showing them through behavior and attire that you're not a freak or anything, ask them if your hair color would be an issue in fulfilling your duties, and tell them you're perfectly willing to change the color if it is.
    yes, this...most people will understand, as long as the color is mentioned in the interview and you express your interest in changing it if they deem it inappropriate....they most likely will not have a problem with it, but will respect you for being sane enough to understand that they MAY have an issue...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm completely willing to change my hair color for the job. I'm not that attached to it. It just doesn't start until the summer, so I'd like to keep my attention whore hair while I can, which is why I'm looking for something temporary.

I suppose I should also ask what I ought to wear to it. The kind of job I'm interviewing for is a research co-op position at a place that I'll need security clearance for. The only clothes I own right now are jeans and shorts and t-shirts and a suit. I have nothing in between. Should I wear the suit or should I go to the thrift shop and pick up a dress shirt there?

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's not the same, but I always shave my beard before an interview. Beards are just considered less professional sometimes, and it's the "I gussied myself up for y'all, h'yuck!" I will then ask the manager, after I have been offered the position, if I'm allowed to keep a well trimmed beard in my job. This is a good approach if the job is more important to you than your appearance decision, but the appearance decision is something you'd like to keep.

Are you not sure that you'll get the job, and don't want to commit to normal hair until you land the job? If you're currently job hunting, pink hair won't do you favors in a lot of situations and is probably best just dealt with on a semi-permanent basis, unless you find yourself already in a job that will allow it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm completely willing to change my hair color for the job. I'm not that attached to it. It just doesn't start until the summer, so I'd like to keep my attention whore hair while I can, which is why I'm looking for something temporary.

I suppose I should also ask what I ought to wear to it. The kind of job I'm interviewing for is a research co-op position at a place that I'll need security clearance for. The only clothes I own right now are jeans and shorts and t-shirts and a suit. I have nothing in between. Should I wear the suit or should I go to the thrift shop and pick up a dress shirt there?

Wear a suit. It's better to be overdressed for an interview than underdressed.
    It doesn't matter if you feel silly as long as you look professional.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd also like to point out that punk hairstyles can look really sweet in even the most formal of formal wear.

Also, if you look sharp and act sharp then they'll be more concerned with getting you to work for them than whether or not you'll fit in to the corporate machine.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wear a suit. It's better to be overdressed for an interview than underdressed.
    It doesn't matter if you feel silly as long as you look professional.

Yep, always wear a suit.
    I'd also like to point out that punk hairstyles can look really sweet in even the most formal of formal wear.

Also, if you look sharp and act sharp then they'll be more concerned with getting you to work for them than whether or not you'll fit in to the corporate machine.

This really depends on the place, but I think most traditional companies are going to be put off by it. Most interviews are decided within the first few minutes. First impressions are huge. If the interviewer has a negative impression of you right from the start, it's not going to matter what you say. Even if it's not a huge issue but they have to make a decision between him and another person, a lot of times they'll look for an easy answer and that would be one.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Eh. Wear a suit, keep the hair. You will be professional and memorable, which is very important.

[edit] I got recruited for my job while having suit + long/shaggy bleached-white hair (it was silly) at a career fair. Recruiter remembered me when it was time to hand out interviews.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Eh. Wear a suit, keep the hair. You will be professional and memorable, which is very important.

Eh, ultimately it's up to him, but tattooing "FUCK YOU ALL" on your forehead is memorable, too, just not for the right reason.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think being blatantly offensive is a little different than interesting hair.

Wetsun on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Some old fashioned business people find pink hair offensive. You just never know.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not denying that it might turn off certain subgroups, but it's a little silly to compare it to the blatant offensiveness of "Fuck You All".

Wetsun on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You probably don't have worry, as a number of people (from my own experience with dyed hair) really don't care and usually view differences positively once they get over the initial 'oh hey this is different' aspect.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A big part about it is whether you'll be interacting with some sort of customer for the company.

If you'll just be in an office with coworkers, it's easier to not worry about any oddities to your appearance, as long as it doesn't make any of your coworkers uncomfortable.

However, if there are customers/clients/whatever for the company that you'll be meeting with, they'll often want you to be as professional and traditional as possible, so as not to risk losing the company any money.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.