As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quake 3: Awaiting Challenge... Timeout

downerdowner Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a friend who hosts a dedicated server for Q3 whenever we all get around to playing. Sometimes, I connect without issue. Other times, when I attempt to connect it just says "Awaiting Challenge.." and then slowly counts up.

Here are some of the things I attempted last night to rectify this situation while 5 of my other friends connected and played on the server without issue:

I reset my Modem.

I attempted to connect through the console, qtracker and xfire.

I deleted all of my custom files and config files.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game.

Even on a fresh install, with no config files present, it still gave me the "Awaiting Challenge.." and counted up. The only thing I didn't try was to let it count beyond 30 seconds.

Has anyone had a similar issue? With Q3 or another game that runs on the same engine?

downer on

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are your connections with everything else fine? Do you have punkbuster enabled? Are you 100% sure you've got the right ip (did you try typing it in yourself? did you try doing a general search and making sure the server was on the list? did the server show up and ping correctly using a 3rd party program?)? Can you connect to other servers?

The countdown is the symptom of a connection problem, obviously, either yours or the server's. You could try pinging the server or your friend's ip outside of the game, maybe it's just a routing issue. If your ping is really high or unstable you'll get that message (or "server is for low/high pings only). If that's the only problem you're getting than it's almost surely a connection issue.

Good luck.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had some problems back in the day and could never figure out why. Eventually I got a new router and it fixed all my issues with quake III. A d-link router was causing my issues. If you connect through one I would check it out.

RedDawn on