Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Spike TV announces VGA Nominees

124

Posts

  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

    And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?

    http://twitter.com/#!/dirtylonghair - My Twitter / GT: GreasyKidsStuff / NNID: GreasyKidsStuff / 3DS Friend Code: 4828 5290 8757 / Digital Comics Codes
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soul Calibur will win best fighter

    And it will be due to a massive Star Wars product placement ad, and the videos of the game will show Yoda, Vader, and the Apprentice.

    Nobody else.

    Spoiler:
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MH79 wrote: »
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

    And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?

    Because Multiplayer is code for "Best Shooter Again" here at Spike TV's Video Game Gears of aWards.

  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terrible lists.

    Dead Space not even being in the running for Game of the Year? Or sound design?

    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

    I will just ignore these like I do every year.

    But really, how different do you expect all the other lists to be?

    More Dead Space, More Mirror's Edge, probably more L4D and PoP once they're out.

  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    Terrible lists.

    Dead Space not even being in the running for Game of the Year? Or sound design?

    Well there isn't a general sound design award.


    If there was there'd be no point because Dead Space would automatically win.

  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

    I will just ignore these like I do every year.

    But really, how different do you expect all the other lists to be?

    I'm hoping that games that aren't about killing stuff might appear on a few of them...

    No, that'd be stupid. The "hardcore gamers" think that games not involving killing people are for pussies, and we must all cater to the hardcore gamers!

    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Exarch wrote: »
    Terrible lists.

    Dead Space not even being in the running for Game of the Year? Or sound design?

    Well there isn't a general sound design award.


    If there was there'd be no point because Dead Space would automatically win.

    It would be close between Dead Space and Silent Hill Homecoming. SHH may have been generally mediocre, but the sound and music for the game was holy shit awesome.

    scornsig.jpg
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Best Soundtrack
    LittleBigPlanet
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Rock Band 2
    Guitar Hero World Tour

    Did anybody else find this to be highly depressing, and/or a joke? Not to knock Michael Hunter's incidentals and theme work... but nearly 90% of the game's soundtrack are just licensed tracks.

    Same with Rock Band... and Guitar Hero World Tour.

    Best Soundtrack is just "Spike's Best iPod Playlist"
    Didn't the 50 Cent game win this catagory one year? I certainely remember a great deal of mockery of that catagory one round.

    Oh man, I just looked up the past winners. It seems that they had a category for scores... but this year there is no "Best Original Score" category? Go figure.

    2007: Best Original Score - Bioshock
    2006: Best Original Score - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

    Looks like composers get another awards show on PBS.

    .....
    Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

    It was amusing to have Massachusetts as part of our country, but now, of course, like so much of the coastal nation, it no longer qualifies as America.
  • mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MH79 wrote: »
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

    And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?
    No voice chat

    E26cO.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    MH79 wrote: »
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

    And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?
    No voice chat

    While I enjoy online play, it isn't the only form of multiplayer.

    Wii U: Peevvi || 3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    MH79 wrote: »
    Soul Calibur IV will win best fighting came cuz of, well, you know... titties

    And why doesn't Smash Bros. get a nomination for best multiplayer?
    No voice chat

    While I enjoy online play, it isn't the only form of multiplayer.
    It is the most important

    E26cO.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

    The Dog (Fable II)

  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    cheez wrote: »
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

    The Dog (Fable II)

    Was probably done by Frank Welker. The man does so many animals voices in cartoons, it's disturbing. :)

    scornsig.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    cheez wrote: »
    I appreciate that they limited VA nominations to humans. Keep these awards within the species, boys.

    The Dog (Fable II)

    Was probably done by Frank Welker. The man does so many animals voices in cartoons, it's disturbing. :)

    Damn, if so, the dude deserves the award.

  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Well, that is a horrible list IMHO and stupidly biased towards FPS-and-boob-loving-males, but then again that is pretty much Spike's entire audience, so it makes sense.

    I will just ignore these like I do every year.

    But really, how different do you expect all the other lists to be?

    I'm hoping that games that aren't about killing stuff might appear on a few of them...

    No, that'd be stupid. The "hardcore gamers" think that games not involving killing people are for pussies, and we must all cater to the hardcore gamers!

    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?

    sQwJu.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    I can't find that in the list in the OP. Is it nominated for something not listed in the OP?

    sQwJu.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    I can't find that in the list in the OP. Is it nominated for something not listed in the OP?

    It was a past nomination...

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    Either way though, just because, say, Gears of War 2 has a mass audience appeal doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's an awesome game. There are reasons that other games should be on the list but "PEOPLE LIKE THEM" isn't one of them.

  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    Either way though, just because, say, Gears of War 2 has a mass audience appeal doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's an awesome game. There are reasons that other games should be on the list but "PEOPLE LIKE THEM" isn't one of them.

    Nowhere did I say that mainstream/mass marketed games were bad games.

    The "give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough" was mostly directed to 50's game getting nominations... I had said it was shitty at first, but as I thought about it, it really wasn't all that bad. Should it have been nominated for awards? Nah.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    This is such an ignorant attitude and I'm getting so tired of seeing it around G&T. Who's to say the games they picked aren't better than whatever minigames you are hoping would be on there?

    What exactly would you have put in place of these "killing games"?
    I don't think "hardcore gamer" means what he thinks he means, and I'm pretty sure his criticism isn't even directed at the right place.

    What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    edit: It wasn't terrible, but awards nod worthy? hardly.

    Either way though, just because, say, Gears of War 2 has a mass audience appeal doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's an awesome game. There are reasons that other games should be on the list but "PEOPLE LIKE THEM" isn't one of them.

    Nowhere did I say that mainstream/mass marketed games were bad games.

    The "give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough" was mostly directed to 50's game getting nominations... I had said it was shitty at first, but as I thought about it, it really wasn't all that bad. Should it have been nominated for awards? Nah.
    No you were right, it was the post about how whatshisface was annoyed that there were games with action that people who play games like.

  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Christ, you guys are thick.

    It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to. The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Or it could just as easily be that more popular things are prone to win more popularity contests.

    steam_sig.png
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Several flaws with that.

    First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Christ, you guys are thick.

    It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to. The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

    Can you list some examples for all of us dim-witted posters?

    sQwJu.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Several flaws with that.

    First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

    I don't think I understand your point. How is "BEST PC GAME" as decided by a panel of judges not a popularity contest? The best game will be the most popular because it will get the most votes. Games don't get popular by sucking and being not fun to play. They get popular by being good games - even if they're not games that you enjoy personally.

    steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Spike TV Video Game Awards is most definitely a popularity contest.

    FFXIV/Sargatanas/Wintry Ptarmigan
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uh, this is Spike TV. Why are we attributing anything to their awards show that would assume they would nominate or award "the best" games? It's a glorified commercial where they slap product names all over everything to make a buck.

    scornsig.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Christ, you guys are thick.

    It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to.The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

    "What he probably means to say is that "we must all cater to mainstream/mass marketed games, or give nominations to so-so games if we're paid enough *cough50 Cent: Bulletproofcough*"

    Try clarity before wit? Just a suggestion.

    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jclast wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Several flaws with that.

    First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

    I don't think I understand your point. How is "BEST PC GAME" as decided by a panel of judges not a popularity contest? The best game will be the most popular because it will get the most votes. Games don't get popular by sucking and being not fun to play. They get popular by being good games - even if they're not games that you enjoy personally.

    There is a curve, whereby in most art forms the mediocre is the most popular, e.g. McDonalds. No one would ever say that McDonalds is the best food on the planet, but damn they sure sell a hell of a lot of food.

    But video games just haven't really advanced to the point where there's that huge of a divide between the experimental and the mainstream in terms of quality, and while there are some indie games that are astoundingly artistic, they tend to be fucking shitty games, because the tools to make games just aren't there, and gaming isn't respected enough yet as an artform that there is a way to support oneself just by making super-artistic, experimental games.


    The idea that Passage is a better game than GeoW2 is laughable, for instance.

  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Christ, you guys are thick.

    It was a post about how I was annoyed that there are so few games nominated that don't involve blowing shit up. Every year, the winners are games that copy other games that blow shit up with a few improvements. There are some absolutely fantastic games out there, made by smaller companies with smaller budgets, that are far more engaging and fun than blowing more shit up, but they never get a nod because that would piss off the "hardcore gamer" crowd that these awards are trying to cater to. The fallacy is that the "hardcore gamer" crowd is so much more diverse than these idiots assume and I am pissed off that they are so narrow in their views. My use of the term "hardcore gamer" was ironic (note that irony is more subtle than sarcasm, and so I am not surprised you all missed it) and pointed at the fact that "hardcore gamer" does NOT mean idiots who play nothing but FPSes or games with giant boobies.

    You being obtuse and unclear in your phrasing and point doesn't make us stupid.

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently being 'small' or 'indie' automatically puts you above anything else. Who knew?

  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also look at something as structured as music.


    How many of you listen to Brian Ferneyhough? I bet if you did you would get about 30 seconds in and switch to listening to something more popular. Ferneyhough is an amazing composer, absolutely brilliant, but his stuff requires training to enjoy correctly. If most of you were played Terrain side by side with Say it ain't so, I bet you'd say Say it ain't so is better, because Terrain would just sound like a horrible, horrible mess of shit to untrained ears.


    Classical musicians don't get in a tizzy when the Grammy goes to whoever the Grammys go to instead of Ligeti and Adams.

  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Several flaws with that.

    First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

    While I couldn't agree more that these lists are stupidly heavy on shooters...
    Best PC Game
    Spore
    Crysis Warhead
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    Left 4 Dead

    Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

    O_o?

  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cheez wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Several flaws with that.

    First, these aren't supposed to be popularity contests, they're supposed to be awards to the best. The best aren't always popular. Second, several extremely popular games aren't on that list because they're not FPSes (Spore, anyone?)

    While I couldn't agree more that these lists are stupidly heavy on shooters...
    Best PC Game
    Spore
    Crysis Warhead
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
    Left 4 Dead

    Best Original Score
    Fallout 3
    Spore
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    LittleBigPlanet

    O_o?

    AAA titles in general are heavy on shooters. Because that's what is hot now.

    mrsatansig.png
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire is disgustingly lacking. Spore should be up for more if this is purely a popularity contest. de Blob should be in there for music, as should TWEWY. Mario Kart Wii should be up for more.

    I'm not trying to say that indie games are better because they're indie, I'm trying to say that I'm tired of these awards ignoring them simply because they don't come from big-name developers. I do realise that Spore and MKWii aren't indie, and TWEWY had square behind it (although it is an entirely new IP.)

    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IT'S SPIKE. IT'S MARKETING BULLSHIT. NOBODY CARES.

    FFXIV/Sargatanas/Wintry Ptarmigan
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Sins of a Solar Empire is disgustingly lacking. Spore should be up for more if this is purely a popularity contest. de Blob should be in there for music, as should TWEWY. Mario Kart Wii should be up for more.

    I'm not trying to say that indie games are better because they're indie, I'm trying to say that I'm tired of these awards ignoring them simply because they don't come from big-name developers. I do realise that Spore and MKWii aren't indie, and TWEWY had square behind it (although it is an entirely new IP.)

    so you're just raging against the machine because your games didn't make the cut

    k

    sQwJu.png
Sign In or Register to comment.