As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you get over Breakups?

unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
It's something I've been wondering given a recent breakup I've gone through and although it does seem to get a bit easier every day, I still feel like a shadow of my former self.

As ridiculous as that may sound, it's true and I'm wondering how others get through it. I've felt a lot more free which is nice, but any attempts at socializing with the opposite sex never really seem to work out. Granted, I am incredibly quiet around people I don't know. Those that I do would say I never stop making jokes.

So looking back, I suppose my question is twofold:

1. How do you get over the breakup of a serious relationship?
2. What can I do to be a little more outgoing and friendly?

unpurposed on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After a serious relationship, I usually get a crush and may/may not rebound. While it may not be the healthiest thing in the world, it gets my mind off of things.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I went through a tough break-up in July this year. We were together for a year and a bit, and she was the first serious relationship I've ever been with, and it was very tough. I still really loved her, and I don't think she knew, but eh. How I got over it was honestly throwing myself into work, school stuff I was doing at the time, and social activities. I would just constantly busy myself with shit to do. I still got really upset at points over it, but honestly, after about 3 weeks of doing this, something just clicked inside of me saying it was going to change, this is just a part of it, it's going to get better. And it did; I rarely think about her, and I've already gone on several dates with a few girls. And while I don't regret the relationship, I found out how better off I was without her, especially in her ability to suck my writing and poetic life out of me.

How do you become a little bit more outgoing? Try to get excited about meeting new people, consider talking more to people at work and stuff you don't normally talk to. you will honestly be surprised how easy it is to talk to people when you start. I used to be incredibly anti-social, back when I was going to therapy full time (and didn't want to go on anti-depressants, despite the diagnosis), and just honestly talking to people, and making an effort doing it you will see. It really isn't all that hard.

eric. on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. Get rid of everything that reminds you of that person, cut off contact with them etc. Don't try to rush out and get into a new relationship right away. Enjoy your time being single. Don't read internet threads about relationship issues as that will probably just remind you of the breakup. Realize that some wounds will never heal and that is a good thing.

2. (this helps with 1) Hang out with your friends more, try to take any opportunity that come up for socialization, show genuine interest in what other people are talking about, find people with hobbies close to your own if your friends don't have them, also find friends that don't share all your hobbies but do something you might be interested in so you get a good range of socialization.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    PinkjusticePinkjustice Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    my own short story and solution.

2 year relationship. Girlfriend at the time became a core group of our friends so when we broke up it divided the group which made social get togethers a little awkward. Limit your contact with your ex as much as possible, zero contact for a while make it a lot easier if it was a rough break up. After the break up i put all my energy towards my job and hitting the gym. Exercise was a great output for all the pent up thoughts and energy plus you come out looking and feeling great about yourself which makes talking to a new girl much easier.

TLDR: Break all contact with her. Join a gym and focus on school/career. At this point women will come out of the woodwork like magic.

Pinkjustice on
    It's more of a coral or a salmon
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember your initial post-breakup post, it's good to hear that things are getting better. To be more outgoing and friendly you can join the attempt of a Boston meetup next week.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. Cut off contact. Don't drag it out.

2. Even if it was a crappy break-up, take it all as a learning experience.

3. Get active. Join a gym, join a sports team, something. You'll feel sooo much better yourself and keeping busy will help with not thinking about other things.

Lail on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lail wrote: »

2. Even if it was a crappy break-up, take it all as a learning experience.

3. Get active. Join a gym, join a sports team, something. You'll feel sooo much better yourself and keeping busy will help with not thinking about other things.

Limed for truth.

The best way to get over a breakup is to immerse yourself in some new and positive activities. Joining a gym is a good idea (it's hard to feel depressed pumping iron) but now might be a good time to get that new game you've wanted to play, or to go out with your friends to that new club/bar/whatever, or to learn how to cook.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lail wrote: »

Yes.

I had a difficult breakup earlier this year in which I was hoping to stay friends with my ex. It sort of worked out in the end (sort of, but that's a whole other thing). But at first, trying to keep in touch with her was absolutely killing me. It wasn't until I told her that I was just too much of a mess to be in contact with her, and that I wiped her off my IM lists, etc, that things started to noticeably improve for me.

It really sucks, but you have to try and put her behind you.

exis on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. Witness the death of a ten year relationship.
    2. Discard humanity.
    3. Become a monk, temple optional.
    4. Spend a year or two in quiet contemplation. (see above)
    5. Seek out weaknesses in your own self and destroy them, one by one.
    6. Emerge from your cocoon, smarter better faster stronger.
    7. Reconnect.
    8. Make your own life as you want it.
    9. Choose your next relationship wisely.
    10. Put in the effort and hope it works out.

In retrospect, there is probably a better way. For me though, the ride was hard. I had studied up, I was knowledgable, hell, I considered myself quite experienced- a young master at work. After that oh so epic fail, I had to to break my own ego, and reconsider things. Reconsider everything. I had to accept the possibility that everything I knew about myself and about relationships was deeply flawed, and rebuild those ideas, one at a time.

In the end I think the overhaul was a good move, and the disconnection allowed me to drop bad influences (in my case certain habits and specific people) and keep up the good ones. I'm not suggesting everyone should do this, but I definately had to. Too many things (ie. reality) had pointed out that I was simply too full of my own BS to leave room for meaningful interaction. I ain't saying I'm feces free or that it has no odour, but I think its fair to say I did a pretty good job of ditching the vast majority of it. I certainly feel lighter and more like myself, my real self, than I ever have.

The upside is that because my new relationship is based around having someone know me for who and what I am, faults flaws strengths and all, its more truthful, more honest and so more meaningful than any others I've had. It may die, there are no guarentees, but even if it did, the enjoyment and satisfaction I've gotten out of it would outweigh any regrets. Also, I could start something like it all over again and still be entirely content with life as it is.

For someone chronically depressed for pretty much thier whole life up to that point, thats saying something. *shrug* Everybody finds their own way, I guess. At least, I hope they find it, its pretty good stuff once you get going.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Exercise.

Seriously, this is the good shit right here. Aside from keeping yourself physically healthy, there is really not a damn thing you can do. You just gotta ride it out. There's nothing really wrong with seeing someone else, but the chances are you're too broken right now to do anything productive. Don't go trawling for dates.

Speaking of which, I need to take my own advice and get back in the gym. Stupid women and their commitment issues.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Closure is important. Think about why you're stressing over your previous relationship. I know I spent a lot of time agonizing over my last relationship because I thought it could still work. I felt a lot better after my ex told me there was no chance of that happening.

I also second the cut off contact part but if there are unanswered questions hanging over your head there is nothing wrong with trying to get them answered.

I can also recommend exercise. I started doing that when I was feeling down and it helped me feel better. And even though I'm over it I still exercise. Having a plan for that helps too - check out the fitness thread.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Don't listen to sad songs.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sleep with a prettier girl.

Time heals all too.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Man, all you gotta do is find a girl that looks just like her, nail her, and then dump her, man. Get her of your mind. "

[/SayAnything]

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. drink
    2. drink

oldsak on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "Man, all you gotta do is find a girl that looks just like her, nail her, and then dump her, man. Get her of your mind. "

[/SayAnything]

I get that you're referencing something here, but don't make these kinds of posts. It's terribly stupid advice and it's actually not all that clever of a post, either.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    1. drink
    2. drink

No

Not this

Not this ever.

I tired this. All I ended up with is a 56% on my chem midterm, and bad drunken memories of missing her.

Orestes on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Orestes wrote: »
    oldsak wrote: »
    1. drink
    2. drink

No

Not this

Not this ever.

I tired this. All I ended up with is a 56% on my chem midterm, and bad drunken memories of missing her.

Yes, I feel I must add that alcohol is a terrible solution. Being a solo drunk never solved anything.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alcohol as a solution is a terrible idea. (Except if you're in Chemistry :P)

However, getting a bunch of friends together, going out, and having a good time that may include alcohol is a pretty awesome idea, as long as you go out with the idea firmly in place that you're going to focus on what awesome friends you have and not the breakup.

Getting a bunch of friends together and watching some badass movies is good, too. Don't watch anything schmoopy. The correct kind of movie has lots of gratuitous explosions and car chases, maybe some sort of buddy-cop nonsense, that sort of thing. I recommend something like Hard Boiled.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alcohol as a solution is a terrible idea. (Except if you're in Chemistry:P)

ARGGHHHHHH

Anyway, I usually work out a lot after a breakup. I don't consciously try, it just happens. And I generally feel emotionally when I feel and look healthier.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Everybody finds their own way, I guess. At least, I hope they find it, its pretty good stuff once you get going.

Just want to point out that there is a ton of good advice, and some of it may work. The fact is, though, you will have to find your own way to do this.

It helps to think how you get over other failures in life. From simple things like failing a test to somewhat more complicated ones such as moving to new cities. How you were able to deal with those will probably be a decent indicator to how you will best deal with this.

For my part, I can only offer that I had the easiest time trying to objectively look at things and determine what I may have misunderstood and done incorrectly. Do not worry with assigning blame, as that is next to worthless. Instead, look for any lessons you can and learn from them. Be honest, even harsh at times, but always realistic. Sometimes there really is nothing to be learned from what happened, sometimes there is. If you find yourself constantly thinking of the same things over and over, talk about them specifically with someone. Until you have some other insite, you are not likely to make progress. Other people can help.

taeric on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks. It's been nice to get a lot of good advice both from all of you and from my friends. I'm just trying to move on and be a bit more social.

I don't want it to sound like I'm some sort of anti-social freak, just that I open up more to people I know and I really do like talking to others. It's just kind of hard starting that conversation up and as much as people say that girls will come out, I just haven't experienced it yet. Eh, I really should try harder.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    unpurposed wrote: »
    Thanks. It's been nice to get a lot of good advice both from all of you and from my friends. I'm just trying to move on and be a bit more social.

I don't want it to sound like I'm some sort of anti-social freak, just that I open up more to people I know and I really do like talking to others. It's just kind of hard starting that conversation up and as much as people say that girls will come out, I just haven't experienced it yet. Eh, I really should try harder.

I wouldn't actively start looking for another relationship right away. It seems that this relationship 'broke you' a little bit, and you need to spend sometime just being happy with yourself. Now I'm not saying pass up any opportunities to date, just don't go looking for them. At least, not until you are comfortable with yourself.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    BerserkisBerserkis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Go out and have fun with friends, family, clubs - whatever it is you enjoy doing.

Stay busy, and positive and youll be fine. Just dont mope around the house for a long time, eating cereal and staying in your pajamas all day/night.... it wont help you - Trust me! :)

Berserkis on