Options

Weird graphics glitches in WoW

shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm seeing some weird graphics glitches while playing WoW and I have no idea what causes them. If anyone has any suggestions on tests I could run to diagnose the problem or if you just know what causes something like what's in the following pictures, I'd be really appreciative. The really odd thing is that they don't occur constantly and if I reset a graphics option that causes the screen to repaint, they go away for a time. Which makes this more worrisome and slightly annoying than anything else.

screen_glitch2.jpg
screen_glitch1.jpg

shadowane on

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Without actually seeing the glitches it's hard to say. This could be a number of things
    A) over heating due to bad case ventilation, high room temps, your video card fan not working due to spider webs getting all up in there cause you haven't cleaned it since clinton was in office.
    B) old video drivers (you have updated right)
    C) monitor issues, I only put this out there as I can't see the pictures at work.

Does it happen at any certain time or place? I know shattrath and the new Lich king starting zones could be killer.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nope, it's completely random. It's possible it's my video card overheating though. Is there any tool that could test that? I have a 8800 GTS.

edit: And no I haven't upgraded my video card drivers. I guess it's possible the new shadows are causing this although I remember seeing it before this. I guess that'll be step number 1.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When that was happening to a guildie, all he had to do was update his drivers.

When that happened to me my GPU was overheating because the fan wasn't coming on anymore.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like artifacting. Check your temps. Right click on the desktop and go to the nvidia control panel. There's an option somewhere in there for temps.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay. I'll update these numbers once I install all this stuff. Thanks guys.

shadowane on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    looks like when i overclocked too much.

i second all the heat related concerns.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After seeing the pictures I'm gonna go with heat. You can check out this thread about testing/monitoring your card

You can either use the nvidia temp monitor after running wow for a while with the glitches happening, or check the thread below. Keep in mind ati tool can be pretty mean on cards and I wouldn't run it for more than a few minutes.

http://www.hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1175296.html

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Graphics card is overheating as a result of overclocking. Chances are that it's gonna crap out on you.

Crack open your case and clean the dust off with a can of compressed air. Move the tower to somewhere where it has better ventilation.

If that doesn't work, be ready to get a new card.

Tav on
  • Options
    SnakeDoctorSnakeDoctor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like video card RAM overheating and possibly damaged. I had a card that did that a few times during the summer and then i think became permanently damaged. Definitely look into getting Riva Tuner to monitor your temps. Anything above 80 degrees C should be a warning sign.

SnakeDoctor on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had this exact thing happen with my 9800 pro (they run hot) and it was overheating of course.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    At my desktop with nothing running it seems to be idling at 63 degrees. I'll report later with a temperature when WoW is running.

shadowane on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had the same with an 8600, it was overheating too. Taking some canned air and getting the dust out cleared it up for me.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It seems to idle around 63/64 degrees and jumps to about 80 or so when I'm playing WoW. I haven't seen any glitches in my last 2 play times after upgrading the drivers, but I'll still probably open up the case and spray it clean with some compressed air. Probably power up the machine with the side off and make sure the fan is running too. Thanks for the help.

shadowane on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah its running sorta hot, so you'll want to get it cooling better asap.

DeShadowC on