As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Urgent: HELP! Luggage lock stuck. What to do?

BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am flying tomorrow with two Samsonite 29" Oysters and the lock on one of them is stuck. I don't know what to do. It's not a combination issue, it was working 2 weeks ago when I used them, but something felt wrong with the lock today when I closed the luggage and then I try to open it back and it won't :(

Help please this is urgent as I will fly with it tomorrow and need the stuff in it on Monday morning. Anyone good with these things? I don't want to break the whole luggage ... grrr so annoyed :(

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-384443059-Oyster-29-Cartwheel/dp/B000QUXO8Y

The lock in question is the one on top in the middle by the handle.

Anyone know of a solution? :(

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

Basar on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    An actual lock smith shouldn't have trouble getting it open.

Quid on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I imagine something clicked wrong and that it needw to be forced up, say with q screwdriver?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Of course if getting to the luggage inside is more important that the case itself you could just smash the lock. A hammer and chisel would have that thing open in ten seconds and you wouldn't have to pay ten times what the case is worth to a locksmith.

Casual on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would just bust the lock open. Between going to the hassle of getting this thing to a locksmith and paying them for their services, i don't think its worth the cost of the suitcase. Not to mention, i would expect the locksmith to most likely have to break the lock open anyways. Besides, even if you are somehow able to get it open without completely destroying the lock, do you really want to trust it again after this?

Grimm on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can probably just jimmy the latch open with a cheap pocketknife that has a very thin blade.

supabeast on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    If you can't pop it open with very little force, don't use a knife. Use either a screwdriver (WITHOUT YOUR OTHER HAND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LOCK) or the hammer + chisel method. If the latches still hold it shut even without the lock, it's still a working piece of luggage. I assure you, the lock on it isn't going to deter anyone, ever. You're at no greater risk without it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    If you can't pop it open with very little force, don't use a knife. Use either a screwdriver (WITHOUT YOUR OTHER HAND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LOCK) or the hammer + chisel method. If the latches still hold it shut even without the lock, it's still a working piece of luggage. I assure you, the lock on it isn't going to deter anyone, ever. You're at no greater risk without it.
    This is important to note. The locks on luggage are essentially honest person locks. Anyone that wants in there can and will.

Quid on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    okay, that did make me lol a tiny bit.

Seriously though, the lock is worthless. You risk nothing by destroying it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH