As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men: Origins - Singer Wants Magneto; He Wants Magneto Badly (OP updated 06/01/09)

• Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not as if the stories in the comics are any better.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually, yeah, they totally are.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, they have their own kind of stupid but it's not Hollywood "Executive Producer" stupid.

Though I'm still annoyed at just how much of a goody-goody the movie Wolverine is. In the comics he definitely was in the anti hero mold.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not as if the stories in the comics are any better.

Actually, yeah, they totally are.

fury_gets_a_little_head.jpg

breathing.jpg

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    X-Men: Origins has a talking head too, though.

Regardless, it's not about which medium has the craziest shit, but rather which group of writers is better able to approach the subject matter and present it in a way that the audience can accept.

If they'd had a throw-away line earlier in the film about how they had adamantium bullets on hand to put Wolverine down, then it would've seemed like less of a cop out to bring them up later. Course, even that wouldn't explain how a weapon designed explicitly for killing Logan somehow just manages to give him amnesia instead.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Well theres also a huge bullet hole in his impenetrable skull and a shell inside his brain.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bullets in your brain giving you amnesia makes about as much sense as drinking to remember.

I don't mean it doesn't make sense in the way that optic blasts don't make sense. I mean they don't make sense in the sense that it's completely unexpected and not even justified in the context of the setting. They might as well have made him drink Amnesia Beer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought Adamantium was supposed to be extremely hard to make, rare, and expensive. Now they're making bullets out of it?

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think it's partially that it's a cop-out kind of twist and almost insulting to the audience. It'd be like the bad guy dramatically pulling out a case and saying "Ok, for the teleporting guy we've got teleporting bullets, for the diamond girl we've got diamond bullets, and for the fat guy we've got cholesterol bullets."

I mean, why not? If Wolverine was exactly completely invulnerable, than the movie would have been boring. The bullets were his kryptonite...kinda. Memory-wise. You understand. It explains why in all the movies he can't remember anything.

An-D on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How the hell do you even shot a Adamantium bullet anyways?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    I think it's partially that it's a cop-out kind of twist and almost insulting to the audience. It'd be like the bad guy dramatically pulling out a case and saying "Ok, for the teleporting guy we've got teleporting bullets, for the diamond girl we've got diamond bullets, and for the fat guy we've got cholesterol bullets."

I mean, why not? If Wolverine was exactly completely invulnerable, than the movie would have been boring. The bullets were his kryptonite...kinda. Memory-wise. You understand. It explains why in all the movies he can't remember anything.

He doesn't need a kryptonite. As the movie itself points out, you could probably kill Wolverine if you decapitated him. There are a bunch of other ways too.

The only reason the bullets are there is because they needed to explain why he can't remember anything. Unfortunately, they went with a really shitty reason that makes the connection between this film and the X-Men films feel like an afterthought rather than a suitable bridge that sheds further light on Wolverine's character and motives.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    How the hell do you even shot a Adamantium bullet anyways?

You just have to cast it and put it in a cartridge w/ primer and powder. The whole point is why would you want to do that?

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno how the gun was used anyways considering the guy whose mutant power it was to shoot guns wasn't there.

yakul on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey also, wouldn't that mean he's got two holes in his skull forever? And wouldn't that have come up at some point? And wouldn't they have found the adamantium bullets still lodged in his brain someplace? Or did they come out the back and he's got four holes? This hokey solution doesn't really solve anything!

Peen on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yakul wrote: »
    I dunno how the gun was used anyways considering the guy whose mutant power it was to shoot guns wasn't there.

Seriously, they sent that guy out who was amazing with guns, and then after he died, they were like, oops, guess we should have given him this super gun with the super bullets. Oh well...

NotYou on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, they had the answer to this Wolverine thing sitting in their canon the whole time. I was looking for Agent Zero's back-story because I wasn't that familiar with him and I ran across this sentance:

"Zero also once used a sniper rifle loaded with bullets forged of Adamantium-piercing "anti-metal"."

I'm pretty sure the concept of anti-metal broke my brain. I'm leaving this thread now.

Peen on
  • Options
    JimwitchJimwitch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It seems to me that the explanation for Wolverine's memory loss is that the adamantium bullets damaged his brain which caused memory loss. Doesn't that mean that prior to getting the metal skeleton, any brain damage Wolverine suffered would have caused him to lose his memory? Also, wouldn't shooting Wolverine in the eye have exactly the same effect?

Why couldn't they just have said that the process of bonding the adamantium was so traumatic that Wolverine lost his memory then. Surely that would have made more sense than having magic bullets do it.

Jimwitch on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So he can heal everything....except his brain?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jimwitch wrote: »
    It seems to me that the explanation for Wolverine's memory loss is that the adamantium bullets damaged his brain which caused memory loss. Doesn't that mean that prior to getting the metal skeleton, any brain damage Wolverine suffered would have caused him to lose his memory? Also, wouldn't shooting Wolverine in the eye have exactly the same effect?

Why couldn't they just have said that the process of bonding the adamantium was so traumatic that Wolverine lost his memory then. Surely that would have made more sense than having magic bullets do it.

Wasn't that how they pulled it off in the comics and show? He's constantly flashing back to it, like it's the first thing new "Logan" remembers.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    So he can heal everything....except his brain?

265244-5762-wolverine_super.jpg

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think they just brainwashed him in the comics.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yep.

Quid on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wasn't that how they pulled it off in the comics and show? He's constantly flashing back to it, like it's the first thing new "Logan" remembers.

I think the game had a better explination on why Logon doesn't remember.
    His girlfriend Kayla is a hypnosis mutant who with physical contact can trick you into anything. After Logan is show in the head he touches him and tells him "I know you want to forget everything, but if you do eventually remember. Remember I love you" then for some reason she just walks into the lake and disappears/drowns never to be seen again. This is also after they used the Weapon-X helmet to try and wipe his memory and shot him in the head with the "magic" bullet.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah the memory loss thing was where I too drew the line. I remember someone talking about how you need to suspend disbelief on a comic movie, but that was over the line.
    It's like, in Superman I can believe a man can fly, but if when he's flying his hair doesn't move and his cape don't flutter, I call bull crap.
    Same thing with Wolverine, I can believe that a dude is super awesome at healing, but I can't believe that two bullets would cause a memory loss.
    It was just too unbelievable.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah the memory loss thing was where I too drew the line. I remember someone talking about how you need to suspend disbelief on a comic movie, but that was over the line.
    It's like, in Superman I can believe a man can fly, but if when he's flying his hair doesn't move and his cape don't flutter, I call bull crap.
    Same thing with Wolverine, I can believe that a dude is super awesome at healing, but I can't believe that two bullets would cause a memory loss.
    It was just too unbelievable.

Seems perfectly believable to me. The physical structure of his brain was healed, but the electrical patterns that make up his memories was scrambled to shit and back.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scientific implausibilities doesn't make a bad comic movie. Batman had em, Ironman had em, ohoho lordy the other x-men films had em. There's plenty to complain about with wolverine but wondering how imaginary bullets in a regenerator cause amnesia is asinine.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so are we assuming the adamantium bullet could penetrate the adamantium covering his skull to get to the brain, or just that the impact of the bullet bouncing off his skull scrambled his brains, and the healing factor wiped those memories?

You gotta think the movie's done something REALLY fuckin wrong if THIS is the key question being turned in people's heads after leaving the theater.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I just assumed they penetrated. If it was just bouncing off, any normal magnum bullet should have the same effect.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

He doesn't need a kryptonite. As the movie itself points out, you could probably kill Wolverine if you decapitated him. There are a bunch of other ways too.

You would still need a way to sever through his Adamantium spine yea? Sooo, not as easy as it seems.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You would still need a way to sever through his Adamantium spine yea? Sooo, not as easy as it seems.

...you are aware that the spine is a series of distinct bones?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I think the game had a better explination on why Logon doesn't remember.
    His girlfriend Kayla is a hypnosis mutant who with physical contact can trick you into anything. After Logan is show in the head he touches him and tells him "I know you want to forget everything, but if you do eventually remember. Remember I love you" then for some reason she just walks into the lake and disappears/drowns never to be seen again. This is also after they used the Weapon-X helmet to try and wipe his memory and shot him in the head with the "magic" bullet.
    Man its sad they had a plausible out for his memory loss starring them in the face

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not only plausible, but a little poignant. This "oops, you got shot in the head" shit is both full of holes and a disservice to how his amnesia affects the character's development.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

A few hundred times. He had layers and layers of implanted memories. It was one of the ways authors generally kept fucking with him. His history was constantly being retconned to his face.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the actors in the movie were pretty damn good.

I think the script and special effects were utter crap.
    Why were Wolverine and Creed selected for the 'team'? In the two missions we see, Wolverine contributes NOTHING and all Creed does is play brute. Actually, the whole 'team' attack on the Nigerian guy's building was way stupid. What happened to teamwork?

The entire first half of the film felt way too rushed. And Ryan Reynolds was way, way underused. I kinda want a Deadpool movie now. But only...
    if they get rid of the arm swords and eyebeams.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

A few hundred times. He had layers and layers of implanted memories. It was one of the ways authors generally kept fucking with him. His history was constantly being retconned to his face.

I think Origins (The comic) established that his memory loss was due to his brain constantly "healing" over itself in order to spare him the memory of traumatic events.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still kinda torn between watching the movie and not. On one hand, nothing I read/heard has made me go out and spend money on the thing, but on the other hand, I really do want a Deadpool/Reynolds movie.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I think Origins (The comic) established that his memory loss was due to his brain constantly "healing" over itself in order to spare him the memory of traumatic events.

I started reading Origins but I just disliked it so much that I never finished it. I really just preferred the whole idea that he had been a secret agent so long and knew where so many bodies where buried that it just became a joke in the spy community to wipe his mind. And it established what his relationship with Sabertooth was. Which kinda removed a layer of the way Sabertooth would always fuck with him.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Its only the bones that are encased in metal. All the cartalidge and ligaments are normal so he can you know...move and not be a immortal living statue. Hell Hulk ripped him in half because the ligaments between the vertabre tore apart.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Victor grabbing John's spine while he teleported
    was a true "holy shit moment"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I started reading Origins but I just disliked it so much that I never finished it. I really just preferred the whole idea that he had been a secret agent so long and knew where so many bodies where buried that it just became a joke in the spy community to wipe his mind. And it established what his relationship with Sabertooth was. Which kinda removed a layer of the way Sabertooth would always fuck with him.

The thing about Origin that sort of bug me was that
    It was never made clear whether Dog was Victor Creed or not.

noir_blood on