As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surfin' the [Chat]way

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I should've known it wouldn't be that easy.

The boss was a summoner.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    See this is why I want to emperically study moral reasoning.

This shit runs the world and nobody questions it properly?

Fuck that shit. I'm going to learn how we do it so we can know if we are being retarded or not. I refuse to accept morals as some untouchable concept they're a thought like any other.
    I remember reading someone who said that the moral lens we view the world through is basically Panglossian. It's the lens which best equips us to deal with the challenges we have been conditioned to in prior experiences, as opposed to an ideal that we choose to take up

so like, morals as a deterministic product on the micro scale

I forget which philosopher, though

I am, in fact, profoundly uninterested in what philosophers have to say about morality.

I'm interested in what the general population believes.

Although I appreciate the discourse I just don't find philosophers thoughts on morality to be a useful starting point.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Don't be evil. It's hard to stop.

Define evil. Morals are what we believe them to be.

Great. The slippery slope. Use however many shades of gray you want to describe the world, you will find that the kind of debauchery you promote only spreads the notion that people cannot and should not trust each other based on the detached nature of physical and emotional intimacy. If we are all left to interpret and decide what constitutes good and bad, or any ethos, then we will cause a fragmented world that is marred by dread and discontent. To be so brazenly unsympathetic is to accept the idea that following some guidelines is outside of your capacity.

Evil is what it is. I can't throw you a definition from a book, well - I could, very easily, but it won't qualify as anything that reaches you. If you wholly believe that the entire spectrum of humanism is based entirely on viewpoint and circumstance then no amount of preaching will make this reply worthwhile. But really ... Morals are not not not NOT NOT NOT

NOT

what we believe them to be.

So you declare me as evil because I don't care that a girl cheats on her boyfriend, even if its not something I'm outwardly searching for.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    good Goshen Megan are you going to sleep all day? I wanna hang ooouuuuut e_e

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Fuck that shit. I'm going to learn how we do it so we can know if we are being retarded or not. I refuse to accept morals as some untouchable concept they're a thought like any other.
    I remember reading someone who said that the moral lens we view the world through is basically Panglossian. It's the lens which best equips us to deal with the challenges we have been conditioned to in prior experiences, as opposed to an ideal that we choose to take up

I am, in fact, profoundly uninterested in what philosophers have to say about morality.

OK

I believe that my morals are those which leave me best equipped to progress functionally through life

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    See now we are talking.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Morales stem from universal ideals and concepts. They are not whatever we believe them to be.

I prefer to trust myself to know the difference between right and wrong, vs. what others think should be. Might I remind you a majority of people in some areas seem to think being gay is morally objectionable. Should I listen to them based purely on the fact it was voted so?

Laws are not inherently moral.

Ahh but what's the difference, when you consider morals are nothing more then things we agree on.

Well for one laws can be arbitrary.

Morals on the other hand tend to always reflect personal safety, integrity, and freedom on the most basic levels. As in a moral complication arises when one person intends to deprive another of (not to be trite) life, liberty, or property. There is also a universal understanding that all individuals wish to obtain happiness on some level and to inhibit a person from achieving such a state without just cause is wrong.

Laws on the other hand can reflect the needs and environment of a society. For example a law that requires a person to put coins in a parking meter most likely reflects the need for upkeep and a need to preserve space/create accessibility. Not really moral at all but resultant of environmental and social factors.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I believe morals evolved through natural selection (on a communal scale not individual) the same way everything else did. They benefit society and are selected for accordingly.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Great. The slippery slope. Use however many shades of gray you want to describe the world, you will find that the kind of debauchery you promote only spreads the notion that people cannot and should not trust each other based on the detached nature of physical and emotional intimacy. If we are all left to interpret and decide what constitutes good and bad, or any ethos, then we will cause a fragmented world that is marred by dread and discontent. To be so brazenly unsympathetic is to accept the idea that following some guidelines is outside of your capacity.

Evil is what it is. I can't throw you a definition from a book, well - I could, very easily, but it won't qualify as anything that reaches you. If you wholly believe that the entire spectrum of humanism is based entirely on viewpoint and circumstance then no amount of preaching will make this reply worthwhile. But really ... Morals are not not not NOT NOT NOT

NOT

So you declare me as evil because I don't care that a girl cheats on her boyfriend, even if its not something I'm outwardly searching for.

When did I call you evil? But yes, if you know a girl has a boyfriend then you shouldn't actively help them cheat. I don't care what you think about the girl and I don't care if you think that absolves you of any wrongdoing. It's a dick move. Dick.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

NOT

Can I translate what you just said?

"Great. A slippery slope.

Watch me make up my own slippery slope argument full of speculation and no facts or evidence and slide around on it hey it's so slippery oh yeah mmmmm oh it's like skiing.

Btw I wont define what I believe in any testable way but I will now repeat my rejection of what you say seven times because that makes it more right."

Oh yeah oh yeah lets troll it up and be childish and oversimplify everything and pretend that our quasi-witty response is oh yeah oh yeah you're responding to a troll oh yeah.

I'm just going to translate what you were trying to do to my post again:

"I'm all cool with my ability to slight you and take a philosophical discussion and slice it down to a pointless quip about rationality and I can kind of maybe interpret your reasoning in the way I saw it because its important you know what I think of you especially because I think negative things about you I am hilarious I swear"

And so you don't have to respond, I will translate what I thought you thought I thought:

"Blah blah teedly tum, spip fibbity dee teedly tum dick teedly tum penis spippen fip fip clever"

Again, Now I will translate you translating what I thought you would think of what I thought you thought:

"ZJOIJEOIZJF;IJFIZ;JF;ZEISJFIA"

YEAH, YOU'RE HILARIOUS.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will ban you all if you continue a moral relativism debate in the chat thread. If you want to discuss it, start up a moral relativism thread and then kill yourselves.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

NOT

No I declared your action as evil because you are willing to recognize and understand the pain that cheating can cause a person yet you are willing to condone and engage in the activity will full knowledge of the outcome.

Although I appreciate the discourse I just don't find philosophers thoughts on morality to be a useful starting point.

That's incredibly myopic. I can't even think of a rationalization for such a faulty thought process.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So much old text. So many quotes. :(

So little fresh words. :(

Ununhexium. :(

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Philosophers more try to dictate morality than observe and comment on it. So yeah, they don't answer your questions.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Than has spoken so I shall not.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God I hate moral relativism so bad, but it’s damn hard to mount a good attack against it unless you want to use god dictated morality. Seriously though, fuck it and its proponents, they’re all a bunch of cunts.

Edit: We all know you haven't got the balls Than, I bet Tube is begging for an excuse to lay into you.

Leitner on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's so much easier to just use "malicious" and "benevolent" instead of "evil" and "good."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's oh so nice of the bank to call me yesterday and tell me that there's been a security breach on my debit card/account and so they're locking it down. Oh, and I should come into my nearest bank branch to get this resolved.

On a weekend.

When all banks are closed.

Thanks BMO, I don't need money for the weekend, nope.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I have less of a problem with what you've said then what Ronald has DUE.

@Than since when are we not allowed to spend a few pages debating something not worthy of a full topic in the chat thread.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    God I hate moral relativism so bad, but it’s damn hard to mount a good attack against it unless you want to use god dictated morality. Seriously though, fuck it and its proponents, they’re all a bunch of cunts.
    Well, that's just your opinion, see.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What an annoying boss. Exploits weakness, then uses Megidola.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks Than.

The debate was good at first but i just got sick of it very very quickly.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    American Mustard is bizarre (the runny, yellow, incredibly mild stuff).

Wholegrain is better.
    Never had wholegrain ... I typically buy what's called Polish Mustard here, it's like an earthier and darker Dijon.

That sounds good. I'm thinking of stuff like French's, which is so mild I've used it in place of mayonnaise when making tuna mayo sandwiches before.
    Yeah the bright yellow mild mustards are a joke. I have no idea how they managed to take off in America how they did. o_O

I blame the baseball-frankfurter complex.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Leitner wrote: »

Seriously.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Arghh when someone says frankfurter it makes me think of franks and beans. <3<3<3

I use ketchup in that, FYI.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have less of a problem with what you've said then what Ronald has DUE.

@Than since when are we not allowed to spend a few pages debating something not worthy of a full topic in the chat thread.

We generally aren't allowed to go on a diatribe about religion in [chat] either.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I wish the browns would hurry up and win so I can go to bed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm not really big on the whole "ownership" aspect of relationships so I guess cheating doesn't really phase me. To me it's just a visible sign of "okay, this relationship is over".

Now, hiding the fact you cheated on someone? That's messed up.

I've always said to japan that he ever even thought about cheating, just to break up with me first. I don't think I could manage to go through that whole "fantastic, I've just founs out that my bf has been sleeping around" thing again.

Basically. I hope my girlfriend finds someone better than me, as it would be proof of a benevolent creator that a person that inexhaustibly magnificent existed. But I mean, I'd really like her to inform me first.

Hell, I assume if he was really awesome, I'd not even have trouble hanging out. I mean, we obviously share good taste in women.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is what I'm talking about btw.

I can see that if I do go into this field it's not something I'll be able to bring up here. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_ethics

Morninglord on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Arghh when someone says frankfurter it makes me think of franks and beans. <3<3<3

I use ketchup in that, FYI.

This is way worse than any drug problems you may have, Oboro.

Ketchup? D:

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    What an annoying boss. Exploits weakness, then uses Megidola.
    I think I remember that one. What sucks is that Megido/la is never all that impressive for your own people. Though I think it was Lucifer/someone that has that ridiculous screen-clearing non-elemental attack, which is awesome.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It amuses me endlessly every time I hear a naturalist believing in morals as something carved into the very nature of the universe.

In a thousand years, people will look back at our generation and say that we were evil, someone will chime up that we were doing what we thoght was good, we just screwed up, and someone will call them a cunt.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I can see that if I do go into this field it's not something I'll be able to bring up here. :P

I can't say anything without diving back into the deep end.

So count me out. Closing comment.

Don't be a dick, it's not cool.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    "You've got to be kind, god dammit."

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Moral relativism thread

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I can't say anything without diving back into the deep end.

So count me out. Closing comment.

Don't be a dick, it's not cool.

Anyone remember that quote from Team America: World Police, about bitches assholes and dicks?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone remember that quote from Team America: World Police, about bitches assholes and dicks?

Now there's a conceit we can all get behind.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Now there's a conceit we can all get behind.

:lol:

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, that was a weak attempt to be the wise Third Way. The political stuff Stone and Parker do is universally weak-sauce.

The important scene in that movie is the 15 minute long puppet sex one.

durandal4532 on
This discussion has been closed.