Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E] Dragondeep (Post-Game Discussion)

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:

Kava's search through the market proves to be as fruitless as she expected. The market proper was closed today, but a passerby noted to her that it would be open tomorrow. The blacksmith's shop was abandoned and vandalized, and probably looted as well. The Ornil Trading Company was also closed and no one was sure why it was closed or when it would be opened again. The Eight Arms was open and saw a steady stream of customers, though the only thing being sold there was cheap food and cheaper alcohol.

The remainder of the evening at the inn is quiet and uneventful. After Danarous' conversation with Agnus and Cheryl the couple heads home, leaving the dining room empty. No one but the party remains in the common room, with Tess and Lonnie walking by occasionally as they attend to their duties with the inn.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kava spends the majority of the two days either tending her equipment, training with her sword, or fraternizing with her comrades at the inn.
    Spoiler:

XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Danarous spends the remainder of his time at the inn reading.
    Spoiler:

• cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Lilliana is going to the Temple of Melora to make a small offering for a safe voyage, and see if there is anything the clergy there can tell her about the spooky stuff that is going down.

Other than that, praying, sparring with Kava, and hanging out.

!ready

• TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To post #54:

B'auw puts up his hand and smiles, as if to say "go no further".

"I understand, and I thank you for looking out for me. I know gnolls are not common around here and many are afraid and unsure. I'm still figuring out how to talk with humans."

For the next two days B'auw mostly sits around, bored. Despite the absence of 'traffic" on the streets, B'auw tries to spark up conversations with the occasional passer-by. Though he comes off rather aggressive, demanding people tell him how they're doing. Few have ever seen a gnoll, much less know their customs, and a couple of kids have run away screaming when they hit B'auw with a ball and he turned around, snarling. Sitting at the bar, people sit at least 3 seats away from him on either side. Human women stay far away from him. He misses the hunt.. but hopefully soon this will be remedied.

!ready

10170-1.png
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ahilgen looks around the room from his corner, where he sits alone nursing a tall mug of water. Sweat beads on his brow as he tries to shut his mind to the increasing noise. Something was here, and didn't want them there. It was making itself known to Ahilgen in a most distressing way. The noise built and built until finally in a fit of rage, Ahilgen screams out "ENOUGH!" and throws his mug across the room. Conversation stops and everyone looks at him, mouths agape.

Apologies. Ahilgen nods to the room and retires to his chamber and begins to meditate, trying to regain his senses. There he stays until summoned.

!ready

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android:Netrunner, FFXIV (PS4), Star Realms
    edited November 2008
    After two largely uneventful days, Dargiss arrives at the inn to collect you. He seems to have warmed up to you somewhat, having seen little trouble in town since your arrival. All Hope seems to be regaining some of its namesake.

You're met at the docks by Mayor Johan and a tall, grim looking man. "This is Captain Derishan," the mayor says, "Captain, these are your heroes."

The captain stands with arms folded, looking each of you up and down. He grunts occasionally, then finally speaks. "Reminds me of my first crew," he says to the mayor, "Ragged bunch they were. Fine seamen though, the lot of them," he pauses for a moment, then laughs. "I s'pose they'll do."

edited November 2008
    Danarous studies the grim figure on the dock and after rechecking that his belt has all the components he may need on their journey he approaches the Captain.

Captain Dargiss, what can you tell us about what we face out there?

edited November 2008
    Kava nods to the man.

"Greetings Captain."

Good, she thinks to herself, now we can be off.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
    edited November 2008
    Lilliana nods to the captain and waits anxiously to hear what they will face out on the sea.

edited December 2008
    "Aye," the captain begins, "I can tell you what's out there." He nods towards his ship, the Free Wind. It is visibly damaged, though still seaworthy. You aren't able to see any of the crew from your vantage point. "Nearly lost her this time. Lost half my crew instead."

Mayor Johan remains silent, looking anxiously between you and Captain Derishan. The captain turns towards his ship and sighs heavily. "We were out on one of the old trade routes," he continues, staring at the weathered wood that has been his life for many, many years. "No one's used it in a long time, we figured no one's looked there either. I wish we hadn't. There were shipwrecks. A dozen if there was one. All packed together, like a pile of bones.

"This ... floating grave is more than a pile of splintered wood. When we tried to get a closer look, the grave tried to draw us in, like it must have done to the others. The Free Wind damn near capsized right there. In the struggle to break away, six of my crew went overboard. After that the vile thing just ... let us go. Like it had been fed.

"There's something evil there, and it's the cause of our troubles. I'm sure of it as I'm sure of my own name."
    He turns back to you, his face as cold as the ocean. "That's where we're going."

Mayor Johan looks at you also. "Oh dear."

edited December 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    "There's something evil there, and it's the cause of our troubles. I'm sure of it as I'm sure of my own name." He turns back to you, his face as cold as the ocean. "That's where we're going."

Good, Kava thinks to herself, then we shouldn't have to waste time searching.

"How long will it take before we are ready to embark Captain?"

-Dr Seuss.
    edited December 2008
    If there is any chance that the lost crew members are still alive we would do well to hurry.

And Danarous thinks to himself that even if there is no chance it would be best to get there soon before others are drawn in.

edited December 2008
    Danarous: Now that you think about it, you do recall reading about a similar occurrence about 30 years ago. There was a desert that saw hundreds of trade caravans disappear over the course of only a year. Anyone who tried to investigate never came back. Eventually the area was abandoned entirely.

edited December 2008
    Danarous remembers a similar situation from his readings and recalls the resolution was not positive. He decides to keep the information to himself for now, but he is now more interested in unraveling this mystery.

edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

10170-1.png
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

-Dr Seuss.
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

10170-1.png
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

"The ship is already stocked," Captain Derishan says with a nod to Mayor Johan. The mayor smiles at you before scurrying off, Dargiss lurching steadily behind him. Derishan turns his attention to you again. "If you have all you need, then we leave now."

Being the always-ready adventurers that you are, you've come prepared, and you follow Captain Derishan aboard the Free Wind. "Mind your hands. I can tell just by the smell of you that you're no sailors, so don't touch anything. Mister Pent," he points to possibly the shortest tiefling you've ever seen, "is my first mate. The rest of the crew is too busy for introductions." His words proved true as you can now see the crew working furiously to make the ship ready to depart again. They look grim and determined, and none of them so much as glance at you.

First Mate Pent approaches you as Captain Derishan walks off toward the bow of the ship, barking orders at the crew on his way. "Alright you lot," he says in a voice like crunching gravel. "Follow me. We'll get your gear stowed and you settled in. Best to have you out of the way right now anyway."

-

Over the next three days, you find the sea to be harsh and unwelcoming. Storms appear out of nowhere to ravage the ship, and disappear as quickly as they arrived. At night, waves toss the Free Wind about as though it were trying to beat the life out of it. As Ahilgen has felt from the moment you stepped into All Hope, something doesn't want you here.

Tonight, however, feels drastically different. A certain kind of quiet has come over the ship and the crew, drawing you out onto the deck. The cold sea air suddenly takes on an acrid scent. As you begin to notice the change in the air, you see a dark purple mist form on the choppy surface of the water. Amid the crashing waves and deep mist, you think you can almost make out shapes and figures. A hand here, a face there, at one point you could swear you saw a child running through the waves. As you turn from the water you hear a faint melody, discordant and unsettling.

"It's near!" one of the sailors cries. Captain Derishan stares at the horizon, his face still. He doesn't turn to his crew, or to you. He simply stares, one hand on the deckrail, one on the pommel of his sword.

edited December 2008
    For Kava it is an unpleasant 3 days. She has never been on a ship before, and the weather did not help the situation. She spent her time blow decks in foul health and fouler mood.

By the time she stepped out on to the deck she was ready curse All Hope, Mayor Johan, and even Kord himself. She gripped the hilt of her blade tightly, eager for a foe she could release her frustrations on.
    It's near!" one of the sailors cries

"Good. Let us strike the heart of this accursed thing and be done with it!" Kava called out.

-Dr Seuss.
    edited December 2008
    Danarous studies the mist and then reaches into a pouch and flings a scattering of glittering dust into the air to see how it reacts.

edited December 2008
    Ahilgen stares deeply into the misty waters, and looks for a creature or beast he recognizes.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen: The water is too dark to see anything beneath the surface. In fact, it is unnaturally dark. The color is off, even with the mist over it. Even the waves seem unnatural, almost manufactured.

Danarous: The mist teems with necromantic energy, though by the way the dust falls through it you can tell it's merely a side effect, not the source of whatever is out here. The shifting shapes in the mist scatter from the dust, then swarm around where it fell as if devouring a corpse. As you continue to stare into the mist, you swear you can see the face of your dead mentor, but before you have a chance to look harder the mist swirls and flows into another shape.

Your reading of the mist doesn't indicate that it's dangerous outright. It seems more likely that it's there to make people uneasy, perhaps even to feed on their fear.

-

As the five of you look up from the water, you can see what was making the crew of the Free Wind so tense. Rising suddenly out of the thick mist, you see what looks like a massive ghost ship. As you draw closer, you realize it's not one ship, but dozens of ships, all wrecked and smashed together into one small island. Staring at the decrepit mass, you realize that the melody has ceased and the mist has stopped moving. The waves have also stopped. The water here is like a thick black glass, absorbing all light rather than reflecting it.

"I'll not take her any closer than this," Captain Derishan says to you. "There's a whaleboat off the starboard side. Take her in, and we'll wait for you here."

edited December 2008
    The voices in Ahilgen's head suddenly go silent, as quiet as the water here. Something was here. Something that didn't need to talk into his mind anymore.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited December 2008
    Lilliana nervously flicks her longsword in and out of its scabbard. She swears she could see the face of the creature she made her pact with in the mist, laughing at her.

Steeling herself against whatever horror awaited her and her companions, she says, Let's go before I lose my nerve.

edited December 2008
    The voyage to the mist was not easy on B'auw either. He's had experience swimming in the past, but that was in lakes and ponds, never in the merciless sea. To see nothing but water in every direction made B'auw feel claustrophobic, not to mention the storms. Nature itself tearing at the ship with walls of water. And the crew with no escape, unable to do anything but hold tight and try to get through it in one piece. Despite the apparent discomfort, B'auw did his best to soak it all in (no pun intended) and enjoy this new experience. Nature's wrath was to be respected! How beautifully the waves crashed down on the man-made decks of the Free Wind. Thousands of them. The wrath of the gods. Yeenoghu's right hand!.. Of course he would feel discomfort. Yes.. This was a sign. The gnoll barks loudly in glee up into the sky. The flashes of lightning reflected in B'auw's eyes and he knew he would taste blood soon, long overdue.

With the storms lulled and the dark mist arising seemingly from just a spot in the sea, B'auw appeared anxious, uneasy and.. strangely happy.. like he was feeding on it. This was it! Finally!.. Vague figures shimmering in the thick mist provoked aggressive barks with B'auw leaning over the edge. His cohorts pulled him back before he got too carried away..

Then the ship comes into view.. Many ships.. A floating graveyard. The concept of death didn't scare gnolls. Many in his clan were known to eat carrion.. though he didn't particularly have a taste for it.. It was the anticipation of battle that made B'auw's teeth clench and drip with saliva.

"Feel it! Do you feel it? I hear it begging for release from this world! It may have devoured a hundred ships but today it will meet its match. Today we will cleanse the weak!"

10170-1.png
    edited December 2008
    The crew watches in silence as you board the small whaleboat. It barely fits your group and your gear, but it holds your weight well enough. First Mate Pent assists you as you shove off from the Free Wind. "Come back alive," is all he says to you.

-

The way into the Floating Grave is no less disturbing for the smooth sailing. You can't help but feel like your oars are sticking slightly in the water, as if the sea is clinging to everything that touches it. The eerie quiet grows more unsettling as you draw closer and closer to the wreckage. The only sounds you can hear are the creaking of the rotting wood ahead of you, and your own small boat sliding through the dark water. All that's visible of the Free Wind now are a few dim lights, distorted by the haze of purple mist.

Ahead, you see an opening in the hull of one of the many derelict ships. It proves large and stable enough to tie up your boat, and you do so. The hole opens to an L-shaped hallway with a few short stairs leading down. The wood is old and rotting, and the smell of mold is heavy in the moist air. Somehow this hallway hasn't flooded with water, though there are small murky puddles littering the floor. At the end of the hallway is a single door, warped and swollen but still functional.
    Spoiler:

edited December 2008
    Danarous waits for the rest of the group to move into the hallway before double checking the rope is secure to the boat and heading in.
    Spoiler:

edited December 2008
    Kava's nerves begin to settle some as they board the Floating Grave, as she knows soon battle will be joined, and her sword and shield will be useful once more. She readies her heavy shield and draws her blade, an smirk upon her face as she stares down the hallway.

"I shall take point, and woe to the first foul foe that crosses our path!"
    Spoiler:

-Dr Seuss.
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen says nothing, but simply falls in line. He is unnerved by the sudden silence in his mind.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited December 2008
    Lilliana will fall in behind Kava, anxious to see what lies beyond the door.

edited December 2008
    B'auw behind Lilliana.

10170-1.png
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

Perception: In the quiet of the hallway, B'auw notices the faint sound of chopping coming from the other side of the door. Someone - or something - is moving in there.

edited December 2008
    B'auw raises his paw and grins.

"I hear something... Our prey is on the other side of this door.. Ready your weapons."
    Spoiler:

10170-1.png
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen draws his dagger, hoping not to need it.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    edited December 2008
    Danarous pulls a small vial of deep red liquid from a pouch and uses it to draw the same symbol as the worn metal pendant around his neck on the inside of his right wrist. Once completed it smolders, smokes, and then disappears leaving a burn mark on the tiefling’s skin.

As he looks up at the rest of the group his eyes normally a shimmering gold turn to a deep red and he says:
    I am ready. May the flame consume all those who stand in our way.

edited December 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    "I hear something... Our prey is on the other side of this door.. Ready your weapons."

"Well then, let's not keep them waiting." and with that Kava kicks open the door with a snarl.
    Spoiler:

-Dr Seuss.
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

The door shatters under Kava's mighty kick, and as she moves into the room the stench of rotting flesh nearly overwhelms her. Fighting off the smell, Kava sees a large eating area and a kitchen, where a blood-stained skeleton wearing a filthy apron and wielding a rusty cleaver stands over a large cutting board. Bodies in various stages of decomposition litter the floor in both the kitchen and the eating area. A deep groove is worn into the cutting board, and on it lay bits of rotting flesh and stale blood.

No sooner do you step into the room than what at first looked like piles of old rags suddenly burst into life as swarms of starving rats rush at you.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Roll Initiative!

edited December 2008