Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E] Dragondeep (Post-Game Discussion)

2456753

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mayor Johan looks surprised, then shrugs. "Well, okay."

    Dargiss hisses slowly, which Kava recognizes as a weary sigh. The mayor beckons you inside, and Dargiss follows you.

    The interior of the town hall is in relatively good shape compared to the exterior. It consists of one long hall with two rooms on either side. The rooms on the right are small offices; empty jail cells sit on the left. Despite the building's impressive size there is no second story. Instead, a vaulted ceiling is held up by massive wooden beams, each beam carved with a relief depicting a variety of classic tales of the high seas.

    Mayor Johan motions to a large table at the end of the main hall, and after you all take your seats, he makes his case. His jovial attitude shifts dramatically as he begins to speak:

    "The Port of All Hope used to be a beautiful place to live. People made their living here, and living was good. It would have been the end of fishing season right now. You wouldn't know it though, would you? A year ago you'd been hard pressed to find room to walk on the road. But not now.

    About a year ago, strange things started happening. Boats would go missing for weeks, then come to port as if nothing had happened. You'd ask the crew where they went, and they'd look at you like you were crazy. A few months later, they stopped coming back at all. Those that did make it back wouldn't go out again. The sailors were all spooked. They'd talk about strange things on the water. Ghost ships. Black water. Some say they heard songs that kept them awake at night.

    The worst of it happened to the Edlayers. That family damn near built this town. Their fishing fleet was the finest on the sea. Then one day it disappeared. The whole damn fleet, and old Dorian's sons with it. The old man hasn't been the same since. Can't say I blame him.

    Everyone is too scared to get back on the water. And no boats means no money for the town. We need you to find what's out there, and put an end to it."

  • cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    Mayor Johan looks surprised, then shrugs. "Well, okay."

    "The Port of All Hope used to be a beautiful place to live. People made their living here, and living was good. It would have been the end of fishing season right now. You wouldn't know it though, would you? A year ago you'd been hard pressed to find room to walk on the road. But not now.

    About a year ago, strange things started happening. Boats would go missing for weeks, then come to port as if nothing had happened. You'd ask the crew where they went, and they'd look at you like you were crazy. A few months later, they stopped coming back at all. Those that did make it back wouldn't go out again. The sailors were all spooked. They'd talk about strange things on the water. Ghost ships. Black water. Some say they heard songs that kept them awake at night.

    The worst of it happened to the Edlayers. That family damn near built this town. Their fishing fleet was the finest on the sea. Then one day it disappeared. The whole damn fleet, and old Dorian's sons with it. The old man hasn't been the same since. Can't say I blame him.

    Everyone is too scared to get back on the water. And no boats means no money for the town. We need you to find what's out there, and put an end to it."

    Lilliana listened intently, despite the alien buzzing in her ears. She began reciting a prayer to Corellon in her head, and the buzzing softened greatly.

    Unless my comrades object, we would be honored to investigate this matter for you. Do you have a ship for us to use? Whatever is causing this must be out on the water.

    Lilliana paused and asked Are there any sailors who returned alive still residing in All Hope? It might help us if we spoke to them about what happened.

  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    B'auw's ears bent back and an unsure expression arose. He looked at Lilliana.

    "If we sail out to sea, you think we will come back alive?"

    Realizing how weak and scared that made him sound, his eyes darted around and he cleared his throat, adding..

    "Of course we will shred any fish opponent limb from limb.. " ..he thinks about that for a second.. "but if the boat sinks we will not have a way to return to shore! Not even I can swim this great distance!.."

    10170-1.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kava listens quietly to B'uaw and Lilliana.

    "It would probably be for the best if you had a ship and a crew that could ferry us out into the unknown, as I don't believe any of us have the makings of great sailors."

    A brief pause, and then she continues.

    "And of course there is the matter of compensation for our services. We are willing to risk our lives to save your town. We are not willing to do it for free."

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mayor Johan lets out a sigh of relief. You couldn't tell outside, but here in the light of the hall he looks very, very tired. "I can't tell you how much this means to me. To us. All Hope has seen better days, but it hasn't been abandoned yet. Your arrival is testament to that." He puts his hands together and nods to Dargiss, who leaves the hall through a side door.

    "Right then. Down to business. There is a boat for you, and a captain and crew to go with it. Captain Derishan and the Free Wind are out at sea right now, trying to find any traces of the lost ships. They're the last men brave enough to do so. We expect them back in two days, provided they haven't been lost themselves.

    Dargiss is bringing word to the Longshore that you'll be staying there at no charge. The local merchants will also be instructed to provide you with whatever you need. As far as payment goes, we're a small town with not much left, but we'll give you all we can when you get back."


    He stands and smiles at all of you. "Thank you again. I'll send for you in two days."
    Spoiler:

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After leaving the town hall Danarous makes his way to the Longshore. He would have liked to know just what they were getting as reward for taking on this task, but free food and lodging for two days would be welcome after camping out in the wilderness these past few days.

    Upon arriving at the inn Danarous requests a meal and settles in beside the fire place. The food is adequate but the wine is above par. He settles in and begins reading a small book he bought in the last town. It is a hero’s tale of a young knight out to slay a dragon. It is light reading but it has some interesting subplots.

    As night gathers and the rest of his companions arrive in the inn Danarous decides they need some entertainment and sets to casting a small spell upon the fireplace.

    The flames grow larger and a female figure forms within. The captivating form dances seductively as if beckoning the watcher into her embrace.

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Accepting Mayor Johan's offer, Kava will browse the local merchants to see if they have any weapons or armor better than her own. (She highly doubts this will be the case at any rate, but she'll look).

    Once that is done, she'll retire to the inn and cavort with her comrades.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ahilgen stands in the doorway watching Danarous read. He is amused by his flame-dancer, and more than content to have something to focus on that isn't demonspeak in his mind.
    Spoiler:

    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The gnoll pushes Ahilgen to the side as he walks through the doorway, licking his paws and his lips. The fur around his maw still wet.

    "They refuse to give me any more chickens."

    His canine eyes notice the fiery figure twisting her body to and fro. The murky room made the temptress stand out that much more and reflect in those large beady gnoll eyes, reflecting bright red. His eyes looked like they were on fire in the dark doorway. He grins and yips.

    "So this is how human males entertain themselves when no women are available."

    10170-1.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:

    The Longshore Inn, though old, is warm and comfortable. The owner of the inn, Lonnie Doume, and her daughter Tess have proven to be gracious hosts. There are no other guests in the inn, so each of you has been given a separate room on the second floor. Your rooms consist of a bed, desk, and empty wardrobe.

    The common room, where you're currently relaxing, doubles as the dining room. A handful of people come and go for dinner, and most of them stare at you and whisper to each other. The others try not to stare at you while whispering. Lonnie and Tess don't seem to be phased by your presence. They are friendly to all of you (even B'auw), and will strike up a conversation should you choose.

    Perception: Most of the patrons underestimate your hearing, and you can make out much of what they say to each other. While a few make comments about your group looking like more trouble than you're worth, most of them seem hopeful that you'll be able to help the town. News has spread fast, and everyone is aware that you've spoken to the mayor and taken up his quest.

    At one point in the evening, an older gentleman mentions in hushed tones to his wife something about "Captain Doume", and "what he might have done in this situation". She whispers something in a harsh tone to him while glancing in Lonnie's direction, and he grumbles about "not meaning any harm by it".

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Danarous waves down Tess.

    This wine is wonderful. Could I get another bottle before I retire for the night?

    Tess seems happy to help and when she returns with the fresh bottle Danarous gives her several silvers as a tip and then makes his way to the table where the elderly couple is sitting.

    I don’t mean to intrude but I am new in town and was hoping to have a bit of company.

    He looks over his shoulder at B’auw then back at the couple.

    My companions are not always known for stimulating conversation and I have brought a bottle of wine that I thought you could help me empty.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Oh yes, we know about you," the old man says. "Whole town is talking about it. We don't get as many of your kind as we used to."

    "Oh what was the name of that tiefling that you knew honey?"
    the woman asks.

    "What one? Nort?"
    The man looks confused.

    "No the other one, from the war."

    "I didn't know any tieflings from the war. Are you sure you don't mean Nort?"

    "Nort is an elf, Angus. It's not Nort."

    "Well who is it then?"


    "That's what I'm asking you!" The couple continues bickering for some time, finally deciding that it was an eladrin that Angus bought a horse from a few years ago. Both he and his wife Cheryl seem satisfied with that conclusion, although neither can remember his name.

  • cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Prior to post #51:

    OOC: Liliana will just head to the inn and chill with her new running crew prior to any new events.

    Now:

    Lilliana orders a simple meal from the waitress and approaches B’auw.

    No offense back there, B’auw. I was trying to make sure the mayor knew you weren't planning on eating him.

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Danarous watches the old couple bicker with a bit of amusement. Once they are finished he decides to probe a bit on what he had overheard.

    In my travels I have heard that there were several excellent sea captains from All Hope though the town seems a bit empty now. My friends and I will be doing everything we can to help out, but it sure would be nice to speak with someone who knows the waters out there.

    Any idea of someone like that around town?

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Oh, there are plenty of sailors here," Angus replies. "Drunks, the lot of them."

    "Oh don't be such an old man," Cheryl says.

    Angus waves his hand at his wife, dismissing her comments. "These days, there's only one captain still worthy of the title. Captain Derishan, of the Free Wind. He's even out there right now, looking for all our lost ships."

    "Brave man, that Derishan," Cheryl interjects.

    "There used to be more men like him, but most of them have been lost. Of course no one was like old Captain Doume. A shame what happened to him."

    "Lower your voice honey."

    Angus leans in and lowers his voice. "Captain Doume was the finest seaman All Hope had ever seen. No man had such presence, nor as fast a ship. He built quite a bit of wealth for himself, and this town too. I could hardly believe it when word came in that he was lost at sea. Got taken by pirates, so they say. Poor Lonnie here was left alone with the inn, and Tess of course. That Tess, she loved her daddy. She wanted to be just like him, but Lonnie wouldn't have none of it. Said she wasn't old enough. 'Course by the time she was, the captain was gone. I suppose her dreams went with him."

    "What a shame," Cheryl says, shaking her head.

    Angus sighs and leans back. "Anyway, I guess you could ask Derishan about things when he gets back. Should be just a few days now. Anyone knows anything about what's out there, it's him."

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Upon getting the info he was looking for Danarous finishes his conversation and the wine. He then returns to his fellow adventurers to pass along the tale of the inn keepers lost husband.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:

    Kava's search through the market proves to be as fruitless as she expected. The market proper was closed today, but a passerby noted to her that it would be open tomorrow. The blacksmith's shop was abandoned and vandalized, and probably looted as well. The Ornil Trading Company was also closed and no one was sure why it was closed or when it would be opened again. The Eight Arms was open and saw a steady stream of customers, though the only thing being sold there was cheap food and cheaper alcohol.

    The remainder of the evening at the inn is quiet and uneventful. After Danarous' conversation with Agnus and Cheryl the couple heads home, leaving the dining room empty. No one but the party remains in the common room, with Tess and Lonnie walking by occasionally as they attend to their duties with the inn.

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kava spends the majority of the two days either tending her equipment, training with her sword, or fraternizing with her comrades at the inn.
    Spoiler:

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Danarous spends the remainder of his time at the inn reading.
    Spoiler:

  • cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Lilliana is going to the Temple of Melora to make a small offering for a safe voyage, and see if there is anything the clergy there can tell her about the spooky stuff that is going down.

    Other than that, praying, sparring with Kava, and hanging out.

    !ready

  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To post #54:

    B'auw puts up his hand and smiles, as if to say "go no further".

    "I understand, and I thank you for looking out for me. I know gnolls are not common around here and many are afraid and unsure. I'm still figuring out how to talk with humans."

    For the next two days B'auw mostly sits around, bored. Despite the absence of 'traffic" on the streets, B'auw tries to spark up conversations with the occasional passer-by. Though he comes off rather aggressive, demanding people tell him how they're doing. Few have ever seen a gnoll, much less know their customs, and a couple of kids have run away screaming when they hit B'auw with a ball and he turned around, snarling. Sitting at the bar, people sit at least 3 seats away from him on either side. Human women stay far away from him. He misses the hunt.. but hopefully soon this will be remedied.

    !ready

    10170-1.png
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ahilgen looks around the room from his corner, where he sits alone nursing a tall mug of water. Sweat beads on his brow as he tries to shut his mind to the increasing noise. Something was here, and didn't want them there. It was making itself known to Ahilgen in a most distressing way. The noise built and built until finally in a fit of rage, Ahilgen screams out "ENOUGH!" and throws his mug across the room. Conversation stops and everyone looks at him, mouths agape.

    Apologies. Ahilgen nods to the room and retires to his chamber and begins to meditate, trying to regain his senses. There he stays until summoned.

    !ready

    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After two largely uneventful days, Dargiss arrives at the inn to collect you. He seems to have warmed up to you somewhat, having seen little trouble in town since your arrival. All Hope seems to be regaining some of its namesake.

    You're met at the docks by Mayor Johan and a tall, grim looking man. "This is Captain Derishan," the mayor says, "Captain, these are your heroes."

    The captain stands with arms folded, looking each of you up and down. He grunts occasionally, then finally speaks. "Reminds me of my first crew," he says to the mayor, "Ragged bunch they were. Fine seamen though, the lot of them," he pauses for a moment, then laughs. "I s'pose they'll do."

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Danarous studies the grim figure on the dock and after rechecking that his belt has all the components he may need on their journey he approaches the Captain.

    Captain Dargiss, what can you tell us about what we face out there?

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kava nods to the man.

    "Greetings Captain."

    Good, she thinks to herself, now we can be off.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Lilliana nods to the captain and waits anxiously to hear what they will face out on the sea.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Aye," the captain begins, "I can tell you what's out there." He nods towards his ship, the Free Wind. It is visibly damaged, though still seaworthy. You aren't able to see any of the crew from your vantage point. "Nearly lost her this time. Lost half my crew instead."

    Mayor Johan remains silent, looking anxiously between you and Captain Derishan. The captain turns towards his ship and sighs heavily. "We were out on one of the old trade routes," he continues, staring at the weathered wood that has been his life for many, many years. "No one's used it in a long time, we figured no one's looked there either. I wish we hadn't. There were shipwrecks. A dozen if there was one. All packed together, like a pile of bones.

    "This ... floating grave is more than a pile of splintered wood. When we tried to get a closer look, the grave tried to draw us in, like it must have done to the others. The Free Wind damn near capsized right there. In the struggle to break away, six of my crew went overboard. After that the vile thing just ... let us go. Like it had been fed.

    "There's something evil there, and it's the cause of our troubles. I'm sure of it as I'm sure of my own name."
    He turns back to you, his face as cold as the ocean. "That's where we're going."

    Mayor Johan looks at you also. "Oh dear."

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    "There's something evil there, and it's the cause of our troubles. I'm sure of it as I'm sure of my own name." He turns back to you, his face as cold as the ocean. "That's where we're going."

    Good, Kava thinks to herself, then we shouldn't have to waste time searching.

    "How long will it take before we are ready to embark Captain?"

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If there is any chance that the lost crew members are still alive we would do well to hurry.

    And Danarous thinks to himself that even if there is no chance it would be best to get there soon before others are drawn in.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Danarous: Now that you think about it, you do recall reading about a similar occurrence about 30 years ago. There was a desert that saw hundreds of trade caravans disappear over the course of only a year. Anyone who tried to investigate never came back. Eventually the area was abandoned entirely.

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Danarous remembers a similar situation from his readings and recalls the resolution was not positive. He decides to keep the information to himself for now, but he is now more interested in unraveling this mystery.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

    10170-1.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

    10170-1.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoiler:

    "The ship is already stocked," Captain Derishan says with a nod to Mayor Johan. The mayor smiles at you before scurrying off, Dargiss lurching steadily behind him. Derishan turns his attention to you again. "If you have all you need, then we leave now."

    Being the always-ready adventurers that you are, you've come prepared, and you follow Captain Derishan aboard the Free Wind. "Mind your hands. I can tell just by the smell of you that you're no sailors, so don't touch anything. Mister Pent," he points to possibly the shortest tiefling you've ever seen, "is my first mate. The rest of the crew is too busy for introductions." His words proved true as you can now see the crew working furiously to make the ship ready to depart again. They look grim and determined, and none of them so much as glance at you.

    First Mate Pent approaches you as Captain Derishan walks off toward the bow of the ship, barking orders at the crew on his way. "Alright you lot," he says in a voice like crunching gravel. "Follow me. We'll get your gear stowed and you settled in. Best to have you out of the way right now anyway."

    -

    Over the next three days, you find the sea to be harsh and unwelcoming. Storms appear out of nowhere to ravage the ship, and disappear as quickly as they arrived. At night, waves toss the Free Wind about as though it were trying to beat the life out of it. As Ahilgen has felt from the moment you stepped into All Hope, something doesn't want you here.

    Tonight, however, feels drastically different. A certain kind of quiet has come over the ship and the crew, drawing you out onto the deck. The cold sea air suddenly takes on an acrid scent. As you begin to notice the change in the air, you see a dark purple mist form on the choppy surface of the water. Amid the crashing waves and deep mist, you think you can almost make out shapes and figures. A hand here, a face there, at one point you could swear you saw a child running through the waves. As you turn from the water you hear a faint melody, discordant and unsettling.

    "It's near!" one of the sailors cries. Captain Derishan stares at the horizon, his face still. He doesn't turn to his crew, or to you. He simply stares, one hand on the deckrail, one on the pommel of his sword.

  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For Kava it is an unpleasant 3 days. She has never been on a ship before, and the weather did not help the situation. She spent her time blow decks in foul health and fouler mood.

    By the time she stepped out on to the deck she was ready curse All Hope, Mayor Johan, and even Kord himself. She gripped the hilt of her blade tightly, eager for a foe she could release her frustrations on.
    It's near!" one of the sailors cries

    "Good. Let us strike the heart of this accursed thing and be done with it!" Kava called out.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Danarous studies the mist and then reaches into a pouch and flings a scattering of glittering dust into the air to see how it reacts.

  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen stares deeply into the misty waters, and looks for a creature or beast he recognizes.

    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen: The water is too dark to see anything beneath the surface. In fact, it is unnaturally dark. The color is off, even with the mist over it. Even the waves seem unnatural, almost manufactured.

    Danarous: The mist teems with necromantic energy, though by the way the dust falls through it you can tell it's merely a side effect, not the source of whatever is out here. The shifting shapes in the mist scatter from the dust, then swarm around where it fell as if devouring a corpse. As you continue to stare into the mist, you swear you can see the face of your dead mentor, but before you have a chance to look harder the mist swirls and flows into another shape.

    Your reading of the mist doesn't indicate that it's dangerous outright. It seems more likely that it's there to make people uneasy, perhaps even to feed on their fear.

    -

    As the five of you look up from the water, you can see what was making the crew of the Free Wind so tense. Rising suddenly out of the thick mist, you see what looks like a massive ghost ship. As you draw closer, you realize it's not one ship, but dozens of ships, all wrecked and smashed together into one small island. Staring at the decrepit mass, you realize that the melody has ceased and the mist has stopped moving. The waves have also stopped. The water here is like a thick black glass, absorbing all light rather than reflecting it.

    "I'll not take her any closer than this," Captain Derishan says to you. "There's a whaleboat off the starboard side. Take her in, and we'll wait for you here."

Sign In or Register to comment.