Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E] Dragondeep (Post-Game Discussion)

13468953

Posts

  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Staff of Defense:
    As a readied action for the rest of the encounter if an attack hits Danarous and the roll exceeded a defense by 2 or less he will activate his “Staff of Defense” as an immediate interrupt nullifying the attack.

    Dajian on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With his enemies finally taking note of him, B'auw decides to get right in the mess of things and jumps into the crowd of monsters, flailing his claws at everyone around him. Blood and zombie tissue starts flying up into the air.
    B'auw, not moving, uses Rabid Wolverine Strike to hit all enemies in burst1 (G1, Z1, G2)

    1d20+6=11, 1d6+3=6, 1d20+6=20, 1d6+3=7, 1d20+6=23, 1d6+3=9

    Miss on G1, but hits Z1 and G2 for 7 and 9 damage respectively.

    Z1 takes 7 damage bringing it down to 5
    G2 takes 9 damage bringing it down to.. well.. killing it, I assume. Fuck y'all!

    TheBog on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shuffling through the remains of the dead rat, the second zombie lunges at B'auw, grasping him with unnatural strength. The other zombie attempts to do the same thing to Kava, and succeeds.

    The last remaining rat bites at B'auw, but can't pierce his armor.
    Zombie 2 (Z2)-
    Move: B4 to C4
    Standard: Zombie Grab vs. B'auw (16) Hit! - B'auw is now grabbed (until escape). B'auw is immobilized and must make an Athletics check vs. Fortitude or an Acrobatics check vs. Reflex to escape. These checks are made at a -5 penalty.

    Zombie 1 (Z1)-
    Standard: Zombie Grab vs. Kava (19) Hit! - Kava is now grabbed (until escape). Kava is immobilized and must make an Athletics check vs. Fortitude or an Acrobatics check vs. Reflex to escape. These checks are made at a -5 penalty.

    Giant Rat 1 (G1)-
    Standard: Bite vs. B'auw (11) Miss!

    Next turn: Danarous

    Denada on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a chance to hit a friend when attacking the zombie that is grabbing them?

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seeing the zombies latch onto his companions Danarous focuses on an area just behind the enemies and once again with a single word a slick black flame erupts from the ground falling on the creatures’ backs. The Rat and Zombie gripping Kava are reduced to an unnatural pile of smoldering ash. While the zombie clinging to B'auw has nearly all the flesh on its back incinerated.
    Standard: Scorching Burst @B3
    Damage; Atk vs G1; Atk vs Z1 (bloodied); Atk vs Z2 (1d6+6=7, 1d20+6=19, 1d20+7=11, 1d20+6=25)
    G1 – Hit – DEAD
    Z1 – Hit – DEAD
    Z2 – Hit – 25/40

    Dajian on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lilliana's hands crackle with black electricity as she tries to end the "life" of this poor wretch. With a surge of speed, she looses two bolts of dark energy at the creature. The blasts take their toll, but the undead stays on its feet.
    Standard: Eldritch Blast Z2

    Hit for 11 Damage

    Action Point: Standard: Eldritch Blast Z2

    Hit for 11 Damage

    Z2: 3/40

    cytorak on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit- Okay, since I goofed and Kava is free, we'll try something different...

    Drawing in a deep breath, Kava roars a jet of fire, covering a good chunk of the room, and scorching the zombie grasping B'auw in the process.
    Since best as I can tell all the other bad guys are dead Kava will place it so she catched Z2 on the edge but misses everyone else.

    17 to hit vs Ref, 3 fire damage.. (man, talk about punking the damage, but at least it's just enough to finish him off)

    Snake Gandhi on
    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With a roar Kava rips out of the zombies grip, then turns and faces it.

    Unless I'm misreading what's what, Z1, the one holding Kava, is dead and the one holding B’auw (the one I just nearly melted) is almost dead.

    cytorak on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's correct. I can see how it might be a little confusing since they criss-crossed. SG, you can edit your post to change Kava's action.

    I can also see that I need to ramp up the difficulty of these encounters. You guys roll like nobody's business.

    Denada on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OOC: Edited. Sorry about that.

    Snake Gandhi on
    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen looks around.

    Too easy.

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With one last burst of fire, your enemies are reduced to little more than charred flesh and bone. It certainly doesn't help the smell, that's for sure.
    Well done! That's 70 XP for each of you. Feel free to search the room, etc.

    Denada on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    B'auw stands still for a moment.. nothing but charred flesh remaining.. including half a torso of a burning zombie on his back.. He picks his arm off of his shoulder and lets the thing drop to the floor, making a disgusted face.

    Nodding at everyone with a slight smile, the gnoll observes the floor, kicking bodies aside, seeing if there's anything worthwhile.

    Perception check. B'auw searches the room, kicking open crates, whatnought.
    1d20+9=21

    TheBog on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now that the action is over Danarous once gain grasps one of his medallions, concentrates, and when his eyes open they return to their golden color. He makes his way to the center of the room and concentrates on picking out any magical energies in the room.

    Dajian on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    B'auw: Your keen senses detect a peculiar odor coming from the center of the room. You look closer and notice that the floor is worn down here more than everywhere else. Through the various cracks and holes in the floorboards you see a pit, probably about 8 feet deep. It smells absolutely horrid, even for you.

    Just as Danarous is about to step onto one of the rotten floorboards you stop him, informing him gruffly that he was about to fall into a trap.
    Close one! An additional 30 XP for everyone.

    Danarous: Perhaps it's because you already know what you're looking for, or perhaps it's because you're getting closer to the source. Whatever the reason, the magic energies in the room reveal themselves to you as plain as writing on parchment.

    You detect the same latent necrotic energy as you did in the dining hall. But now you see that the energy is in a much more defined pattern than you previously though. There is clearly a ritual being worked here, dark and ancient, and someone is performing it right now.

    But that isn't all. Among the dark magic flowing through this place you see a different kind of energy, something not of this world. It's shape and flow are entirely foreign to your understanding of how magic works. It seems vaguely demonic, though in all your time in the Order you've never seen anything like it.

    Denada on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Danarous lost in thought is surprised by the gnolls sudden intervention. Upon regaining his focus he thanks the gnoll and relays what he has discovered.


    Thank you B’auw. I fear I was lost in thought.

    My friends I have felt something very dire. There is some sort of ritual being performed here and it is yielding something unlike anything I have encountered. We would do well to make haste and stop this before it progresses to a point that we will no longer be able to contain.
    Did we get an action point after that fight?

    Dajian on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes, sorry, forgot about that. That was fight #2 without an extended rest, so you have reached a milestone and each receive one action point.

    Denada on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like that gnolls have 7 move speed...

    Lets continue kicking ass, ladies and gentlemen.

    TheBog on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gonna go ahead and move things along. You can post conversation and what-not if you'd like, we'll just assume you said it either here or in the hallway.

    Your party looks over the room thoroughly, finding nothing of value. Dead rats, burnt corpses, and rotten food create a stench that none of you are sorry to leave.

    Back in the hallway, your progress north meets the other door that you investigated earlier.

    Denada on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    B'auw looks it over carefully and presses his ear to it to see if his acute hearing can pick anything up.. Though realistically anything aware of its surroundings would've heard the racket they created.
    Perception check. Seeing if I can make out anything on the other side..
    1d20+9=27

    TheBog on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's very faint, but you think you might hear something on the other side. It's some kind of liquid sound, like bubbling water. It's infrequent, but you're fairly certain it's there. It's no wonder you missed it before.

    Denada on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He looks back over his shoulder at the rest of the party and motions them forward with his bloody paw...

    B'auw tries to open the door as quietly and carefully as possible, sneaking a peek at what could possibly be in the room, sticking his head in..
    Stealth check I assume.
    1d20+2=21
    Ha-ha! Hot damn.

    TheBog on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Give me 1d20 Bog, no modifiers.

    Denada on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha. Here's your 1d20.
    1d20=3

    TheBog on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You position yourself in front of the door, crouched low, lifting the door's weight slightly so that the hinges won't squeak. You silently open it an inch, almost two, when suddenly the floor buckles and the door falls off the frame, taking you with it.

    You land with a resounding thud on hard stone and look up to see that the floor here has been eaten away, creating the pit that you're now in. You don't see any way to easily climb out, but you do see what caused the predicament you're in. On the other side of the pit is a bubbling mass of orange-brown goo, nearly ten feet in diameter, currently occupied with dissolving the remains of a dead sailor. Although it doesn't have eyes, you get the distinct impression that it's looking right at you.
    B'auw takes 4 damage from the fall.

    Roll Initiative!

    Denada on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Initiative! (1d20+1=17)

    Now that's more like it!

    PS- My character sheet had Ahilgen with no action points going into this round. I gave him one for the milestone... but I don't remember using it in the previous fight/s. Did I forget to populate that field the first time?

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably. I don't recall you using one.

    Denada on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watching the gnoll fall face first off the edge Danarous quickly retraces the symbol he drew earlier on his wrist and his eyes switch back to a deep red color.

    He thinks: Despite the strain I think I might have to maintain my readiness from here out.

    Dajian on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hahah! Initiative roll! Critical fail! 1d20+3=4

    TheBog on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Snake Gandhi on
    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Important notes about this area:

    -You can move in partial squares, just not the tiny little corners or the slivers on the sides. If you're not sure, just post what you think you can do and I'll make you edit if you're wrong.

    -The pit is 10 feet deep. An Athletics check (DC 20) is required to climb out. This is considered a move action.

    -Don't want to jump into the pit? Make an Athletics check (DC 12 for the left side, 15 for the right) to leap over to the sides. This is a move action. If you fail, you will fall into the pit and take falling damage.

    -You can slide into the pit as a move action with an Athletics check (DC 10). You will take half damage from the fall if you fail.


    Round 1
    Map:
    thepit-round1.jpg

    Initiative Order:
    Ahilgen - 17
    Kava - 10
    Ochre Jelly - 7
    Lilliana - 6
    B'auw - 4
    Danarous - 3

    Party Status:
    B'auw - HP 25/29
    Kava - HP 28/28
    Ahilgen - HP 24/24
    Lilliana - HP 24/24
    Danarous - HP 24/24

    Enemy Status:
    Ochre Jelly - HP 102/102 - AC 18; Fort 16; Ref 14; Will 14

    Not even a master thief could have prevented the noise made by B'auw falling into the pit. If there's anything alive nearby, it probably heard it. You have no time to waste thinking about that though, as B'auw is now trapped in a pit with a bubbling, very deadly-looking ooze.

    Next turn: Ahilgen

    Denada on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From the doorway can I see anywhere not inside the pit that a rope could be tied onto?

    Since I will be last through is there a J4 square (in the doorway) and would I have LoS to the jelly from there?

    Dajian on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dajian wrote: »
    From the doorway can I see anywhere not inside the pit that a rope could be tied onto?

    Since I will be last through is there a J4 square (in the doorway) and would I have LoS to the jelly from there?

    It would be possibly to tie off a rope somewhere on the side and drop it down. There aren't any spots made just for it though. Setting up the rope would be a standard action.

    You can stay in J4, and you would have line of sight/effect into the pit from there.

    Denada on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ahilgen can't see B'auw from his vantage point in the hallway, but he can see the top of the semi-viscous mass threatening him. The noise and adrenaline from B'auw's fall into the pit forces Ahilgen to lose his focus for a moment. In that moment, whichever powers that vie for control over his abilities get the better of him. His feet rise off the ground and he flies through the air and over the pit, landing on the edge above the jelly. Ahilgen's eyes darken over and guttural speech comes from deep within his throat.

    E'thok narhul nar'gah turook kthur, Vecna

    Ewan's mouth opens wide and a dark bolt fires from it. When the bolt comes into contact with the jelly it disperses into a cloud, consuming nearly the entire pit and continues to thicken for a few seconds. It envelops B'auw, and becoms so thick that he has no choice but to breathe it in. Ewan doubles over, spitting out nonsense for a few seconds then bolts upright and speaks again in demontongue.

    Drek f'kuh B'jul

    Ahilgen raises both arms towards the jelly and mystical energy gathers between them, reaching critical mass and finally releasing towards it. Just as the ball of energy reaches the jelly, a hole opens in its middle and the energy passes through it, hitting the wall on the far side and dispersing into shadow.

    Ahilgen falls to his knees and mumbles loudly in gutterspeak.
    Move Action: Athletics check (1d20=17) (flavor edited), to G3.
    Standard Action: Divine Glow (1d20+4=19) Hit! Divine Glow damage (1d8+4+1=7)
    Minor Action: Internal attempt to resist the dark powers controlling him (self-assigned curse, DC 10. ON fail, must use an action point as the darkness controls him. On success, regains self-control) Regain Control (1d20=5) fail!
    Action Point: Lance of Faith (Dark) (1d20+4=10) miss

    Next Up: Kava

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't have any problem with the flavor or your curse. But the Ochre Jelly isn't undead, so you can't turn it. Go ahead and edit your post since I'm sure you don't want to brandish your (un)holy symbol at it for nothing. If that changes your subsequent actions, you can edit those also.

    Denada on
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Durrr.

    Ok, I kept the same to-hit roll because the Jelly's Will and Ref are the same, and I re-rolled damage. B'auw will gain +2 to his attack rolls until the end of my turn, and everything else should stay the same (Jelly does not move, nor is immobilized.)

    TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That'll work.

    Next turn: Kava

    Denada on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok as a DM tell me if I can do this.
    On my turn I'd like to conjure a mage hand to carry a rope to G6 and have it tie off so anyone trapped in the pit will be able to climb up out of it with the aid of the rope.

    Mage hand says it can move an object up to 5 squares and manipulate an object as a minor.

    So I was thinking.
    Minor: cast
    Standard: tie off

    Let me know what you think.

    Also I am about to leave for something at work but will be back at ~11 EST so I'll post my action then.

    Dajian on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Reacting without thought Kava slides down the pit edge, then in a burst of action drives towards the creature and buries her sword deep inside it, stifling it's movement for a time.
    Athletics check of 17 to slide down in to the pit.

    Kava will then use her standard action to take another move action, moving to E5. Then she'll spend an Action Point to use Steel Serpent Strike on the ooze.

    24 to hit AC, 17 damage, and the ooze can't shift till the end of Kava's next turn.

    Ochre Jelly - HP 85/102 - AC 18; Fort 16; Ref 14; Will 14 (marked)

    Snake Gandhi on
    XBL: That Stone Dude
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, as those that matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter."
    -Dr Seuss.
13468953
Sign In or Register to comment.