Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

13567

Posts

  • Element BrianElement Brian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    theclam wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about this:
    http://www.finallyequal.com/

    Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

    Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

    edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

    Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

    Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

    Third, the art direction in that film looks pretty good.

    Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

    Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

    Hmm, as important as it would be to stay true and only have it end with the kiss and...effects. I'll be kind of disapointed now not to see it as a full length feature film. I think they could really take the story somewhere great while remaining true to the message.

    edit: especially since they've already done the short version with Sean Astin

    I like the idea of the carbonation in your pop being too much for your mormon body

    too worldly nooooo
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of Vonnegut, have you guys seen Breakfast of Champions?

    I'm curious as to what people who actually read the book think about it.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't. I haven't even seen Slaughterhouse Five, though. Two of my favorite books, too.

    !! ! ! !!
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

    I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.

    The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one

    Ang Lee's Hulk has it's problems but if you ask me it's a pretty good comic book movie.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh!

    I am delighted to add that the new Punisher movie is getting worse reviews than the last one.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked the first Punisher movie but the trailers for this new one.... is this a sequel or a reboot? It looks nothing like the first movie. It just looks like generic action trash.

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

    I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.

    The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one
    You're wrong, stupid, and ugly.

    The new Hulk was pretty good if a bit silly. Beat the hell out of the one before it, Christ was that a snoozer.

    3DS Friend Code: 0817-5033-8184 // Nintendo Network ID: AbsoluteZero
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couple of stills from the new Street Fighter movie were released this week.

    Here are two of the "best" shots.

    8383SF1.JPG

    4288SF2.JPG


    While the original SF movie was so bad it's good, I'm afraid this one will take itself seriously and just be bad.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

    Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might check out Punisher, especially if I can talk some friends into tagging along.

    Definately seeing The Day the Earth Stood Still.

    sigtwo.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

    Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

    Greatest line ever.

    scale3nk0.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    The Day The Earth Stood Still is so dissapointing to me. I read the plot summary and it's a shell of the original plot. Did Bruckheimer produce it and Bay direct it or something? It read, and trailered, like they went away from the thought provoking plot to "BOOM! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! WOOO!"

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Punisher is riskier. It'll either be great or crap. The last one was fine, but forgettable.

    11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    theclam wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about this:
    http://www.finallyequal.com/

    Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

    Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

    edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

    Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

    Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

    Third, the art direction in that film looks pretty good.

    Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

    Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

    Nice that they're making it a short film - the trailer almost summed up the whole story.

    Man, the trailer gave me exactly the same sense of depression that the story did. Actually, everything in the trailer looked exactly the way I pictured it back in 7th grade or whenever I first read that story. I'm not sure whether that's a testament to Vonnegut's writing or the director or both, but damn, that trailer gave me chills. I probably would have recognized it in the first 5 seconds if I didn't know that it was an adaptation beforehand.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some big news coming down the pipe:

    Catherine Hardwicke will not be directing the Twilight sequel, New Moon.

    This is a big deal, as Hardwicke was one of the few female directors in Hollywood and now has the highest grossing film ever released by a female director with Twilight.

    There's gonna be some backlash to this as this comes down to the (arguably) most successful female director getting fired.


    On another note: Batman hits DVD tomorrow. Is anyone going to hit Best Buy up for their midnight release? I am.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    On another note: Batman hits DVD tomorrow. Is anyone going to hit Best Buy up for their midnight release? I am.

    My copy of the special edition should be en route from Amazon shortly.

    *glee*

    sigtwo.png
  • RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    i searched for slumdog on the entire forums
    there are only a handful of posts
    guys, you need to see this movie
    It would be tough for most, as it is only a limited release and has been out for a few weeks.
    :| ah well

    I saw Slumdog Millionaire this weekend (only one theater in all of Dallas showing it, the Angelika). Amazing film. It's about Jamal, a guy who works at a call center in India that goes on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He makes it very far on the show, and is suspected of cheating. The movie takes you through his life story, revealing how he knew the answers to the questions. Everything works in this film - the casting, the music, the way scenes are set up and presented. If it comes your way, make an effort to see it.

  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    So, Let the Right One In. Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen a more mind blowing last scene.
    Spoiler:

    One of the best movies of the year for sure.

    Spoiler:

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are there any interviews with Ledger in Dark Knight's special features? That's practically a selling point if so.

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

    Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

    Greatest line ever.

    I'll see you that and raise you

    "Quick! Change the channel!"

  • reVersereVerse Never odd or even Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The original Street Fighter movie was excellent. I doubt this'll live up to its standards.

    Raul Julia wrote:
    For me, it was Tuesday.

    Greatest line ever.

    I'll see you that and raise you

    "Quick! Change the channel!"

    You don't get great writing like that in modern movies.

    Also, I just saw The Dark Knight. Great movie, Ledger's Joker is absolutely brilliant. Makes me sad that we won't be getting any more of that.

  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Also, I just saw The Dark Knight. Great movie, Ledger's Joker is absolutely brilliant. Makes me sad that we won't be getting any more of that.

    The part that was a real sucker punch;

    (end of movie spoilers)
    Spoiler:

    sigtwo.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Are there any interviews with Ledger in Dark Knight's special features? That's practically a selling point if so.
    Negatory.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Kealoha wrote: »
    theclam wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about this:
    http://www.finallyequal.com/

    Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

    Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

    edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

    Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

    Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

    Third, the art direction in that film looks pretty good.

    Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

    Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

    Nice that they're making it a short film - the trailer almost summed up the whole story.

    Man, the trailer gave me exactly the same sense of depression that the story did. Actually, everything in the trailer looked exactly the way I pictured it back in 7th grade or whenever I first read that story. I'm not sure whether that's a testament to Vonnegut's writing or the director or both, but damn, that trailer gave me chills. I probably would have recognized it in the first 5 seconds if I didn't know that it was an adaptation beforehand.

    So hey, did anyone else think that Bergeron was the villain?


    I really got the impression that for all the evil authoritarian government did, the Ubermensch was just as excited about crushing normal folk beneath his heel.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For everyone who enjoys commentaries and has Batman: The Dark Knight on Blu Ray, you should sign up for Warner Bros BD live and log in on your Dark Knight DVD.

    You might get an invitation to the 10,000 person screening of TDK with Chis Nolan doing a live commentary and answering questions.

    I signed up yesterday and accepted my invite.

    Sounds great, since there isn't a commentary track on the movie.

    Here's the message I got:
    Spoiler:

    Spec_Banner.png
  • WobblieWobblie Registered User
    edited December 2008
    The Day The Earth Stood Still is so dissapointing to me. I read the plot summary and it's a shell of the original plot. Did Bruckheimer produce it and Bay direct it or something? It read, and trailered, like they went away from the thought provoking plot to "BOOM! EXPLOSIONS! DEATH! WOOO!"

    That movie was fucking awful. It tried to not be some cliche sci-fi movie, but just made itself absolutely boring in the process. The very least they could've done is made more unnecessary action to cover up how bad the plot was, but they couldn't even do that right. I feel like I saw that entire movie in the preview and had just watched an hour and a half of bullshit.

    siggyem2.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    For everyone who enjoys commentaries and has Batman: The Dark Knight on Blu Ray, you should sign up for Warner Bros BD live and log in on your Dark Knight DVD.

    You might get an invitation to the 10,000 person screening of TDK with Chis Nolan doing a live commentary and answering questions.

    I signed up yesterday and accepted my invite.

    Sounds great, since there isn't a commentary track on the movie.

    Here's the message I got:
    Spoiler:

    As awesome as that sounds, I'm annoyed that there's no commentary track.

    scale3nk0.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope they will offer it as a downloadable commentary afterwards.

    Only makes sense.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TS, where do I go to sign up for that?

    I hope to hell they offer it after, or worst case someone records it and leaks it.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    TS, where do I go to sign up for that?

    I hope to hell they offer it after, or worst case someone records it and leaks it.
    You need to buy the Blu Ray version of TDK, then sign up for the WB's BD Live service...which I cannot remember the web address for.

    It should pop up if you try to access the online stuff on the movie.

    You then need to take said movie online and check out the special features.

    Then cross your fingers and hope for an e-mail.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    TS, where do I go to sign up for that?

    I hope to hell they offer it after, or worst case someone records it and leaks it.
    You need to buy the Blu Ray version of TDK, then sign up for the WB's BD Live service...which I cannot remember the web address for.

    It should pop up if you try to access the online stuff on the movie.

    You then need to take said movie online and check out the special features.

    Then cross your fingers and hope for an e-mail.

    oh that's all? great I'll do it tonight.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

    I gotta watch them.

    honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

    I gotta watch them.

    honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

    I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.

  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

    I gotta watch them.

    honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

    I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.
    Nolan isn't a fan of special features at all.

    He thinks they detract from the movie experience.

    Which is no fun.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    damn, I hate when artists I really like think things I completely disagree with.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    damn, I hate when artists I really like think things I completely disagree with.
    Yeah, I was really interested to see Heath goofing off on set, a little insight into the actual man before he died and whatnot, right?

    Nah, Nolan thinks it discredits an actor to show blooper reels.

    Something about showing their faults.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    blooper reals I can live without but if I had to say yes or no one them, I'd say yes because more features is always better.

    that nazi.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | WiiU-Variable | 3DS-3866-8105-7478 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Hearthstone%20DoA.png
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I do not care for extras.

    Nolan and I are clearly soul mates.

    PSN: allenquid
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I do not care for extras.

    Nolan and I are clearly soul mates.

    I'd normally agree. It's fun to check out a documentary every once and a while, but it's not a selling point to me. I do wish the better directors would be willing to do a commentary detailing the how's and why's of certain situations. It seems like all the movies that don't need a commentary do of the lead actors having a circle jerk.

Sign In or Register to comment.