As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only Fast and Furious movie I liked was Initia- I mean Tokyo Drift. I never even touched the second. At least the third used real vehicles.

Are they really doing a fourth? Why?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The only Fast and Furious movie I liked was Initia- I mean Tokyo Drift. I never even touched the second. At least the third used real vehicles.

The 4th is supposed to be the true F&F sequel, in which the original cast reunites.

I liked the 3rd one the most as well.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The 4th is supposed to be the true F&F sequel, in which the original cast reunites.

I liked the 3rd one the most as well.

Out of the current three, Tokyo Drift was definitely my favorite.

So Slumdog Millionaire now has a wide release, I think as I was able to see it in my theater.

Not seeing it is a crime against humanity, and I'll charge everyone for war crimes.

The soundtrack is good too.

Shamus on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Eddie Murphy as... The Riddler? Really? Hmm.. Now I'm curious.

urahonky on
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

It's a BS rumor. I'm sure they're no where near a finished script nor have any casting ideas. Anyways, everybody knows the Riddler will be... John Travolta!

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
    edited December 2008
    Emanon wrote: »

It's a BS rumor. I'm sure they're no where near a finished script nor have any casting ideas. Anyways, everybody knows the Riddler will be... Jackie Chan!

urahonky on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They should just get Jim Carrey to reprise the role. He was the best part of Batman Forever.

reVerse on
    edited December 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    They should just get Jim Carrey to reprise the role. He was the best part of Batman Forever.

That's not saying much, though. :P

urahonky on
    edited December 2008

That's not saying much, though. :P

Now now, Forever wasn't that bad aside from the overuse of bright neon colors everywhere. Also Robin.

Batman & Robin on the other hand... ugh.

reVerse on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For me, the Batman films go "Batman -> Batman Returns -> Giant Joel Schumacher shaped hole -> Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight".

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone seen Gran Torino in its limited intial release? I really want to see it next week and have even convinced the wife that it looks incredibly badass. Early reviews look pretty positive.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

I've been excited for Taken since the trailer first came out

Like six months ago

It's had a good run in French theaters already, I guess it's done pretty well? I don't know I just wanna see it so bad

Same with Gran Torino

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2008
    Holy fuck that Taken movie looks fantastic.

urahonky on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Indeed. Of course, that's like saying hospital jello is the best part of having cancer.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited December 2008
    I don't care what anyone says, Batman Forever was okay

It was cheesy and cliched but it had Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones and that guy who played Alfred and it was okay alright? It was at least better than the first one

Batman and Robin was the terrible one that nearly killed the franchise

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

It was cheesy and cliched but it had Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones and that guy who played Alfred and it was okay alright? It was at least better than the first one

Just so we're clear, by first one, are you making the argument that Batman Forever was better then Batman? That is what you're saying, right? Or, are you saying that it was better then the 1960's Batman movie? You're wrong in either case, but how wrong you ARE varies depending on which movie you consider "first."

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked Seven Pounds, a lot. The story was obvious, the "twist" was obvious, but none of that mattered. Will Smith's best performance to date.

Ninto on
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

Just so we're clear, by first one, are you making the argument that Batman Forever was better then Batman? That is what you're saying, right? Or, are you saying that it was better then the 1960's Batman movie? You're wrong in either case, but how wrong you ARE varies depending on which movie you consider "first."

Tim Burton's Batman was a crime committed against Batman and I for one will not stand for it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2008

Tim Burton's Batman was a crime committed against Batman and I for one will not stand for it

But... Batman Forever... is not? Sorry, a bunch of blood just burst from my eyes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tim Burton's Batman was pretty cool for its time, wasn't it?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008

But... Batman Forever... is not? Sorry, a bunch of blood just burst from my eyes.

Batman Forever was at least intentionally entertaining

Tim Burton's Batman has a terrible joker and a terrible Batman and a terrible plot and a terrible batsuit

The only thing it has going for it really is the visual aesthetic

The Adam West Batman movie was great and still is great, so we can agree it is better than Forever

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Atleast Forever was better than the all-around horrible Begins.

reVerse on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck you all, BAtman, Begins and Forever were good films. If not for Robin and Two-Face it would've been awesome. Before I knew Batman didn't kill people, BAtman was a pretty bad ass film with a bad ass Batman as the anti-hero.

Really, comic Batman is a god damn pussy really lately, he needs to kill someone.

DarkWarrior on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy fuck that Taken movie looks fantastic.

Yeah I can't wait to see it, either. Hopefully it will actually get something of a wide release, although Fox has been acting kind of strange about their lack of marketing for it.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have never seen so much wrong in a thread.

Couscous on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ebert Reviews The Wrester

God, I can't wait to see this movie.

Kyougu on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Doubt last night. It was above average though I still wish I arrived at the theater at an earlier or later time to see one of the other movies I wanted to see. It did keep my attention though.

At the end of the film when most of the people had left the theater and I was still sitting there with friends I burst out laughing because of the ambiguity of the film.

Doxa on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Marley and Me and cried multiple times and left both incredibly happy and sad. Good movie. The general consensus of people that didn't like it was that there wasn't a lot of drama and it was pretty much just about the dog and the family growing up. Which makes them retards.

Though pretty much all of the dialogue between Anniston and Owen were crap.

Quid on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I saw Marley and Me and cried multiple times and left both incredibly happy and sad. Good movie. The general consensus of people that didn't like it was that there wasn't a lot of drama and it was pretty much just about the dog and the family growing up. Which makes them retards.

Though pretty much all of the dialogue between Anniston and Owen were crap.

The movie about a dog was about a dog?!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    if slumdog millionaire is in wide release all of you must see it or perish

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm a big fan of Danny Boyle's previous movies, so I'm going to see it, but honestly, why is it so good? The premise sounds dreadful.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I liked the book, although the author came across as a bit of a dick in his intro

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

I'm a big fan of Danny Boyle's previous movies, so I'm going to see it, but honestly, why is it so good? The premise sounds dreadful.
    it just is a really well made, heartwarming, awesome, movie

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought Johnny Depp was the official Rumored Riddler.

PantsB wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

Boobs and Neil Patrick Harris?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw Valkyrie yesterday, and it was indeed awesome. It probably won't demand much attention come awards season, but it is definitely worth seeing. Tightly paced, and manages to stay full of intrigue despite the fact that you know how it will end going in.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited December 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Saw Valkyrie yesterday, and it was indeed awesome. It probably won't demand much attention come awards season, but it is definitely worth seeing. Tightly paced, and manages to stay full of intrigue despite the fact that you know how it will end going in.

Yeah? That movie actually looked really good to me. I like the premise.

urahonky on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw Valkyrie today with the boyfriend.

It was actually pretty good.

Alot better than I was expecting it to be. I thought it would be a Tom Cruise ego-flick. It really wasn't.

lonelyahava on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Valk was pretty good.

Totally saw the ending coming, but still.

Fencingsax on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Let's see...

Doubt - Was damn good, but not great. I really liked the ending, and every performance was damn strong. If this doesn't win at least one acting Academy award that'll be a crime.

Slumdog Millionaire - So far probably the best movie I've seen all year. Really really anyone that has the chance should go see this.

UnknownSaint on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

Actually, of the four Burton/Schumacher movies, I'd easily consider Forever to be the best.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg