As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engineering Graduate School

KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, I have been thinking about graduate school in engineering. Currently I am an applied math/economics major. Can people speak from experience/general knowledge on what the requirements are?

Katholic on

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to bump this... because I'm in my junior year as an applied math major with an econ minor. And no one's answered this guys question.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought a graduate career in engineering required a bachelors degree in engineering to begin with. There's a bunch of stuff engineers do that nobody else does.

Serpent on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Check with the school(s) that you're thinking about going to. Each one will be a little different on their admissions requirements.

Also, which area of engineering (electrical, civil, mechanical, etc.) are you interested in? The requirements for each discipline will be different as well.

At Arizona State, for instance, here's the general admission requirements for MSE/Civil Environmental Engineering:
    Applicants are expected to satisfy all requirements for admission to the Graduate College. Entry into this program normally requires a bachelor's degree with a major in engineering or in a closely related bachelor's degree program. The student's credentials for admission are evaluated by the Specialty Area Coordinator (SAC) or by a committee chaired by the SAC. A minimum requirement is an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (applicants with a lower GPA may be provisionally admitted at the discretion of the admission committee). A student whose undergraduate degree is not in civil engineering is required to take appropriate undergraduate courses as deficiency courses to establish a base of knowledge in the discipline. Deficiencies for admission to the graduate degree programs are specified at the time of admission and details can be obtained at the Graduate Studies section of the department's Web site.

Applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and have the scores sent to Graduate College. TOEFL scores must be submitted by international applicants and applicants whose maternal language is not English. Applicants with TOEFL scores of 550 (83 on the Internet-based test, 213 on the computer-based examination) or higher may be regularly admitted without requiring further language study. Applicants with scores below 550 may be regularly admitted but must complete study in ASU's American English and Culture Program (AECP) before enrolling in course work in the academic program.

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3