For a long while now I've wanted to go a-tripping around the 'murrca. I was planning to go with my friend but due to financial constraints and other things he's had to bow out. Now, I've never really traveled alone. With others, but not on my own. And frankly, I'm not sure if I'd want to for an extended period of time. I might, but I don't know, and it seems an awfully big gamble to take when you're not sure. But I've been increasingly warming to a notion that I think is very possible, all things pending.
How would you guys like to be my points of contact on my road trip?
This is a very loose plan of what I have in mind. Subject to change. Florida is currently unlikely as I don't fancy traveling another couple of thousand miles just to get to Miami (the only real area I'm interested in Within the Wang). As far as things go it looks like I'll chip straight to Montgomery AL then down to New Orleans...
I will have pretty free reign, though I don't expect to be deviating into the dustbowl and midwest that much as you can see. Sorry if you happen to live there, but there's just less I want to see there in comparison to the places I have marked out already. Mostly, though, I will be able to move around at will.
To give you an idea of what I had in mind - well, pretty much any measure of hospitality that you guys feel like extending, either solo, in groups, or with friends, or family... Local knowledge, that sort of thing. By my reckoning, one well-versed local is more than a match for a notebook guide much of the time. Show me what's on, where to go, perhaps some food (see below!). Maaaaybe even a place to shack up if you're feeling particularly kind? <3
I realise this is a little bit audacious. But truth is, as I said before, I don't really feel like risking it alone if I might not enjoy it. I also want to attend PAX '09 for a day or so too. I feel like I know quite a lot of you quite well now, and the community atmosphere here is just great much of the time.
This is really a tester, then, to see the potential interest in leading a Brit by the hand around your cities, states, towns and country.
It'd be rude and presumptuous of me to not offer some information about me, though. So in the spirit of dating services everywhere...
Name: Phillip D
Occupation: Student. Will be graduated by the time I have this planned for.
- Almost everything
- Seeing things I couldn't possibly see in England (for example, I'd love to check out a midnight rodeo)
- Walking around pretty much anywhere
- Art & culture
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty
- Any cafés, pizza parlours, restaurants etc that I simply have to see
- Going on a rifle range (duh)
- Small musical venues, gigs
- Lounge bars etc
- LAN cafés
- Anything else you think is neat
- Seeing you guys!
- PAX '09
- Can drive
- Can cook (and will totally cook in exchange for hospitality)
- Can navigate pretty well
- Being a classy fuck
- Can write. Will be keeping a diary, which is apparently some sort of paper-based blog
- Fine with kids and pets. Parents also generally love me.
- Politics & diplomacy
- Art & beauty
- Literature & language
- Foreign & current affairs
- Other things too
- edit: I am also a total foodie, if slightly picky (don't like fish/seafood for example)
And a couple of things I think would be a good idea to mention.
- Drink. I don't really drink much in the way of alcohol. I never really got the taste for it. I am happy for this to stay this way as I currently save a lot of money. As a result...
- I'm not hugely interested in loud and noisy bars. That's a bit vague, I know. I prefer cafés most of the time.
- I also have something up with the eustachion tube in my left ear. Whilst this is not a problem at all, it becomes one if I get exposed to seriously loud noises. That, coupled with my disinterest in drink, means that clubs don't hold much for me either. I can do gigs, but not things like metal or extremely heavy rock.
- The last thing I think worth mentioning is that explicit religion can make me a little uncomfortable. I'm not going to cause problems or anything - I'm not Qingu, I'm fine with bowing my head for grace etc, but if I'm asked to go to church or something, I'll probably have to politely decline.
Lastly, my budget. Without going into the particulars, I don't expect to run into difficulties. However, I wouldn't be looking to spend much more than $50 a day, and I probably couldn't keep that up on a per diem basis either. However, I haven't crunched the numbers yet, so this is just a loose outline at the minute - more for your convenience than mine.
I put myself into your hands. If there's enough interest then this shit will be on and I will start figuring out a very tentative schedule.
Could you post either here or in a PM to me if you're interested? I'll only need to know your location for now, but it'd be a big help if you could provide other detail, like age etc. - and especially if you want to tell me the kinds of places and things you'd like to show me
Disclaimer: If there's an unexpectedly large turnout, I may not be able to fit everyone in. That's presumptuous, though. All PMs will be treated with utmost privacy.
I hope people are as up for it as I am