Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[VOTE] AC Challenge Thread: Song Lyric Interpretation

bombardierbombardier mr. mullyVancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
edited December 2008 in Artist's Corner
1. Surfpossum

20081109the%20wretched.jpg
Spoiler:

2. Earthwormadam

yoshimi.jpg
Spoiler:

3. Winter Combat Knight

jjsn60.jpg
Spoiler:

4. exit

thenewzeronj7.jpg
Spoiler:

5. Antihippy

Where-is-my-mind.jpg
Spoiler:

6. lyrium

heart.jpg
Spoiler:

7. the monarch23

creepingdeathcopycopy.png
Spoiler:

8. CyberMonkeytron3000

pluginbabyjs1.jpg
Spoiler:

9. ManonvonSuperock

pinballcolors.jpg
Spoiler:

10. Ollie

fire-escape-crop.jpg
Spoiler:

SONG LYRIC INTERPRETATION

Is there a band of yours that you think, "My God, that's a great line," or "What? That...doesn't make any sense," or maybe, "These lyrics suck so bad; why did I buy tickets to this random concert for a band I hate?" but either way, the lyrics paint a great picture? Now is your chance, I guess, if you've for some reason been dreaming about a similar opportunity.

Just pick a song, any song from any genre, take a line from it and visualize it literally. REMEMBER: when you post it, put the band name, song title and the lyric you're interpreting or else it's just a picture. You need context.

Deadline: November 23rd

~ BI-WEEKLY CHALLENGE THREAD ~

For those of you who frequent the conceptart.org forums this should be pretty familiar; tens of artistic combatants thrown together in to an artistic arena, each struggling for the honor of being dubbed a master of the visual arts. Those of you who succeed will be bathed in glory and the blood of their competitors, those of you who fail will be exiled to a life of shame and isolation.

The aim of this thread is to try and spice things up a bit here in the ol' Artist's Corner. This thread is for entries in to the challenge or the discussion thereof. If you'd like to suggest a topic for the weekly challenge, go right ahead, but understand that the last winner of the challenge has total control over the task (unless they have won more than two challenges in a row, see rules).

The rules are simple;

RULES:

* One entry per person, per challenge.
* A contestant cannot win more than two challenges in a row.
* Winner gets the privilege of choosing the next challenge.
* At the end of a challenge, the thread is locked and a new one is begun.
* Stick to the challenge topic; no going off on a tangent.
* All formats welcome, whether they be traditional or digital; 2D or 3D; still or animated.

If you're looking for inspiration, check out the aforementioned conceptart.org forums (specifically the creature/environment/character of the week sections).

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES:

CHALLENGE 1: Hidden World
CHALLENGE 2: Red Vs Blue
CHALLENGE 3: Satan Teapot
CHALLENGE 4: Crime Fighting Hobo
CHALLENGE 5: Universal Monsters

bombardier on

• MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If anyone steals my sig I'm going to crack the biggest shit fit!

• RandomActionRandomAction Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Mustang wrote: »

I wouldn't worry... or would I?
    :winky:

[SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum ye olde city of subdued excitementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I'm a bit of a lurker (I've posted once or twice), but I just had to make an entry for this challenge. Info is in the spoiler; if anyone can guess it, it'll make me ever so happy.

20081109the%20wretched.jpg
    Spoiler:

I guess I bit off more than I could chew with the whole wacky city perspective and all, but I hope for the most part it works, and that the copy-paste'd windows have been disguised enough.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mustang wrote: »

That sounds... messy.

D:

Also, I quite like the above entry, but you're right about the perspective.

EDIT: I was going to do a drawover, but I just realised GIMP doesn't really have an adequate tool for drawing straight lines. Unless there's one I'm missing.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum ye olde city of subdued excitementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Click with a brush type tool for the start point, and then hold down shift, and then click for the end point.
    Edit: Guess I can also add that if you're using a tablet, the line goes smoothly from the pressure you started with to the pressure you ended with. The 'fade out' effect also applies along the line if you have it checked.
    And yes, I was going for a fisheye view, not sure if it's supposed to be full circles or not but oh well.

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Click with a brush type tool for the start point, and then hold down shift, and then click for the end point.

THANK YOU this has been bugging me, I knew there had to be a good way to do it.

• winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Surfpossum, don't be a lurker. I want to see more of your work! :)

I know i say it all the time, and nothing ever happens but... IM SO DOING THIS ONE!!!

BTW i shotgun ALL of Michael Jacksons songs. Yes i can.

• CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Info is in the spoiler; if anyone can guess it, it'll make me ever so happy.

I got the disk and the band, if that makes your cheeks red.

useless but necessary objects of society.
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had 18 ideas for this.
    I think I've picked one though...

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had a project similar to this that I did for class last spring. I did not have it as done as I would've liked to have by the due date. I will go back and finish it for this.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've got an idea, and this sounds like fun.

sig2.jpg
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I'm a bit of a lurker (I've posted once or twice), but I just had to make an entry for this challenge. if anyone can guess it, it'll make me ever so happy.
    Knew it was NIN straight away :P

edited November 2008
    yoshimi.jpg
    Spoiler:

sig2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Earthwormadam, that is sweet!

edited November 2008
    Epic Adam, that's definate my new favourites of yours.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I really need to find time to do this

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes you do Rank.

Yes you do.

tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! HEY SATAN
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure I could get arrested for drawing most of the lyrics that come to mind for something like this

god damn it, GG Allin, what have you done to my brain

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rank, I'm doing The Sword: Iron Swan.

All the other metal is yours.

tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! HEY SATAN
  • NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    earthwormadam, that is flippin fantastic.

rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
    edited November 2008
    Well, thought i'd may as well do something for this over the weekend as i wont have any chance during the week. Just drew the first thing that came to mind. Done with pencil, painted over/refined in photoshop.

Song: Smooth Criminal

jjsn60.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know the lyrics (shame on you)
    Spoiler:

• exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    this was so much better in my head
    also: i don't have a scanner D: so please pretend this is better quality
    also #2: please pretend it's less crookedy too oh god i hate using a camera

thenewzeronj7.jpg

song stuff behind the cut!
    Spoiler:

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey all. Been lurking these parts alot, but never posted, though I thought I might as well put this one in.

Pixies- Where is my Mind???

With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
    Try this trick and spin it, yeah
    Your head will collapse
    When there's nothing in it
    And you'll ask yourself

Where is my mind?

Way out in the water
    See it swimmin'

Where-is-my-mind.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    ilove this album! i was actually going to do somethign similar but the giant pink robots were going to be football players in pink polos with the colars popped :P

edited November 2008
    Man, looking at the lack of responses to the challenge, im guessing all the fantastic illustrators on this forum are cooking up some incrediable work. Can't wait to see it all!

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm neither fantastic nor much of an illustrator but I hope I can get something finished in time!

• LinkWorshiperLinkWorshiper Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Got this one from the Placebo song 'English Summer Rain'. Here's the bit that motivated the image in particular.

Always stays the same;
    Nothing ever changes.
    English summer rain
    Seems to last for ages.

I'm in the basement;
    You're in the sky.
    I'm in the basement, baby:
    Drop on by.

Hold your breath and count to ten,
    Then fall apart, then start again.
    Start again, start again.

Anyway, I hope you like it. It was done on Bristol board, inked with a quill pen, three colours of ink and a pile of Copic markers. Also matches. No, srsly, I used them to burn some of the shadows in there.

English_Summer_Rain_by_LinkWorshiper.jpg

edited November 2008
    Anyway, I hope you like it. It was done on Bristol board, inked with a quill pen, three colours of ink and a pile of Copic markers. Also matches. No, srsly, I used them to burn some of the shadows in there.

It's pretty cool to experiment like that. You can get some crazy cool effects by doing the weirdest things. My tutor said he once mixed dirt from his backyard into his paints and it gave him a really cool effect. Of course he had to spray it down otherwise it would break apart.

edited November 2008
    Whoa cool fricken colors...

sig2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Thanks guys! My brain is like on a constant acid trip; I love doing art like this because I can pretty much do whatever I want and it's not as straightforward and easy for the viewer. There's a bunch of gold and silver ink in there, but the scan kind of killed the effect of that.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God dammit Link

Thread over.

0WBv0.png
    edited November 2008
    'Scuuuuuuuuse me for breathing D=

edited November 2008
    No you see that's what people say when somebody posts something that is guaranteed to win (i.e. CyberMonkeyTron's Hobot from the last thread), thereby making it unnecessary for anyone else to make stuff.

Although this doesn't have quite the... finality of Hobot. Not saying it's bad at all (it's very nice if not quite my cup of tea), but I'm about 95% confident that Hobot was both untoppable and unstoppable.

So hurry up and post things, people. I judge you by the music you listen to.

edited November 2008
    Ehhh I had some priliminary sketches done for this....but I just couldn't be arsed finishing it.....plus my idea was horrible, that being said most of my ideas are horrible so it's not really much of an excuse.

Yeah Hobot was the thread equivilant of a nuclear bomb, Links is fantoostic but my vote is still going towards Adams pink robots though, I could hang that shit on my wall.

edited November 2008
    OHHHHH! A THOUSAND APOLOGIES. OMG, I FEEL SO DUMB D= Then thank you so much O__O!!! I'm really glad you like it so much! I love drawing things inspired by music because I listen to way too much of it, so when I saw this thread, I was like, 'I must!' But having said that, those pink robots in question are pretty fucking sweet.

*goes to check out this Hobot pic you guys are fangasming over*

• BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been so very temped to toss my hat into this illustrative arena, but I doubt I'll have the time, especially with less than three days left. Sooooo tempting though. Perhaps if I can find some appropriate lyrics I could cobble together the shittiest doodle, the likes of which no son of man has laid eyes upon.

Maybe I should start sifting through my iTunes....

edited November 2008
    I've never really listened to this band all that much but I liked the idea so I went with it.

heart.jpg

Spoiler:

edited November 2008
    Totally digging the colours, Lyrium!!

edited November 2008
    Thanks!

Oh, Antihappy, I've really liked that song ever since I watched Fight Club :D

edited November 2008
    So far my votes going for earthwormadam! Too good.