As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trimming the beard

MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizardRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the trim lines on facial hair straight and even? I keep my neck shaved up to my jawline (to avoid a neckbeard) with my beard, and dispite being careful I always have to have my barber straighten it up every few weeks because I manage to either miss a big patch or take a chunk out.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
MagicPrime on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you trim in the morning? Move it to the night time, stubble is less noticeable/cared about with a beard so going to the night times isn't a big deal.

I have a hard time shaving/trimming straight in the morning because I'm still half asleep.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PulvaanPulvaan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you own a beard trimmer? If not, its a good investment.

All I do with mine is trim below the jawline. after a little practice it always comes straight.

Pulvaan on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trimmmmer. Do it. Dooo it.

You can't get good lines with some six bladed razorfield monstrosity. A simple single blade safety razor works semi-okay, but a trimmer and a sure hand will not only tighten up the lines, but allow you to sort of graze the outside thickeness of the beard, cutting off strays and providing a more uniform look.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The trick I was taught is to press your finger up flush along your jaw, then use that as a guide. But yeah, I also pretty much just wing it, it's easy to eyeball if you do the corners first and work your way in instead of doing the left side and then the right side.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll also recommend a beard trimmer with an adjustable guard so that the length is uniform.

Also, feel free to let that beard grow a few inches down your neck...most people shave their beard way too high. If you don't believe me, Esquire says so, and they won't do you wrong.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I'll also recommend a beard trimmer with an adjustable guard so that the length is uniform.

Also, feel free to let that beard grow a few inches down your neck...most people shave their beard way too high. If you don't believe me, Esquire says so, and they won't do you wrong.

Honestly, the beard they depict as "all wrong" looks very well groomed and professional. That's just me, though.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, just use some sort of trimmer. If you can't get a straight line with that, you may just have to rely on your barber. I just wing it and it always looks fine. As long as it's roughly even on both sides and tends to taper up with the jawline, it shouldn't look bad.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Honestly, the beard they depict as "all wrong" looks very well groomed and professional. That's just me, though.

I would think that going that far down the neck looks ugly as all hell, slightly under the neck/chin line of your jaw is what I aim for, anything else looks very unkempt or that you're a sasquatch.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    bowen wrote: »

I would think that going that far down the neck looks ugly as all hell, slightly under the neck/chin line of your jaw is what I aim for, anything else looks very unkempt or that you're a sasquatch.

It's more a problem of using a two-dimensional illustration to represent a three-dimensional object. If you follow the written suggestion (one inch band slightly above your adam's apple) you're good to go. Especially if you have a very defined jawline (little to no jowl between your chin and neck) having your beard stop before that chin/neck border looks kind of weird. If you've got a fat neck that basically starts right underneath your jaw, obviously you have to improvise.

I agree with you that slightly below the chin/neck border is the way to go.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Agreed, and since I'm an asshole and never agree with anyone (olol) this should count for more.

And consider also the presence of this finely groomed gentleman in their sidebar ad (spoilered for being an ad):
    sec4nn.gif
    whose facial hair is obviously a style we should all follow.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm going to blame the 2d picture, because a beard that does stop at the A line on a real face has never looked good. Pretending that a face looks like an L, you need to grow out your beard partway along the horizontal leg. When I think of all the worst facial hair of the last ten years, there's a good selection of guys who cut it off right at the corner, or even above it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Question:

I have no trouble trimming the beard but I always find myself dreading the endeavor because of the small lake of face-pubes I create in the process. I usually try to throw a paper towel or 2 over the sink to try and catch most of them, but I still always wind up having to wipe down the counter to get them all. How do you guys avoid tedious cleanup- or do you?

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Smurph wrote: »
    Question:

I have no trouble trimming the beard but I always find myself dreading the endeavor because of the small lake of face-pubes I create in the process. I usually try to throw a paper towel or 2 over the sink to try and catch most of them, but I still always wind up having to wipe down the counter to get them all. How do you guys avoid tedious cleanup- or do you?

I have a trimmer from Norelco that actually has a little vacuum that sucks the hairs in. It works, sort of. Easiest option is to unfold a newspaper on the counter over the sink.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Smurph wrote: »
    Question:

I trim my beard with a trimmer over the toilet. All you have to do is wipe the rim after you are finished.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just go nuts over the sink, use some toilet paper to wipe everything down into the sink, pick up the majority of it with the toilet paper and flush it (or throw it away), then rinse the small bits down the sink. Takes less than a minute.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Also don't shave right on your jawline, it makes you look weird.

If you have a full beard, it should extend to roughly an inch above the adam's apple.

Doc on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think my beard does that Doc, now you have me all paranoid.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net