As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circuit City, Extended Warranties, and Bankruptcy

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been posting in the TV thread in Moe's since Black Friday ads were released because my old 50" DLP has shitty viewing angles, no HDMI, and is about to blow a bulb again. I'm looking at 52" LCDs, and have mostly been looking at BestBuy because I'm used to their extended warranties working very well. However, Circuit City's price drops cannot be ignored:

Samsung 52" LCD 750 series: 2800 bestbuy, 2200 circuit city
Samsung 52" LCD 850 series: not even on floor at bestbuy, 2500 circuit city. the 46" was $2600 at bestbuy.
Sony 52" XBR 6: 2600 bestbuy, 2500 circuit city (but it's on sale at bestbuy, when that's over, price back up).

I'm looking at that 750 being $2200, and I'm thinking I may have to snap that up. But I don't know anything about extended warranties at Circuit City, nor do I know if they're going to be supported when the stores close up for good. Does anyone have experience with them, or with extended warranties in general after a company goes under?

Note: This is NOT the place to tell me an extended warranty in general is a waste of money. My experience with them on my cell phone, camera, and computer speakers, have all been extremely positive and have saved me a ton of money.

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I've been posting in the TV thread in Moe's since Black Friday ads were released because my old 50" DLP has shitty viewing angles, no HDMI, and is about to blow a bulb again. I'm looking at 52" LCDs, and have mostly been looking at BestBuy because I'm used to their extended warranties working very well. However, Circuit City's price drops cannot be ignored:

Samsung 52" LCD 850 series: not even on floor at bestbuy, 2500 circuit city. the 46" was $2600 at bestbuy.
    Sony 52" XBR 6: 2600 bestbuy, 2500 circuit city (but it's on sale at bestbuy, when that's over, price back up).

I'm looking at that 750 being $2200, and I'm thinking I may have to snap that up. But I don't know anything about extended warranties at Circuit City, nor do I know if they're going to be supported when the stores close up for good. Does anyone have experience with them, or with extended warranties in general after a company goes under?

Note: This is NOT the place to tell me an extended warranty in general is a waste of money. My experience with them on my cell phone, camera, and computer speakers, have all been extremely positive and have saved me a ton of money.

I would see if you can price match it at best buy first. You know, haggle and negotiate with the seller.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Surely you could either go to their website or visit a store and ask to see a paper copy of the terms of their extended warranty. Once you have that document you surely should be able to see the terms and what happens if the retailer goes bankrupt. Potentially the extended warranty is held by a separate company and might survive that situation. Best advice is not to believe anything like this until you see it on the fine print

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I like both of these ideas. Although I doubt BestBuy will haggle too much here...the Circuit City prices are obviously being driven by them going out of business, so they're not typical sale prices. I'll try though. I'll also look at the fine print in CC's extended warranty. But I'm also looking for general experiences with CC's ext. warranty. For example, at Best Buy I've brought stuff in and gotten it replaced same day. My laptop came back within a week. From Newegg, I got a new (and upgraded :)) camera in 4 days. I'm looking for anyone who can vouch for Circuit City, or has gone through hell trying to make a claim on their system.

Thanks for the help!

Scrublet on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like both of these ideas. Although I doubt BestBuy will haggle too much here...the Circuit City prices are obviously being driven by them going out of business, so they're not typical sale prices. I'll try though. I'll also look at the fine print in CC's extended warranty. But I'm also looking for general experiences with CC's ext. warranty. For example, at Best Buy I've brought stuff in and gotten it replaced same day. My laptop came back within a week. From Newegg, I got a new (and upgraded :)) camera in 4 days. I'm looking for anyone who can vouch for Circuit City, or has gone through hell trying to make a claim on their system.

Thanks for the help!

Here in Canada at least BestBuy will price match anything (and beat it by 10% of the difference), as long as they can call the store and verify that it is in stock. Worth a try at least.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=cat12098&entryURLType=&categoryId=cat10011&type=page&entryURLID=&contentId=1118843518460
    Two more great reasons to buy with confidence at Best Buy.
    If you are about to make a purchase and discover a lower advertised price offered by a local retail competitor on the same available brand and model, let us know and we'll match that price on the spot.

NP on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Sony is in stock, but it's only $100 cheaper than it is at best buy right now. The Samsung 7 is out of stock locally so it won't be eligible for a price matching per Best Buy's policy. However, checking this out did show me that the Samsung 8 is currently not available at all online or otherwise, so I can cross that off the list. Thankfully the Samsung 850 is just a thinner, lower-profile Samsung 750. Still, knocking off $100 from the Best Buy Sony price may be an option, and I think it's equivalent to the Samsung 750.

Thanks for bringing this up, I was never aware BestBuy had this because it's been so long since I went to a different store.

Scrublet on