As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Something broke my JPEGs

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently I had some computer problems in the form of an annoying Trojan. Now, I'm not sure if it was that since I don't think Trojans are generally that malicious, but something about the same time seemed to have edited ALL of the JPEG files on my computer into 4.33kb 407x479 images that just say "FileError_22001" in red text. I downloaded a JPEG just to see and it was fine from just downloading, but I haven't tried resetting or anything.

I tried a Yahoo search and all it got me was a few Yahoo Questions that I didn't get much useful out of.

The main thing I'm curious about is if there is anyway to get back all of those pictures. Will a system restore to when I knew they were there fix it, or am I mostly boned on trying to get them without having to try and search for all of them online to hopefully replace them one by one.

KurnDerak on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like something like the ILoveYou virus, which basically overwrites files such as Jpegs with copies of itself.

I think unless you have a backup of the original files then they're gone. System Restore only records key files required for the computer to function such as the registry, it doesn't create back-ups of all the files on your hard drive (your disk space would quickly fill up if it did).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright, thanks. I really need to start keeping backups of stuff like this.

KurnDerak on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    one little addendum to the above. I had an ILoveYou variant hit me in highschool, and it did something similar with all my mp3s. It turned them all into .vbs files. But I don't know if it was just a gimped version or what, because with a little digging, I found that all it had done was hide the original files and make vbs files with the same name. So you might wanna take a look around and see if it just did something similar instead of overwriting your stuff.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    It hides MP3 and MP2 files and makes duplicates of itself with the same name (but with .mp3.vbs file extension) but typically deletes jpegs outright and then makes a copy of itself with the file name plus .jpg.vbs

Not sure why, but that's it's known MO.

Szechuanosaurus on